Lt. Commander
# 21
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I recently sat down and took some screen shots comparing the low vs. high detail settings in STO. These pics can give you a decent idea of what you can expect if following the OP's great advice.
Lt. Commander
# 22 gup - specific
01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
i was one of the many who were stuck in a loading screen for light years....then a read a post concerning graphical settiins, and decided to turn everything waaaaaay down. pow! it has loaded great every time!

so now here is my question: are there specific options i can tweak that will only slighty hinder performance? i know my specifica card / computer can make a world of difference...i guess i'm looking for features that only pose a minor dip in fps.

for example, i have noticed in the games that i play, that if i turn shadows to low or off, i get a massive increase in framerate, which allows much room to tweak in other areas. however, i still get a ton of lag from the Starbase 24 fight.

since i don't have a fps counter for STO, i can't get an exact idea of which features will work for me. can anyone break down the above (and by the way, wonderfully detailed) list into categories of major and minor fps tweaks? yes i know, it is comp specific ultimately, but please, humor me!

thanks so much for your post, this has helped me immensly!
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Don't most of the graphic options tooltips already give this information (just hover over the option)? I guess its nice having the info listed in the forums (along with some other general OS performance tips), but 2/3 of the guide is in-game already.

Most of the graphic options are all very subjective anyways. My wife and I consider anti-aliasing a deal breaker when turned off (so hardly a minor graphics improvement) and ambient occlusion is a HUGE difference in graphic quality (especially on the ground). That is just the tip of the iceburg....

The best advice you can give is just to look at the tooltips and experiment. The whole guide could be summed up with, "on" = better visual quality and "off" = better performance... just experiment a little.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylr616 View Post
Don't most of the graphic options tooltips already give this information (just hover over the option)?

(...)

Most of the graphic options are all very subjective anyways.
You just answered your own question. But it is subjective from a person who knows what they're talking about.

Quote:
My wife and I consider anti-aliasing a deal breaker when turned off (so hardly a minor graphics improvement)
The OP recommended these settings, along with disabling AA, to help those who are having performance issues on older PCs and/or weak/value-line video cards. If you really want AA, but have to turn it down for performance reasons, it's time to upgrade your video card and/or PC.

Also...

If you have a lot of post processing effects in-game, the AA is actually going to fighting some of it (extra processing work that doesn't need to be done, let alone some objects looking worse with both enabled). Post processing effects are the way to go today and in the future, especially with DirectX 11. If done correctly, the lightning and softening effects over objects blurs edges and makes things much more realistic.

AA was very important back when gaming resolutions were low. It's not such a hot topic these days with very high gaming resolutions and very fine dot pitch measurements on monitors. If you're seeing jaggies on your PC with AA off, then you're probably running a lower resolution coupled with a dot pitch that's too large. As monitor technology progresses, the dot pitch on a monitor will be so fine that the human eye will see diagonal lines as straight.

In the mean time though, for mid and low quality monitors, AA is always there as an option to help.

AA is also very inefficient. 16x AA means the GPU has to run 16 passes on each FRAME in order to smooth lines. That's a huge performance hit instead of 2x, 4x, or no AA. This is also why the numbers jump from 2, to 4, to 8, to 16. The more passes, the less noticeable difference.

Quote:
The best advice you can give is just to look at the tooltips and experiment. The whole guide could be summed up with, "on" = better visual quality and "off" = better performance... just experiment a little.
You totally missed the point of this thread. It's to help boost performance for those who are suffering low framerates. It's not to explain what looks better.

Skylr616, this is what the OP started this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinor View Post
thanks so much for your post, this has helped me immensly!
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-26-2010, 12:30 PM
You can crap in a cup and there are at least a few people in the world that will thank you for it

The benefits garnered from enabling/disabling the settings are subjective, not the descriptions of them (enabling/disabling does exactly what the tool tips describe). They don't give overly precise information because it all varies across different hardware configurations.

The entire post can be summed up in "turn stuff off/down to improve performance". If the thread was really JUST about maximizing performance (and nothing to do with visual quality) then we would just tell folks to turn stuff down. The tool tips in-game already cover most of the info in this thread... I would rather teach a man to fish. Experiment!

No one really cares about the mechanics behind any of the settings (those of us who do, already know)... experiment if you are really dissatisfied with the performance of the game... it is NOT complicated
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
You can crap in a cup and there are at least a few people in the world that will thank you for it

The entire post can be summed up in "turn stuff off/down to improve performance". If the thread was really JUST about improving performance (and nothing to do with visual quality) then we would just tell folks to turn stuff down. The tool tips in-game already cover most of the info in this thread... I would rather teach a man to fish.

No one really cares about the mechanics behind any of the settings (those of us who do, already know)... experiment if you are really dissatisfied with the performance of the game... it is NOT complicated
Then why do you bother posting here? Just to pick an argument? The OP posted something helpful to many users, yet all you want to do is put it down?

Not everyone is as well versed as you or I are with graphic settings, nor is everyone comfortable changing advanced settings there.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Then why do you bother posting here? Just to pick an argument? The OP posted something helpful to many users, yet all you want to do is put it down?

Not everyone is as well versed as you or I are with graphic settings, nor is everyone comfortable changing advanced settings there.
No no! What I'm saying is that things are much easier than the OP is making them out to be. If you want more performance then turn stuff down! If something looks awful after changing a setting, turn it back on... find the right balance.

I'm offering advice to the OP and all the people that are trying to re-invent the wheel here. If people enjoy re-reading the same info out of game then power to them. I am just trying to save some people a lot of time (since the more detailed descriptions in the OP will likely differ from your perception of the graphic changes each setting makes... the advice, essentially, becomes meaningless).

You will not break anything by changing graphic settings... just change stuff and see what happens (there is a default button after all). You might even learn something on your own (spaghetti monster forbid!).
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
No no! What I'm saying is that things are much easier than the OP is making them out to be. If you want more performance then turn stuff down! If something looks awful after changing a setting, turn it back on... find the right balance.

I'm offering advice to the OP and all the people that are trying to re-invent the wheel here. If people enjoy re-reading the same info out of game then power to them. I am just trying to save some people a lot of time (since the more detailed descriptions in the OP will likely differ from your perception of the graphic changes each setting makes... the advice, essentially, becomes meaningless).

You will not break anything by changing graphic settings... just change stuff and see what happens (there is a default button after all). You might even learn something on your own (spaghetti monster forbid!).
Ah, ok, I think I see what you're trying to convey. Sorry for misunderstanding that. Your first post seemed more geared towards a put-down of the purpose of this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Ah, ok, I think I see what you're trying to convey. Sorry for misunderstanding that. Your first post seemed more geared towards a put-down of the purpose of this thread.
The crap in a cup analogy was a bit much, I admit *blush*. I get carried away when I feel I'm on the defensive.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
The crap in a cup analogy was a bit much, I admit *blush*. I get carried away when I feel I'm on the defensive.
No worries, happens to us all, myself included.