Lt. Commander
# 71
08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pmusic View Post
He kind of contradicts himself

"we want to bring star trek to life, I dont want to just create an mmo that just happens to have a star trek skin on it thats somehing that I really want to avoid"

however previously he said...

"we already have an engine, we just slap star trek on it and boom there ya go" or something (not a direct quote).

So To me it sounds like they are tweaking Champions engine to work with star trek, however it will not be as "Technical" as the perpetual game was looking to me.

I just dont want this to be another ST game that fails And I am trying to stay positive...
I think he's responding to two different questions here- in the "slap star trek on it" was in response to how quickly they got game play footage out. And, that's was pretty accurate- they have an engine and to get some quick gameplay footage out all you have to do is slap some skins on it and off you go.

But, he wasn't talking about content. Which is what the first statement you have from him was referring to. That will take more time than creating some skins.
Lt. Commander
# 72
08-25-2008, 01:05 AM
This interview can also be found from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAn3nhf97Y
Lt. Commander
# 73 Thanks Idolo.
08-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanking Idolo for the transcript of the interview back on page 6. Good job matey!
Lt. Commander
# 74
08-25-2008, 06:13 AM
The interview was great
Lt. Commander
# 75
08-25-2008, 06:43 AM
You know the game is going to be great in two reasons:

1. Quote form movie "We aren't going to make a MMO with star trek skin on it"

2. Spock likes it.
Lt. Commander
# 76
08-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthTrooper View Post
You know the game is going to be great in two reasons:

1. Quote form movie "We aren't going to make a MMO with star trek skin on it"

2. Spock likes it.
Plus when your parents are sleeping you can grab their credit card and play
Lt. Commander
# 77
08-25-2008, 08:02 AM
My hats off to Jack and the team. When I see him in these videos and especially on this interview, he comes across as being very matter of fact. It doesn't seem like he is BSing on the game. He gives very straight answers and takes time to think over the question before answering. I bet Jack is probably one of those cool bosses that is easy to work for.

Anyways, thanks to Cryptic for giving us STO and putting up with the rants we post on this forum.
Lt. Commander
# 78
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
Plus when your parents are sleeping you can grab their credit card and play
How did you know
Lt. Commander
# 79
08-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I do have comfort in J. Emmert he knows what he's talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 80 Fire!
08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
I just wish space combat was done from inside the bridge.
He did say space combat was not going to be like dogfighting, so it won't be like flying an airplane by yourself while trying to shoot down an enemy over hostile skies (space). I can only picture therefore a more tactical approach where there's some display of relative position where you can turn, approach, maneuver, shield, divert power, fire phasers or torpedoes, vent plasma, etc., to progress your combat. You won't need a joystick peripheral to win battles in outer space, which is appropriate to the battle conditions most bridge Captains experience.

Ground combat did sound a lot more action oriented however, so instead of being like most MMOs that come to mind (at least that come to MY mind), it might be more like Age of Conan (which I only know about second hand), perhaps also like Champions (which I know nothing about, really).