Lt. Commander
# 31 crash
05-04-2014, 09:02 AM
For every 5 mins play i get one crash on my mac client.
Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
Ensign
# 32
05-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Having the same issues and I just started playing the other day.

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7(overclocked to 3.9)
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021)

Top of the line iMac made to MY specs. This should not be happening at all. Are we going to see a Dev Respond or someone who can tell us if they are working on this? I truly love this game and would adore getting a chance to play it and throw some cash your way, but as of this moment it's Unplayable. Crashes happen every 5 minutes and changing settings doesn't help. Lower graphics changes the FPS but as I have a really fast rig I shouldn't see less than 45 FPS with graphics on ULTRA.
Ensign
# 33
05-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Just loaded the latest update, got in, graphics looked more polished than ever, 5 minutes in...

CRASH.

This is getting old.
Rihannsu
# 34
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
same here, logged on, some graphics glitches were gone...hard shut down required
relogged, verfied put all settings to low/off... 5 min crash.

no way to play, text me when you fix it cryptic uninstalling now.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Ensign
# 35
05-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I have to say it's happening to me now as well I've noticed and it's getting a bit frustrating. When the Mac client first released I wasn't having any issues. Now I can't even get through a Storming the Spire.
Ensign
# 36
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Are we destined never to hear from a Dev? I tried twitter and I get the answer "They must be working on it" deflection.

It's not too much to ask that we get a straight answer as we are consumers unable to consume. We're unable to partake or participate and being left in a vacuum is likely to get people to leave the game. I left Guild Wars 2 over something similar, and it's all to do with the general laziness of the programmers using Cider instead of making a Native Client.

One Mac Native Client and ALL Macs work.

One Cider Port and you have a few working, because you have to patch and finagle around the Windows Issues just as you would if it was Windows. There are dozens of reasons to just go Native, you're running into one of them now.

Enjoy.
Ensign
# 37
05-30-2014, 09:40 AM
I agree... a Cider (I think it's related to the Wine server, but not sure) port is the cheap way out. On the other hand, if they're not willing to commit resources, there wouldn't be ANY Mac client if they didn't do the Cider port.

Not sure which is worse!

I'm able to play for a while at a time (maybe an hour or two) before a crash, but some areas crash every time. For example, I can't complete "The Undying" because I crash as soon as I get beamed into the arena.

We can only hope they have some priority on improving the Mac experience.
Career Officer
# 38
05-30-2014, 09:53 AM
I have to say that I am seriously disappointed (that's the very polite version of what I want to say) with the Mac client.

Until last week I played STO on a Windows PC, it was not a great machine but STO was screaming on it unless in massed combat when I had to turn some gfx settings down.

For various reasons though I needed to get a Mac for serious work and so the Windows PC went and yesterday I took delivery of a Mac Pro - 16GB Ram, dual GPU and so on.

I am pretty sure I get the same level of performance in STO with my MacBook Air as I do with the Mac Pro - that is until the client crashes. The frame rate is awful and switching from full screen to look at mail and then back to full screen is glacial in speed.

From reading the forums I am even more disappointed to see that this is not something new - its been around since the launch of the Mac client.

I really, really do not want to have to install bootcamp which seems to be the only reliable way other have got STO to run on the Mac (one reason being I do not want to have to buy a Windows license just to run STO).

Sadly it looks like my Legacy of Romulus Legacy Pack and Lifetime "subscription" will not be of any use unless I bastardise my system to run two OS's.
Career Officer
# 39
05-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelenko View Post
I really, really do not want to have to install bootcamp which seems to be the only reliable way other have got STO to run on the Mac (one reason being I do not want to have to buy a Windows license just to run STO).

Sadly it looks like my Legacy of Romulus Legacy Pack and Lifetime "subscription" will not be of any use unless I bastardise my system to run two OS's.
^^

That's probably what you'll need to do if you want it to be reliable, unfortunately. I'm not bothered so much by the Mac client being unstable. It's trying to run the game inside an API translation layer. As the game itself, OS X and Mac hardware change around it, I'm not surprised that Cider would require some substantial tweaking to get it stable, and ongoing attention to keep it that way. What bothers me is the decision to drop the "Beta" designation from the Mac client. Taking it out of "Beta" denotes a level of confidence that I don't think the Mac client deserves in its present state. It is very much unstable, and does not perform consistently across different configurations. Considering there far fewer possible Mac configurations than the infinite number of PCs, that's even more frustrating.

Right now, I run STO off of a cobbled together gaming PC that does nothing but run STO. I use the Mac client on my MacBook Pro just for administrative stuff like Doffing and kicking rep projects (partially because my MBP's GPU is crap). I've been considering getting an iMac to mount on an armature by the sofa, or a high end laptop, but odds are I'd wind up Bootcamping it for times when the STO Mac client is unstable or underperforming.
Career Officer
# 40
05-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for that shockwave85 - I sadly think that Bootcamp will be needed indeed as there really does not appear to be any "support". I'm going through the process now - not happy with it but I will see if it is worth it.