Lt. Commander
# 1541
01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
It's a bit difficult to complain about the mechanics being a problem in this event. It's pretty clear that this was a last-minute thing and the current game build isn't designed to cope with the concepts of Klingons in Federation space (lol, being offered Starfleet missions and grrrrr spawn points) or Klingons and Feds having to work together to destroy a greater enemy, while still allowing normal PvP.

I'd like to hope that this event's structure can be repeated down the line, and that the lessons learned here can be taken to make it much better (more/random spawn points, FvF sector space battles [or rather, being able to start a duel in sector space], allowing Klingon/Feds to 'team up' against a larger enemy).

Last night was still pretty enjoyable though - but only once I logged back into my Fed character and tried to fight the losing battle against the Borg at Starbase 1.
Lt. Commander
# 1542
01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
The fact that they had this event on last day of beta is giving me hope that many such events are in store for the STO future. It would be great to have devs and GM's who are active in the entire process.

I've been in and out of MMO's since UO beta and I'm sick of looking for the "perfect" game. There is no such thing as a perfect game. It is what we all make of it. I'm in STO for the long haul.
Lt. Commander
# 1543
01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
well. i did get lot of lagg last night on a mission i was on. it must of been the server overloading with the big mastive fight against the borg! it was everywhere. i couldn't even skip the borg.
Lt. Commander
# 1544
01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnmanuk
i couldn't even skip the borg.
That was the point I think. Either fight in space or on the docks; either way it was a suicide mission lol (literally lol, people were ramming GM Borg Spheres and killing them LOL!!!)
Lt. Commander
# 1545
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRAVE View Post
Not sure many people got close enough for them to use tractor beams - I certainly didnt in my level 3 ship
I must have been lucky! I was close enough for a tractor beam.... if I had one. (I didn't get as far in open beta as I did in closed.)
Lt. Commander
# 1546
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripshredder View Post
HA HA HA My Klingon Aurian, just sneaked into Sol and assasinated the Admiral with a Bath'leth. Sure i died around 18 times or so but i got him
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazier View Post
It's sad they ****ed up this event. The Feds are camping the spawn point at Sol and the Klingons are campingthe spawn point at Starbase 24, no real Fleet-Battle at all.
What's funny is that someone on the Fed side has passed the word around that K7 was going to be invaded (I guess because it was "shared" territory). When nothing was happening at K7 for 5 minutes, I scouted out SB 24 (because that seemed the other logical place, considering it was already "under attack"). I was grouped with 4 other people in my fleet, so I could relay to them and get through all the zone mass-chat.

When I entered SB 24, I immediately died. In fact, I could hear the "computer" saying I was under attack and my shields were down before I finished loading in. Instant death. I respawned and died a few seconds later. Wash, rinse, repeat. After about the fifth time dying (and twice typing in "Nice cowardly ganking by the Klingons" - yeah, I was a bit ticked), I was able to fly my Tier 2 science ship out of the kill zone, using full speed, Evasive Maneuvers, and an Engine Battery device. I had one Klingon BoP chase me and surprisingly, I defeated him. (Yea for aft torpedoes!) I then went after a few Raptors and managed to beat them as well (along with some other Feds helping here and there). I noticed, however, that they were all showing as "0" level difference. Even when I had some BoP chasing me, they all showed the same "0" level difference. I wonder if this was an amazing coincidence or if we were all subtly changed to the same level, combat-wise (I still showed as a LtCmdr 1).

Some surprising things were 1: The standard NPC Klingons were still there and I was given the mission (even though I didn't want it), to kill 50 Klingons, right when I entered. I thought for sure this was 50 player Klingons, but it wasn't. 2: Only when a few Feds managed to escape the gank-fest and by fulling a few Klingons away with them were the Feds able to gain a foot-hold. 3: Once the Feds were winning, they then did the gank-fest , which means I didn't face but 2 more after that (I stayed away from that spot). 4: Two Raptors I chased surprised me because they flew VERY fast. Faster than I could fly with Evasive maneuvers, power allocated to speed + engine battery. One of the two I caught up with (he flew near a Fed player by SB24) I was able to help defeat (with said Fed help), but the other one ended up flying over 20km away before I lost sight of him. I don't know if this was a special set-up or if it was the sfx of the Klingon transwarp.

After being bored, one of the guys in my group said to go to SB1, because the Klingons were attacking there. I used my transwarp and when I got there, it was 1 Klingon. It had been about 20-25 minutes and if this were the "excitement" of the Klingon invasion, I didn't want any more of it. I decided to log off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool031074
THE DEVS NEED to release the BORG on us in SOL!
Apparently they did. I wish I had been there instead of bored with the end beta game. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelCadaver
I kinda expected all the klingons to spawn in cloaked. Why not just let them do that.
That's something that bugged me as well. I tried Klingon for a while and that was one of the annoyances. Coming in cloaked was a STO staple for Klingons and Romulans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycho
Well that will help the klingons, but when the roles from tonight are reversed it's still the same problem, just with fed's being the sacrifical lambs. They need to do something that will work both ways.
Hopefully Cryptic will learn from this. Hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewithaK
seems like everyone here is crying when cryptic has not officially said what the "event" was or what to do. You're calling it a fail, when as far as we know it hasn't happened yet. All they said was for the klingons to gather at qo'nos ... maybe you should wait for something to happen before you declare fail
As of your post, I think it was 23 or 43 minutes into the event. That's plenty of time to realize something was already going on; I'm surprised you didn't pick it up on zone chat.

Cryptic has been very lacking regarding in-game information. I think it's a bit naive, even if hopeful, to expect them to give any more detail other than what they offered before-hand.

Heh, glad you and the others enjoyed it. I know I would have had I stayed around for the real fun to start. Watching some of the videos posted, I thought it very funny when you see this massive battle and every once in a while, a Starfleet NPC would just walk by casually.
Lt. Commander
# 1547
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Did we get some special item for being in the event because I was out with my girlfriend the whole day and didn't get a chance to play.

I know Champions had some special non-combat pet and Title for their end of beta event, which I also missed because I have a job.
Lt. Commander
# 1548
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDoug
Did we get some special item for being in the event because I was out with my girlfriend the whole day and didn't get a chance to play.

I know Champions had some special non-combat pet and Title for their end of beta event, which I also missed because I have a job.
We got a "Thankyou" msg in our TxT window...
Lt. Commander
# 1549
01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
beta was trainin power systems and engage

ride da solar winds n guard ya medic
Lt. Commander
# 1550
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kausten
Sure it got boring kinda fast but lets look at the bright side..

There was ALOT of players on and ALOT of Borgs.. and server havent crashed..
Seeing that is worth everything because im sure those people who thought server stability was a big issue should now realize that it might not be an issue afterall.

On a side note.. i logged off as i had to do something and now i cant get through the patcher as it gives me "account error contact billing" message.
indeed. thats was one MAJOR stress test for the servers. i'm very happy to have seen the servers staying up during the whole event.