Lt. Commander
# 11
08-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I like the information on the customization, makes it seem like each side will have their uniforms without too much variance. This gives me hope that the ship customization wont be overboard.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I think the most interesting thing to come out of this is that the mission areas on planets with away teams will be instanced. Everything else, I think we pretty much knew already. =)
Lt. Commander
Will there be a different language for the races or does every one 'speak English' ? Learning new languages in a 'game' wont be new to me anyhow.

Now what it is would be that if you were Klingon, even though you type in English and read it in English others who are Klingon will see what you typed while those that do not know it will see gibberish or nothing but 'they are talking in some language' .

That is what I mean.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Most of my focus is on Champions. Our Executive Producer Craig Zinkievitch is doing the majority of Star Trek work. My work on STO is mostly support. We sat down, we came up with the initial vision, and now Craig owns that vision - itís up to him to bring it alive.
Now that it's quite clear that Craig Zinkievitch is running the show, and Jack is only supporting him, I'd like to see an interview done with Craig. He is, after all, the man who will be delivering to us STO. Everything to date has focussed on Jack's vision etc. Whilst it most likely would sync in with Craig's, I feel we need to hear more from him.

Good interview, but can the media's please start to annoy Craig!!!!

And can Cryptic please give us a meet and greet with him as well! Give us an interview, an inkling, something more so we can start to connect to Craig, and the work he is currently under taking.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Sorry, this was a wee double posting mistake, cant find the delete button though...
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingaDing
Will there be a different language for the races or does every one 'speak English' ? Learning new languages in a 'game' wont be new to me anyhow.

Now what it is would be that if you were Klingon, even though you type in English and read it in English others who are Klingon will see what you typed while those that do not know it will see gibberish or nothing but 'they are talking in some language' .

That is what I mean.

i think the universal translator would take care of this. unless your in some weird "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra." situation.

But thanks for another Q&A guys, keep the good stuff coming!
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_sisko View Post
Now that it's quite clear that Craig Zinkievitch is running the show, and Jack is only supporting him, I'd like to see an interview done with Craig. He is, after all, the man who will be delivering to us STO. Everything to date has focussed on Jack's vision etc. Whilst it most likely would sync in with Craig's, I feel we need to hear more from him.

Good interview, but can the media's please start to annoy Craig!!!!

And can Cryptic please give us a meet and greet with him as well! Give us an interview, an inkling, something more so we can start to connect to Craig, and the work he is currently under taking.
Yeah, this made me curious. If Jack's only an "asset" for STO, and Craig's the main man, why haven't we heard more from him, instead of someone who's main concern is a completely different game?
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Woohoo! Thanks for the updates!
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-27-2008, 01:01 AM
It was said that character's uniform customization probably wouldn't be seen in STO, that character customization would mostly revolve around physical attributes (hair, eyes, skin, etc.). I think we should have a least a little customization in the uniforms. I know the whole concept of a uniform is so to present a level of everything being same, but in episodes of Star Trek we have seen different uniforms being worn in the same time period.

Examples: In the middle seasons of TNG (3 and 4) we saw the early TNG uniforms without the collar, and the new ones with the collar being worn at the same time. Later when DS9 came out we saw a new uniform with the color on the shoulders, but the crew of the Enterprise and other ships still wore the older uniforms with the color in the midsection. Later in DS9 when they came out with the uniforms with the grey shoulders and colored turtlenecked shirt under it, we still saw the older ones at some time or another.

When Voyager's EMH traveled to the Prometheus why didn't Starfleet upgrade his program with the newer uniform for the rest of the Voyager crew? I think the real reason for this is to keep a few differences between the shows that ran together, but it still shows that uniforms did differ between Starfleet officers from one time to another.

This can also apply to Klingon uniforms. Yes, they all did have relatively uniforms, but there were always small differences between each warrior's uniform. Sometimes one would be wearing a sash, some would have writing on their gauntlets, the shoulder pieces sometimes had a few different variations, plus there's the emblem of their house that was usually worn on the arm or a sash.

So to sum up, I think there are plenty of ways to put in uniform customization for STO. Weather it's being able to change your actual uniform, or just being able to add small things like emblems, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the update! I also picked up on the fact that he is concentrating on CO primarily. (I hope that STO isn't affected too much by Cryptic working on 2 titles at the same time)
However, he did mention that player crews may be something they consider in the future.