Lt. Commander
# 31
01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatormonk View Post
Installed game. Launched twice and crashed twice now system even at POST has red dotted columns on the screen.
880GTX on Win7. I almost speechless that I just lost a video card from running a game.
Quote:
Never got past the intro video each time it crashed. Had to power off the PC to get out of the crash/lockup both times. Third bootup is when the video card displayed the red dotted columns. Basically the game ran no more than 3-5 minutes each time.
So far nothing I do is getting rid of the lines. I had turned the system off for 15 min in case it was a heat issue but the lines are still there even in POST.
This doesn't sound like a heat issue, especially since you didn't get past intro video, to me it could be (in order of likelyhood):

Graphics Driver

Video Card Memory

LCD especially connections

Your power supply, although unlikely this could be an indication that its about to die. In fact what might have happened is that you had 2 crashes caused by video drivers and on the restart your video card got damaged by a power surge on the third time.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Installed game. Launched twice and crashed twice now system even at POST has red dotted columns on the screen.
880GTX on Win7. I almost speechless that I just lost a video card from running a game.
You didn't lose it over a game. Chances are the card was dying to begin with and the game just pushed it over the edge. I've had 3 8800GTXs die over the past few years because the people who made them didn't properly cool them

They died like this:

one day I turned on the computer and got a blank screen... no errors.. no beeps.. y ou could see the HD light going and then the sound of windows starting up

another card, I was in a game.... saw some odd corruption on the screen.. exited.. shut down windows... and the computer.. when I turned it on.. I just got funky lines and colors... similar to you

my last 8800 died during crysis... after that I skipped the 9000 line and went right to the 2xx line
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
FYI I'm trying to help you people with overheating issue, and I appologize if on some posts I have been rude or snappy. It's just that I've been in the computer hw industry and sw industry for over 20 yrs, and when I hear someoen say "a game killed my card," I want to slap them for saying (in my mind) is one of the more ignorant statements I can think of... but after thinking.. not everyone knows certain things about computers.

HELL people think shows like The Net can really happen.. or what your see on the computer screen on CSI are real (when it just really a bunch of junk and 99% of it is fake).

so that being in mind, I appologize if I have been rude or called any of you names.

My goal here is to help, and I don't want to insult.

I've made a copy of this post in 3 forums as well as my prev post with a link for nvidias sofware for fan control. I'm sure some ATI user on here can post a link for ati people

But follow these steps and I 100% guarentee your card(s) will cool down, and if not there is something wrong with your card or case

1) Have fan control software installed
2) Make sure the system is cleaned out, esp the gpu. If you dont have a can of compressed air, you can do this. Take our your video card. Point the end with where the DVI cable goes in towards your face.. see the airflowslots.. take a deep breath.. put it up to your mouth and give it a big PUFF! A bunch of dust should SPEW out the fan and other areas of the card... oh.... and be careful not to spit into your card! LOL Do this a few times. Also if you notice any hair or lint in the fan or card.. gently pull it out. You can also puff on the fan.. sides of the card, etc... to get dust out of every section. NOTE: this is OLD SCHOOL.. but JUST to be safe... GROUND yourself before handling your card.. meaning.. touch your case a metal part so you have no static energy in you.

If you have compressed air use it, but BE CAREFUL. Using air wrong can cause the liquid inside to come out and damage your card

3) If you are savvy enough, set the controls to 10% fan speed if the card is under 40c, 50% if the card is at 50C and 100% if the card is at 80c. Now these aren't really fixed. The software has a graft. Meaning... below 40 it would stay at 10%... as it approached 50c.. it would go from 10-50%. Provably 4-5% per degree. I say 100% at 80c because anytyhing over 80 is HOT. Now if at 100% speed your GPU is STILL over 80c in game AND you have cleaned it, make sure u have good airflow and your case fan speeds are higher. You can do this in this software too.. IF you have an nvidia mobo.... you can tell it if the GPU is at XXX temp set the case fans to XXXX %. LASTLY, take of the side of your computer and put a fan next to it and blow air into it.. if that fixes it, then you KNOW your computer has a case airflow design fault. Dell XPS 710s have this issue and the MCP chip can get over 100C and burn up if the sys fans aren't at at least 50%

If the card is STILL overheating.. it is faulty.

4) You can also turn the game options down to reduce the load. Using the FPS limit on the game really doesn't take the load of your GPU if it still has to draaw shadows and other HDR and high end effects. Those all need to go.

5) Lastly - unless a machine is H2O cooled, computers have MAJOR issues with air cooling in rooms over 80F. I doubt this is an issue as it's winter where most people are playing LOL. But your computer should always be in a room under 75F if possible. Remember air cools 23X SLOWER than water can.

In closing, about all Cryptic could do is tell people "This is a VERY GPU intensive game. Please make sure you have a properly cleaned system with proper cooling software installed and you are not overclocking the game before running STO"

Now IMO they shouldn't need to do that, but on second thought, there's many people out there who don't know much about computers and really think things that can't happen, and will believe the most absurd things because they don't know otherwise.

I hope people find this post helpful.

PS here is the link for Nvidia fan control and system fan control software: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_...ools_6.05.html
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Wow..for all you "technical gurus" out there who say an application can't fry hardware. Explain how I have been using this PC and video card to run every other game out there for the past two years with no problem and I installed this game and the card went nuts?

Explain why so many other people are seeing the same thing happen after installing and running this game.

For the idiot who said an 8800GTX was a "cheap" card, two years ago it was top of the line and still out performs most of the newer high end POS cards out there. This card runs any game out on the market with no problems until STO.
lawllllllllllllllllllllllllllllawwlallaalalw wlawl your so silly billy "two years ago it was top of the line" lmffoaofafaofao two years in the computer world is like 50yrs in human years .You my good sir fail

The only apps that can kill your video card that i am aware of are the ones that allow you to overclock your video card , and if you overclock it without proper cooling you'll cause it to overheat so now we are back to point 1 where the cause is excessive heat.

Other things could have gone wrong with it as well like a surge in power , a short in your motherboard caused by excessive dust in your case, a damn bug could have walked across your board and caused a short trust me iv seen it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyway, I'm done posting in these threads.

I've said in many posts what people can do to solve their over heat issues and if those steps are followed and do not work, you have a flawed gpu, flawed cooling software, improper cooling somplace.

Yes your rig might work for every other game out there, but not for STO, and again that is NOT sto's fault.

I'll state one last time how to solve overheat in a nutshell

1) Clean out your gpu and all the system fans and heat syncs
2) make sure your fans incr in speed as the temps incr. If your card is at 80-90c it's fan had better be at 100%, if it's not - something is wrong
3) TURN DOWN THE FRICKIN GAME OPTIONS! (I've listed many times which ones are the worst gpu load offenders)
4) Limiting the game's fps to 30 CAN help in SOME situations, but it's not going to take that much of load off

If you have done ALL of the above then something is wrong with your system and it is not capable of playing this game, and you either need to fix it, or not play, end of story. They WILL NOT make the game look "less pretty" because 0.005% of the people usiung the game have heat issues.

Like I said this is my last post. I've tried to help everyone. If you can't understand, or won't listen, then it's your problem. Enjoy not playing the game in that case, because cryptic isn't going to change anything. This is YOUR responsibility to solve.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Would this in anyway cause the game to crash?
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitup View Post
Would this in anyway cause the game to crash?
Would WHAT cause the game to crash?

For one, overheating technically isn't causing the game to crash; it's causing instability in the video hardware which leads to the GPU shutdown to protect it's internal components.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-25-2010, 12:54 AM
To be honest, the thread was tl;dr.

HEAT can fry a graphics card. (Stuck / slowed GPU cooling fan, old / incorrectly applied thermal paste, or poor contact with the HSF (heatsink / fan)

ELECTRICITY can fry a graphics card. (And probably did, based on your description of the problem)

Software that modifies the voltage and frequency can fry a graphics card. (EVGA Precision, etc)

Star Trek Online does not control any of these things. Star Trek may have run your graphics card at 100%, bringing to the surface an existing problem, but this does not mean STO burned your graphics card. Your graphics card burned itself, STO just brought the problem to the surface.

STO has as much capability of frying your graphics card as I do... sitting at my computer... typing on a forum... in Kansas... using pure will power.

I'd list my qualifications, but it's useless. Everyone on the internet is a pro and has been doing this (and everything else) all their lives.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZH_KALA
lawllllllllllllllllllllllllllllawwlallaalalw wlawl your so silly billy "two years ago it was top of the line" lmffoaofafaofao two years in the computer world is like 50yrs in human years .You my good sir fail

The only apps that can kill your video card that i am aware of are the ones that allow you to overclock your video card , and if you overclock it without proper cooling you'll cause it to overheat so now we are back to point 1 where the cause is excessive heat.

Other things could have gone wrong with it as well like a surge in power , a short in your motherboard caused by excessive dust in your case, a damn bug could have walked across your board and caused a short trust me iv seen it happen.
So basically, what youre saying, is that people have to keep their video cards "up to date", by buying a brand new(and rather expensive) card every couple of years, so that they can play the latest games? If Im misinterpreting, please explain. First, thats a TON of money to be putting out, and second, games are designed to work with cards that are a year or two old, because the companies realize that not everyone can/wants to spend several hundred dollars every couple years for one component. I hear a great deal of people saying its most likely heat, but that isnt my problem, as my card runs at about 50C, and I cant remember it ever hitting 60C. The most recent games I own are Force Unleashed, and STO(Ive only bought 3 games(out of the many games I own) in their release year, and Im having trouble with some recent ones.

I bought a 8600GTS a little less than a year ago, so I dont think its defective, but its possible. The thing about that is, Ive had it happen with EVERY card Ive bought(usually BFG for Nvidia, and ATI for ATI cards) since 2000. Most of the time, it was a driver problem, but recently, none of the new drivers have fixed it, and, Ive also done rollbacks to 163.75, and none of those are helping with another game I play thats older that STO, obviously, so I kinda doubt that would help here. I MAY buy a new card around Christmas, but Im actually expecting the same thing to happen.