Lt. Commander
# 1 Sick and tired of...
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I am so sick and tired of the sniveling, crying, complaining, flaming generally continually unhappy people, that find it necessary to find fault in everything Cryptic, or for that matter ANY game developers, does when it comes to creating a game. Whether it's an MMO or any other of today's graphic/system intensive games you can go to any forum anywhere and find the same complainers saying almost exactly the same things.

I'm not a Cryptic rah rah guy, never heard of them until I heard about Star Trek Online, but to me it seems that they've done a pretty good job of creating an MMO in a genre that is notoriously difficult to be successful at. How many space based MMO's are out there? Not many by my count, not any really good ones except for maybe 2 or 3.

Is STO perfect right now? No, will it be perfect at some point in time? Probably not. But will it get better over time? I'm pretty sure that it will.

To create any kind of program or game takes hundreds of thousands of lines of code, maybe millions. There is not a single program that I know of, whether it's an operating system, or Windows based program or even Linux, that doesn't have bugs and it's own share of problems. It's almost impossible to create the perfect program, unless you're doing the Hello World in Python.

I'm just so sick and tired of reading the nonsense that gets posted. It's actually shocking sometimes how someone will grasp at the most minor thing and proclaim that the "Game sucks because I don't have my TOS uniform", "WHERE'S MY TOS UNIFORM", You morons. I'm not even going to answer that one. Those of you who know what I'm talking about know what the answer is.

I'm looking forward to playing with a lot of you guys and girls, there are a lot of very cool people around here, if only we could find a way to get rid of the dead weight.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Wrong forum section bud.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockntrek
I am so sick and tired of the sniveling, crying, complaining, flaming generally continually unhappy people, that find it necessary to find fault in everything Cryptic, or for that matter ANY game developers, does when it comes to creating a game. Whether it's an MMO or any other of today's graphic/system intensive games you can go to any forum anywhere and find the same complainers saying almost exactly the same things.

I'm not a Cryptic rah rah guy, never heard of them until I heard about Star Trek Online, but to me it seems that they've done a pretty good job of creating an MMO in a genre that is notoriously difficult to be successful at. How many space based MMO's are out there? Not many by my count, not any really good ones except for maybe 2 or 3.

Is STO perfect right now? No, will it be perfect at some point in time? Probably not. But will it get better over time? I'm pretty sure that it will.

To create any kind of program or game takes hundreds of thousands of lines of code, maybe millions. There is not a single program that I know of, whether it's an operating system, or Windows based program or even Linux, that doesn't have bugs and it's own share of problems. It's almost impossible to create the perfect program, unless you're doing the Hello World in Python.

I'm just so sick and tired of reading the nonsense that gets posted. It's actually shocking sometimes how someone will grasp at the most minor thing and proclaim that the "Game sucks because I don't have my TOS uniform", "WHERE'S MY TOS UNIFORM", You morons. I'm not even going to answer that one. Those of you who know what I'm talking about know what the answer is.

I'm looking forward to playing with a lot of you guys and girls, there are a lot of very cool people around here, if only we could find a way to get rid of the dead weight.
Lots of frustration I feel in your voice. Calm down, you must. Although I agree with you, there's very little we can do about it. Lets wait for the release, which is very close, and lets flush them all away.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockntrek

Posting more of these threads won't help the situation any. So far from what I have seen first hand and read in the last few days most of the complaints are legit. Everyone wanted the game to be better and most feel they gave the license to the wrong people. Crying about other people *****ing is not going to help any. At least the people *****ing are pointing out whats wrong and what needs to be fixed or addressed. This company has zero to little reputation and it seems to be dropping even faster after some announcements were made over at Champions Online.

Also two years development time on an MMO is absurd. These games typically take 4-5 years to make especially when developing in house engine technology and tools etc. So while I don't know the backstory on the engine details most hard core gamers demand that a new game be at least as good as the previous if not better. The general rule is meet and exceed. What I have seen here is a rushed game that is built using an engine that is not even optmized. Everything is in shell form. Not what one expects even for an MMO. Yes MMO's evolve over time and are never finished but that is cliche as much as anything else that is used as an excuse to defend a developer that does meet or exceed expectations. Cryptic has failed to produce a game that meets the level of expectation the industry has come to expect from an MMO. This is why you are seeing so much negative feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothandros
So while I don't know the backstory on the engine details most hard core gamers demand that a new game be at least as good as the previous if not better. The general rule is meet and exceed. What I have seen here is a rushed game that is built using an engine that is not even optmized. Everything is in shell form. Not what one expects even for an MMO. Yes MMO's evolve over time and are never finished but that is cliche as much as anything else that is used as an excuse to defend a developer that does meet or exceed expectations. Cryptic has failed to produce a game that meets the level of expectation the industry has come to expect from an MMO. This is why you are seeing so much negative feedback.

I'll never understand you people. Why are you still here ? Go AWAY, so that those who wanna pay for THIS, will have peace of mind, and less cluttered forums. Go and write your own game.
It's not that you've been forced to be here, or forced to buy it. If it was the case, then you could complain. Now go.
Sheeshh..
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdere View Post
Wrong forum section bud.
He should post it in the Off-Topic foru- oh wait, that's right :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
while not all complaining is good, and sometimes its just hate.

but as users it our job to find faults in the game and make them known, voice our concerns so our buddies the developers know what to patch.

Ive been playing WoW for a while, one of the things I like best is that the developers listen to their community.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSystem View Post

Ive been playing WoW for a while, one of the things I like best is that the developers listen to their community.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

... sorry i had to do that. They very rarely ever listen to the community. Theyve only started adding what people wanted recently, because they can charge for it (race/faction transfers) and because their population is dwidling (aroudn 4-5 million subs lost in asia alone)
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngaio View Post
Lots of frustration I feel in your voice. Calm down, you must. Although I agree with you, there's very little we can do about it. Lets wait for the release, which is very close, and lets flush them all away.
I'm cool, I was just reading some stuff at the time and felt the need to vent a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSystem View Post
while not all complaining is good, and sometimes its just hate.

but as users it our job to find faults in the game and make them known, voice our concerns so our buddies the developers know what to patch.
I completely agree that good constructive feedback is important so the dev's know what's going on and hopefully fix it. I'm not referring to that at all, I was referring to those who just need to hate and rip into every little thing that they feel is wrong and say it sucks because it didn't live up to THEIR vision of what the game should be. Like Cryptic and the developers don't have a right to create what they envisioned.

It's okay though I'm cool and over it, it was just one of those moments.