Lt. Commander
# 11
01-29-2010, 03:12 PM
im all for a slightly harsher DP for pve maybe a slower regen of crew, in pvp deathmatch style games they should just leave it out (like most games). For open pvp either way could work depending on how it is set up
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes, let's make PvP more tedious.

Great idea.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-29-2010, 03:25 PM
If crew regen didn't happen in combat, and having low crew was a general debuff - that would be enough I think.

I definitely don't want to spend medals on crew, considering.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Here is Romulan78's post on wanting a death penalty back on 1-13-10:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=60695

After 60+ pages a "meaningful" death penalty was never defined clearly, but many false claims were made, including mis-quoting anti-dp people to support pro-dp claims. Good fun all around.

Anything that could be said here was probably already said in the other thread over the last 2 weeks.

With the way PvP works now a death penalty would just add an arbitrary punishment.. Especially considering how fast you can die when 5 enemy players focus fire on you.

There was no misquoting. I quoted some people with ideas in the first post of the thread... thanks for linking it.

As far as DP in the long run it will definately be needed if this game is supposed to have a future and an end game. Open PVP will eventually be in place and without a death penalty it will just be a grind.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan78 View Post
There was no misquoting. I quoted some people with ideas in the first post of the thread... thanks for linking it.

As far as DP in the long run it will definately be needed if this game is supposed to have a future and an end game. Open PVP will eventually be in place and without a death penalty it will just be a grind.
I am happy to link it. It pretty much covers all the pro and anti-dp statements so that we do not need another 60+ page thread full of false claims like before.

On a side note.. You were even asked to stop mis-quoting... But you didn't.

Quote:
Romulan78, are you sure Sol_Seeker and Goodwind support adding a death penalty in this game? You seem to think so since you are using a quotes of thiers to support your point on your (modified) front page.

You may want to ask them if it is ok, or, maybe you already have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
I am shocked, shocked I say, that he would take something out of context and try to make it mean something it don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
Why don't you stop trying to fake quotes to make it sound like they support an idea when they don't?
By the way, let me know when we get to the part about having a "choice" for DP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan78
... Back on subject, the answer is a "choice" those that are not interested in meaningful pvp can choose this system and those that are should be able to choose to have DP.

Most MMO's have a choice and that is all I am asking for STO to do.
Quote:
Please name 3 mainstream MMOs which offer a choice to the player for Death Penalty in PvP?

You said MOST MMOs have this. Now back up your claim or admit you were making it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan78
Alot of these games already have meaningful pvp with both reward and punishment after death so they dont need to offer a choice its already implemented and you choose to fight or not.

EVE is one, UO is one, POTBS is one

Then you have games such as WOW in which you can enjoy a pvp server and when you die you dont respawn back into a battle but instead have to walk back and/or face gear that ruins and lose stats for a small amount of time.
***Underline in the above quote is mine***

Yep, I agree, an excellent thread to link to.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-29-2010, 06:46 PM
A death penalty will destroy the Klingon population. Until both sides are balanced in the availability of leveling content, the ability to amass merits and medals, and collect gear there is no way DP makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Then you have games such as WOW in which you can enjoy a pvp server and when you die you dont respawn back into a battle but instead have to walk back and/or face gear that ruins and lose stats for a small amount of time.
This is incorrect actually. If you die in PvP there is zero dp in WoW. What he said is pure fabrication.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedisp View Post
This is incorrect actually. If you die in PvP there is zero dp in WoW. What he said is pure fabrication.
Eh? As I recall, in battlegrounds there's no death penalty but in open world PvP (on open PvP servers) it's the usual ghost-run to rez at your corpse or take a stat hit and rez at the graveyard.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Eh? As I recall, in battlegrounds there's no death penalty but in open world PvP (on open PvP servers) it's the usual ghost-run to rez at your corpse or take a stat hit and rez at the graveyard.
Nope. unless it was recently changed there was no equipment loss on death. If you managed to beat him near death then get him killed by a PvE mob there was. However it was not a stat loss but your equipment losing durability.

There is zero need for DPs in OPvP or Instanced PvP. It has nothing to do with culling a zerg as neither Planetside or WAR had a PvP DP. All culling zergs take is more than thirty seconds of critical thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
which is a pretty big death penalty compared to what we have, and wow is supposed to be the carebear game, whats that say about STO!?