Lt. Commander
# 1 Please help me
01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
So yes, I got the steam version too. I have an extremely poor internet connection and it will take me about 10 hours to download the game, plus a few to patch. So when it's done, I don't want this to happen again. Can anyone tell me how to launch the game without going through Steam. And how do I copy the files so I dont have to redownload if it does happen.

EDIT: I just realized that it says updating and not downloading, so I guess this is that 10 gb patch. But still, I need to know how to copy files just in case.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I could be wrong here but if you don't want to run it through steam then you'll need to go buy a copy from somewhere else. Running anything that was downloaded with steam will also run the steam client itself.
But it'll only download updates for the game as and when they are released so you won't be doing a 10gig download ever week.

What you're going through now is nothing the rest of us already in game haven't done already and we'll all have to download game updates when Crytpic releases them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, it worked at first, but I disconnected and when I tried to start up again, It had to redownload. But I heard you could go into the directory and launch it with a cryptic launcher instead of a Steam one, or something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Go into the directory under your steam folder and launch the game client executable directly from there.

Do not start Steam.
Do not use the shortcut Steam created on your desktop (as this will also start Steam)

There are other things you can do to make a whole new installation but if you don't know what yo'ure doing you can do more damage than good.

Just keep a backup copy in the meantime.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
See this thread. If you don't feel comfortable messing with the registry, Cryptic have a torrent and their own downloader.

Or do what Arsilon said.