Lt. Commander
# 51
01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
This whole thing, this whole day has been a big let down. I'm past blaming anyone, I just want to play the damn game at this point. The thought that I might DL the 10 bloody gigs again only to have it possibly fail again is really wrecking the release.

I just hope Cryptic and/or steam figure out an easy way to fix the issues...without DLing again!
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theanomaly View Post
Same for me.

Sadly, it happened before I could do anything... I managed to avert this 're-downloading' thing on CO, because I was smart and downloaded the beta client outside of Steam, but since my pre-order of STO was done on Steam, I really didn't have much choice, it seems.

Obviously, this is going to take a while... I'm at 33%.

Oh well. I guess this means I might have a chance to beat Mass Effect 2 before I fall into the STO grind.

dont get excited people...i re-downloaded and like many people now the game freezes on the patch updater....

still no responce from steam...i suppose steam has our money now and dont give a rats
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Its normal and ofhten that you must redownload the hole client from steam!

Example: King Arthur "A Modern Warfare Game"

I have bought KA today in media markt (germany) , then i install it from dvd, and... it runs through steam but the font dont appear. The support from steam tell me, delete the content (local) and then download the game new from steam.

So i ask me myself: Why must i download a ****ing game, when i have it physically on dvd at home......
Lt. Commander
# 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonz97 View Post
dont get excited people...i re-downloaded and like many people now the game freezes on the patch updater....

still no responce from steam...i suppose steam has our money now and dont give a rats
i don't think that is the case. They have never done anything like this on purpose, and I have never had this happen with any other steam pre-release game I have purchased.

It's probably a decimal place in the wrong spot. (Office Space)
Lt. Commander
# 55
Cryptic and Steam better both be giving.. some rat asses, so to speak.

I'm not surprised, though. Cryptic is the king of MMO oversights and Steam, which is usually incredibly efficient, just can't seem to handle MMO releases very well.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonz97 View Post

Yea I liked how they took your cash when you pre-ordered. Always didn't understand that one. Most other retailers wait until they have the goods to ship. Steam just takes your cash there and then. Oh and I found out that after I had made my first pre-order and they took my cash the game had been reduced in price by £10 but they hadn't refunded that £10. I sorted that out through support but this whole STO experience has put me off steam. Im only going to use it as a social tool from now on.

A shame really. I was new to this whole digital download business and ive managed to get 2-3 games out of it and im showed this ugly side of it. Won't be going back to digital downloads any time soon.

And I can bet you 100% that we will NOT get an apology of any sort. Not even Cryptic will apologise for screwing their launch up. Not sure why im hugely bothered by that but I guess it doesn't take much to accept you screwed up... Guess we will all see just how arrogant these companies are in the coming hours.
Lt. Commander
# 57 The fix!
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I was getting the 10gb Steam download also, but you can play through the beta client.

If you know how to edit a registry, go to your registry and change the Cryptic folder to have star trek online launch from whatever folder your beta install is. It will require you to download the small patch (50mb?) but that is fast and you can play while Steam re-downloads...........or you can just skip the Steam install all together.

Using the Steam product key for the game and having an active Cryptic account is all you really need, you can play the beta client or the Steam client.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!

Uh, one problem.

There is no "Star Trek Online" folder within steamapps/common for me, suddenly.

Maybe because it already restarted the download?
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Weird I downloaded the steam client a couple of days ago now with no worries, although it still seems happy to use the OB clent.