Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey,

I posted earlier today in the chatroom and in the startrek discussion forum and was absolutely obliterated by the borg. I resisted for a while and attempted to bump my own thread... but after about 2 minutes it was avalanched down to page 4. I've now decided to attempt a different approach!

So, I did get SOME information out of the chatroom and that is, if you want to buy lifetime you have to preorder as well. Meaning, the cost of the game PLUS lifetime subscription. I am really interested in this and this is the method I used to buy Lord of the Rings too. Anyways... my question is as follows:

People were telling me that it MIGHT cost me $300ish to preorder/lifetime purchase, but if I want extra bonuses it might cost me more.

I could not get details as to what bonuses they were talking about or how to buy those bonuses, or if I could somehow convert my account at a later time and still get those things.

Can someone give me the run-down on preordering since I pretty much only have a day left? Please be sure to speak about bonuses and the works.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Also, I live in Canada and want my preorder code quick so I can buy lifetime. Anyone know what's up?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 07:43 PM
http://startrekonline.com/retail

Each retailer has a special package of things depending on what product you buy.

Although I have not been able to look at the C-store, based on how things worked in Champions Online I suspect that it is likely that you will be able to get many of the same perks from the C-store for a modest investment.

For example, I am unable to afford the lifetime subscription right now and don't know if I will have the funds available before they are removed. On the other hand, I know that the liberated borg character (one of the lifetime subscription perks) is also available in the C-store so if I decide I absolutely have to have one then all I need to do is purchase from the C-store.

As to getting a preorder key, I suspect that you will have to go to a brick-and-mortar at this point if you want to get your key. I'm fairly certain that Amazon and other d2d retailers are not sending preorder/beta keys at this time. (That, too, is what happened in Champions Online.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonFalcon View Post
As to getting a preorder key, I suspect that you will have to go to a brick-and-mortar at this point if you want to get your key. I'm fairly certain that Amazon and other d2d retailers are not sending preorder/beta keys at this time. (That, too, is what happened in Champions Online.)
Steam and Direct2Drive are apparently still sending out pre-order keys if you purchase from them now. I can't confirm that personally, of course.

To the OP: the lifetime sub will still be available after the 2nd of January. It's just that the price will go up after the 2nd of January. Right now it's a promotional price, US$239, and the lifetime also comes with 2 character slots and the ability to create Borg player characters.

After the 2nd, the price goes up to US$299, with no perks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 07:56 PM
If you pre-order the digital download edition :-

http://atari.com/games/startrek_onli...xe_ed/download

(other suppliers are available) you get all the nice things listed as pre-order gifts. If you then order a lifetime sub (assuming you can get hold of the pre-order key) you get the borg freebie and the 2 slots.

The other bonuses available from other retailers - shuttle, crusier, rifle, tribble etc... would cost you extra either by purchasing those versions of the pre-order or by hoping they appear in the C-store at some time.

So yep its gonna cost you about $300 but you Canadians get your own pricing structure because your special so it may be less.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
So to re-iterate, amazon is NOT sending out beta keys currently even though they're advertising that they are?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuval View Post
So to re-iterate, amazon is NOT sending out beta keys currently even though they're advertising that they are?
Essentially. This appears to be the situation with Amazon US. Folks who order later don't seem to be getting codes. As a result, I'd say the safest option is probably to go with Direct2Drive or Steam, which should give you a preorder beta/headstart code immediately. Direct2Drive in particular is supposed to be very good with this.

You can then take that and buy the lifetime subscription immediately.

Now...if you preorder from another retailer and DON'T get a code in the mail, you can still contact STO customer support directly. Cryptic's been pretty good about getting folks set up if the retailers let them down. Just have proof-of-purchase on-hand; e-mail them your electronic receipt or something.