Lt. Commander
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

Watch from 6:34 - 7:04 only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QycIUFxRuU

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.

EDIT: As people seems to be COMPLETELY confused.... Here is what I mean with what STO should adopt.

ME2 does Galaxy --> area in the Galaxy w/ solar systems, etc. ----> solar system ---> planet ---> enter planet/starbase instance for mission.

How you move betwen each one can be adopted for STO, w/ 3rd person view of ship and being able to control ship just like it is now. Obviously, travel times would need to be a bit bigger and the galaxy probably a bit bigger as well.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Sector space is fine, it just needs to be accessable "on screen" whilst on your bridge or in another room via a projection like voyager & later enterprises, flying around in a graphical representation makes no sense
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.
No thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 03:13 AM
I guess you people must be content with flying around in a boring grid? seriously it's like flying around on a chess board.... I guess some people are just content with any kind of garbage that is thrown at them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post

I actually like this idea, VERY MUCH.

Though, I hated the fact that I had to sit through half the video, watching this guy twiddle his thumbs, before deciding 'oh hey I better actually fly somewhere'

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see the part of your post where you said to watch a specific part.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Wow.

I am blown away!

I have not heard of this Mass Effect game before, but that felt more Trek like than STO does! It so realistic too! I may have to get that when I grow bored with STO. No offense to Crptic, but those guys who did ME2 really did a good job! Imagine if they did STO? sigh

EDIT: It was Bioware! I shaould have known! Oh CBS, why didn't you guys get them to do STO????
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 03:19 AM
if you like that space map so much. go play mass effect 2 and leave the rest of us alone. we are perfectly content with sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post

EDIT: It was Bioware! I shaould have known! Oh CBS, why didn't you guys get them to do STO????
Seriously

If you think ME was good, you should try Dragon Age: Origins, also from bioware. A-mazing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 03:34 AM
I really feel more people need to be made aware of this.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windhunter View Post
if you like that space map so much. go play mass effect 2 and leave the rest of us alone. we are perfectly content with sector space.
I'm not content with it. I don't agree that the Mass Effect 2 one works for STO either. If the Planetary systems were floating against a starscape background, then sector space would make sense. But the grid, blue pathways, and lollipops are stupid. That stuff should be in an astrometrics view or something. Put it on the map for telling your helmsman where to set course.

Sector space should be nothing more than a ship, out in the vastness of space, flying at warp or sitting between star systems. The controls for navigating it should be available from the bridge, or if you prefer, from the sector space view. But switching between them should be a seamless click the button and switch.

The one for ME2 is cool, but it isn't Trek. There's no sense of travel time. Travel time is very much a part of the ST experience, and should be done the right way.