Lt. Commander
# 1 Ghost-like BOs.
01-30-2010, 03:11 AM
You know, I saw some threads complaining in Open Beta and i probably shoulda piped up back then.

I really do not like or care for this new "pass-through" mechanic of making BO's intangible. i personally had no problems with BO's being solid in both Closed and Open Beta (and, I might add, I didn't read any complaints about in in CB, but I am not omniscent and may've missed a post).

I am all for game play being primary over immersion-breaking, but this is rather silly. Being able to walk-through BO's is silly. It makes them feel less human and more like EMH's. It reminds me they are not real, so in a sense, it is immersion-breaking. If you had small corridors, then I could agree to this mechanic, but you don't; you have large ones partly JUST for this solid-BO mechanic.

Now, I can make silly screenshots of my character "inside" my BO's or have them all bunched up when we beam down (they are not spread out as before).

This whole intangibility thing is nonsense. Put them back the way they were before. Make them "real" tangible items we can care for. The way they are now, adds a dimension of "I could care less for them" now.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 03:32 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Uh... Scuzbutt... some of us play for the RP aspect as much as anything else, especially in a universe as rich as the ST one. For decent RP, you want immersion, for immersion it helps if you can't walk through people...

If we wanted RL, we'd turn the PC off and go outside.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 03:40 AM
I can understand you... but as captain I'm polite enough to not barge into people anyway - so I never have to "phase through" them.

I'm actually really likeing the BOff team mechanic and already my science officer (her first bridge officer form the Khitomer) has taken to arguing with his liberated Borg captain about her "non regulation make-up and overall ghastly appearance". Unfortuantely for the aging scientist, she likes the way she looks...

Point being, it has not stopped me developing an attachment for the characters...

Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 03:46 AM
I suspect disabling the collision detection for BOffs was done to improve their pathing and keep them from getting trapped as easily.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzbutt View Post
LOL! you're complaining because your BO's aren't real? HAHAHA! dude this is a game! THE BO"S AREN'T REAL, NONE OF THIS IS REAL!

Stop whining about useless garbage like "I feel like my bo's are less human because I can walk through them"

Get a life and and interact with REAL people from time to time and maybe you'll see that this isn't real life nor are the characters real.
I simply decided to take the more appropriate response, and reported this post under the 'rude/harassment' catagory.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arronicus
I simply decided to take the more appropriate response, and reported this post under the 'rude/harassment' catagory.
WOOT! lol I been reported for actually having a REAL life

If you want things in a GAME to be more real, then try LARPing, oh wait, you'd probably complain that you can't "actually" beam anywhere and that your cardboard conny class cutouts don' "actually" get you into space. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeborn View Post
I suspect disabling the collision detection for BOffs was done to improve their pathing and keep them from getting trapped as easily.
That might be one possible thing. As Beta went along, BO's kept up pretty well with you, even in some "impossible" situations, but it was not perfect AI pathing.

I haven't tried them out with walls or objects on-screen yet. Just saw them inside me...making a 4-armed, four-legged creature. :p (Still haven't gotten my full compliment of BOs, but I just started on the Headstart).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 04:32 AM
At this stage where the game still has a lot of issues I prefer the EMH over solid BO. Hell I wished all NPC were EMH except quest and vendor NPC. I can't count how many times I was stuck in a crowed of people that I couldn't get out of .. why? I tell you why, the collision box of player and NPC is double or tripple the actual size. There has been time i couldn't even get past 2 NPC in between even though there was room, let alone Players.

Until they fix the collision size, i am down for non-solid NPC/BO (except vendor/quest NPC).
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzbutt View Post
LOL! you're complaining because your BO's aren't real? HAHAHA! dude this is a game! THE BO"S AREN'T REAL, NONE OF THIS IS REAL!

Stop whining about useless garbage like "I feel like my bo's are less human because I can walk through them"

Get a life and and interact with REAL people from time to time and maybe you'll see that this isn't real life nor are the characters real.
Why do people like you even post on the forums? That's it; I just have no idea what you actually add here.

WoW forums are this way --> I'm 12 years old and like to be a douche.