Lt. Commander
I am literally crashing every 5 mins or so during ground combat. This happens most when theres a lot of weapons fire and the corresponding particle effects. I've turned down the graphics quite a bit but its still happening. Currently, I'm running an i7-920, 6 gigs ram and a Radeon 5870. Any suggestions to help fix this would be appreciated as the game is almost unplayable for me in its current state. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah I'm encountering the same problem except I'm running an Nvidia GTX285. Scuttlebutt on the boards is that there's a problem with the newer Nvidia drivers and a solution is to revert back to a driver version six months old... which I'm not going to do for one game. Now since it's happening with an ATI card for you I really don't know what's going on. Hopefully it's resolved either by Cryptic or by Nvidia/ATI drivers. As it stands now the game is unplayable for me so I'll be taking a wait and see approach.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaz1
I am literally crashing every 5 mins or so during ground combat. This happens most when theres a lot of weapons fire and the corresponding particle effects. I've turned down the graphics quite a bit but its still happening. Currently, I'm running an i7-920, 6 gigs ram and a Radeon 5870. Any suggestions to help fix this would be appreciated as the game is almost unplayable for me in its current state. Thank you.
I'd like to second this basic setup (Q6600, 5870 and 8GB ram) and crash scenario. Pretty much have to work my way through any ground mission in a piecewise manner. Frustrating, if anything.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
This is happening to me. I can load the game, fight through one battle and then crash in the middle of my second combat. Crashes come in three forms, most often it is a "GameClient.exe stopped working" windows popup or a full grey screen with a CrypticError window popup that then tries to upload a 610MB error dump (that is fun when about 3-4 of those get overlapped). Very rarely the game will crash my graphics driver instead of the more common crashes. Some ground maps are better than others but it is obvious the whole time that the ground combat part is a house of cards. Keypresses are often not registered, lots of graphical stuttering is present whenever an attack is fired, and animations often don't play correctly.

Core i7-870 / P55 Chipset
ATI Radeon 5850 with Catalyst 9.12 drivers
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I guess I can add my name to the list of people this affects.

Ground combat can be pretty choppy at times. Eventually the game just crashes; CrypticError.exe rarely kicks in to submit a crash report. When I say choppy, I mean FPS can be as bad as 1-5 FPS. For comparison, Crysis settings are maxed out and it runs wonderfully.

I've checked CPU, GPU, and MB temps; they are all fine. Logs don't say anything interesting.

FWIW, here's what I'm running: Windows 7 64-bit, ATI HD 5870, Intel i7 920, 6GB OCZ Dominator, Intel X-25M, ASRock X58 Extreme.

For now I've decided to cancel my Amazon pre-order.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 12:30 AM
This has been occurring to me too, game client crashes exclusively during ground combat.

This was actually a very common problem during the beginning of open beta and at the time almost exclusively happening to people using ATI cards. The problem seemed to be resolved when Cryptic put out that large update patch during beta and most people no longer had the problem all the way until the close of beta.

This was the case for me as I spent the latter part of beta with no ground combat problems at all anymore.

However, it seems that with headstart that problem has come back and is also affecting Nvidia users now too.

I was getting the crashes using the older 9.12 ATI drivers from mid-december that worked fine during the last parts of beta but was getting the crashes so I upgraded to the latest 10.1 ATI drivers and the problem is still there, not better, no worse, just still there.

I've monitored my temps when it happens and they are within acceptable ranges so it's not an overheating issue.

I have a Radeon 4890 running with a Q6600 and 4GB of RAM in Win7 x64 with all setting to max and AA 8x.
Things look good and run smooth right up until they don't during ground fighting.

I will try turning down settings, but sort of defeats the purpose of having a nice setup.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 12:37 AM
try turning your "max lights down per object" down to the bottom this solves the problem for me on some maps and reduces ow often it happens on others. also lowering "visual fx quality" seems to help some times to.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 12:54 AM
With a bit more searching, I stumbled upon this thread which suggested disabling dynamic lighting and post processing. Before CTD would happen in a few minutes on Starbase 24; after disabling both options I was able to finish the mission. It's not conclusive, but it appears to be working for me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:34 AM
in beta i didnt had this problem but not live i do have this problem.

every time i do ground combat missions the game will crash @ some time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 05:16 AM
This happened to me a lot during open beta. I figured it was a temperature problem since it stopped when I opened the windows - it's REALLY could outside here - the ambient temperature in the room probably dropped 30 or 40 degrees with the heat off and the winter air blowing in - but I'm trying that now, and the same thing's happening again.

Keep in mind, though, I have a fairly (read: VERY) outdated nVidia card - 6 series. Yeah. Yeah. I know. I can't really do much in the way of upgrades since it's mobo only has an AGP slot. I pretty much need a whole new computer.

That seems irrelevant, however, in light of the fact that it's happening to people whose cards completely put mine to shame - not that it doesn't do a good job of shaming itself on it's own.

I'd just like to know why it only happens on ground missions and not anywhere else.

And what's the version number of the older drivers that work?