Lt. Commander
# 111
01-30-2010, 03:08 AM
As stated in my post here - http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89091

ITS NOT STEAMS FAULT! Cryptic is just pointing the finger because of their mistake of how the game finds Updates.
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-30-2010, 03:12 AM
lol this thread was just suppose to be a funny "how far has your download come" thread. btw dl took 2 hours at 700 kb/s, i went in and set no updates after that when patched using sto client direct, was all np and only 2 hours gone from game play
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-30-2010, 04:22 AM
111% second time through. Steam on Windows restart GG -_-
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-30-2010, 04:34 AM
a) downloaded the 10gig or whatever Steam "update" which just crashed the STO patcher
b) downloaded *Closed* beta client from 3fl.net.au unzipped and installed this into a different directory
c) copied the 10gig Steam folder somewhere else
d) changed the registry entry to the new "Steam" directory
e) coped the patcher/launcher from the Closed beta
f) now have a 4gig patch

yahoo'
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferies_Pubes
So, Cryptic, between your failure to adequately deliver all those little marketing trinkets promises that had me eager to pre-order and pay in full, and this... this consortium with Steam (whom I had already paid for the game in full through weeks ago) deleting my client and forcing me to download it again eating another 10gb out of my monthly download limit (yes, I live in a country where download limits still exist) - so between all of this, why exactly is it that you think you deserve my money, the same money that you were so avidly honey-tongued and white-lying to get at with these "bonuses" that have become more and more ambiguous right up until release? Moreso than that, why shouldn't I take this crap to my country's fair trading ombudsman? You've all the needed details to contact me regarding this, Cryptic. I mean, you've already used them to try and squirrel more cash out of me with promises you've thus far been unable to keep with countless others who did pay.
Cryptic is protected under the EULA you agreed to. This thread is an issue with steampowered.com, which is protected by a similar EULA. At most, cryptic/steampowered could probably refund your costs, but cryptic isn't responsible for the steampowered DL issues. Steampowered is a digital download retailer and community server service.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaww
Cryptic is protected under the EULA you agreed to. This thread is an issue with steampowered.com, which is protected by a similar EULA. At most, cryptic/steampowered could probably refund your costs, but cryptic isn't responsible for the steampowered DL issues. Steampowered is a digital download retailer and community server service.
Mööp wrong, as Cryptic/Atari uses Valve/Steam only for initial DL, all patches are directly via STO Launcher (99% of other games use Steam for patching, too, but not STO ). So for all mess up thats caused by STO Launcher during patching/loading, leading to an "Invalid installation" bit that's sent from STO Launcher to Steam.exe and forcing Steam to do reinitial DL/installation, Cryptic is the offender, Steam just the bogeyman.

Furthermore the EULA of Cryptic is not valid, as it contains the salvatorian clause at the very end. This is e.g. forbidden in the EU since 2 years, making the entire EULA invalid That i agreed to that doesn't matter.
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-30-2010, 05:45 AM
in this case, it is steampowered.com. when they tried to update their DL future buyers, it was incompatable with existing folders. It happened before when Steam was involved with other BETAs and early starts. steampowered shouldn't have tried updating their version and forcing their update onto players who already bought it.
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-30-2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePegasus1979 View Post
Mööp wrong, as Cryptic/Atari uses Valve/Steam only for initial DL, all patches are directly via STO Launcher (99% of other games use Steam for patching, too, but not STO ). So for all mess up thats caused by STO Launcher during patching/loading, leading to an "Invalid installation" bit that's sent from STO Launcher to Steam.exe and forcing Steam to do reinitial DL/installation, Cryptic is the offender, Steam just the bogeyman.

Furthermore the EULA of Cryptic is not valid, as it contains the salvatorian clause at the very end. This is e.g. forbidden in the EU since 2 years, making the entire EULA invalid That i agreed to that doesn't matter.
this is more or less right.

if cryptic sends a new client to steam then it's not steam's fault they didn't send patches instead.

after downloading the new client from steam, i only had to download a 59mb patch through the STO launcher.

so obviously cryptic sent steam a new copy of the client for some reason, instead of a patch (which wouldn't be needed anyway).

your steam clients saw that there was a new version of the game available, and as per your standing instructions (the default) to update this game automatically, it deleted the "old" client and downloaded the "new" client.

as for errors and such after the download of the "new" client, haven't had any issue with that myself. played just fine after steam downloaded the "new" client and i patched through the launcher.

so don'[t blame steam for being an automated service that in my experience has never done this before with any game, but rather blame cryptic for sending a new client out and not warning people to turn their auto update off for STO in the steam client because they neither know nor care how steam works.
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaww
in this case, it is steampowered.com. when they tried to update their DL future buyers, it was incompatable with existing folders. It happened before when Steam was involved with other BETAs and early starts. steampowered shouldn't have tried updating their version and forcing their update onto players who already bought it.
if you knew about this and didn't turn off "keep this game up to date automatically" option in steam, then you yourself suffered from your own ignorance. and if you knew about this and didn't warn others not to turn off that option, then you are negligent.
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-30-2010, 05:56 AM
ok so it finally got done, now i keeps crashing when it trys to launch again, i tried every thing i could think of but it still crashes! and a restart just made the crashes come faster!