Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Well, i want to play as a tac officer, but i kinda want to use a cruiser. The escorts seem kinda puny for me. I like the big ships!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nman729 View Post
Well, i want to play as a tac officer, but i kinda want to use a cruiser. The escorts seem kinda puny for me. I like the big ships!
You'll be fine, there is no reason a Tac Officer couldn't captain a cruiser. Tac does not equal escort, it equals skills on a tactical tree that apply to any ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-30-2010, 06:43 AM
There is no problem what so ever. If you check the skill tree, there are skills for each class, so just increase the skills in cruiser, and you'll be fine. I ran Tac in cruiser in beta, no problems at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:56 AM
the only problem I can foresee is:

certain skills give you the ability to train your officer in III-skills. but what skills you can teach depends on what class you are. as a tactical officer you'll be able to teach Fire at Will, Beam Overload, Torpedo spread, High Yield etc. etc. to your tactical bridge officers... they're all LtCmdr and Cmdr skills.

but no cruiser have any LtCmdr or Cmdr Tactical Bridge Officer Stations.

you'll be able to use their III-abilities on the ground though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleriel
the only problem I can foresee is:

certain skills give you the ability to train your officer in III-skills. but what skills you can teach depends on what class you are. as a tactical officer you'll be able to teach Fire at Will, Beam Overload, Torpedo spread, High Yield etc. etc. to your tactical bridge officers... they're all LtCmdr and Cmdr skills.

but no cruiser have any LtCmdr or Cmdr Tactical Bridge Officer Stations.

you'll be able to use their III-abilities on the ground though.
Or, use the skills trainer in earth spacedock for skill you cannot train BOs in.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-30-2010, 07:01 AM
It depends on your personal style of play. Escorts will ultimately deal more damage than cruisers per hit, but cruisers have more weapons slots. So the trade off is, in essence, having one BIG bang or a half-dozen slightly smaller bangs.

Eleriel also brings up a point regarding training officers, but apart from training other tactical officers I don't think it would have much of an effect apart from ground combat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Just be aware that since cannons can only be mounted on Escorts that all cannon related powers will be useless in a cruiser. Just make sure you train them in something else.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-Dax View Post
Or, use the skills trainer in earth spacedock for skill you cannot train BOs in.
last I check, they don't have the III-skills. only I's and II's.

you CAN however, get rare BOs which may have the III's you want.

lastly... if you find that there IS a marked difference... just use the respec that cryptic has said is coming and make him an escort captain and make another en engineer character for your cruiser. they're *very* fun to play as well
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleriel
last I check, they don't have the III-skills. only I's and II's.
Really? I didn't know that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-30-2010, 07:14 AM
There are some limitations with cross class ship command, but it really depends on how you want to play. A tactical officer on a cruiser will potentially have higher damage output than the Engineer would, but the tactical officer doesnt have the defensive abilities.

Its basically a trade off. Cruisers are more forgiving than the Escorts are though.

I tried a tactical officer in an escort and cruiser in Beta and it seemed to work just fine. However, my Engineer in the Escort had survivability issues. (took too long to kill things and defenses couldnt keep up)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.