Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 201
01-30-2010, 09:39 AM
The game just nuked my relatively new nivdia card. WTG Cryptic. I wish I had the money to spend on the lifetime sub, now it's going to my new doggamn video card.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 202 This needs fixing!!
01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
I experience serious overheating problems of my nvidia gtx285 card. My pc has no problems with running other games, but this game is seriously overheating my PC.

I use a quad core phenom black edition processor
windows 7
Nvidia gtx 285
6 gig ram
2,99ghz pc

Problem is that my graphics card is running like crazy and it is burning hot, game crashes every 2-3minutes because of overheating.
As I have read lots of people are experiencing similar problems, and buying a load of new graphicscards being ruined by STO is certainly not gonna create a lot of long tiime subs, pls fix this sooner rather than later.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 203
01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Fix for me in beta was generally to manually set my fan to run at a higher speed.

GTX285

Idle at low 50s, most games in the 60s, STO will put me into the high 80s.

Download RivaTuner @ http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163 and set fan to 80 - 85% and I sit at high 60s, to low 70s and everything is fine.

For some reason GPU fan was not kicking it automatically like it should /shrug -- I don't have to do this for any other games, I'm playing mass effect 2 maxed out while servers are down for instance and don't need to muck with my fan settings... but I do know that once I did it, STO runs fine and temps stay in the safe range and I can play just fine (well when servers are up anyways ).


P.S. It is the software BTW, the engine should not need to push GFX card like it does. Crysis and **** don't push it this hard this consistently. Its not that the software breaks your card, its that it pushes your card so IF you have bad airflow or clogged fans, it really exacerbates the issue.

It'd be like saying your car runs fine every time you drive a few blocks to the store, but crapped out on you the one time you drop two states over at 80mph the whole way. That said, bumping my fan settings was all I needed to compensate (since I do have an expensive top of the line coolermaster case with like 12 fans, clean wiring, good airflow, a cool room, and what is supposed to be a cool running gtx285)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 204
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVermont View Post
The game just nuked my relatively new nivdia card. WTG Cryptic. I wish I had the money to spend on the lifetime sub, now it's going to my new doggamn video card.
You killed your video card, not Cryptic. If your PC was overheating or your video card died for non-heat reasons, then it's your responsibility. Games don't damage hardware, inadequately cooling or maintaining your PC does.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 205
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
My card is running at around 64 to 68C. Im not sure if this is normal for a card, but what is this Vsync thing everyone was talking about? Is it something you turn on/off within the game?

Also... what was the command you can imput to limit you fps? Thanks for your replies!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 206
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
i used to have overheating issues with my pc untill i got rid of my old case and got a propper gamer case with 5 cooling fans . before sto would run at 95c and now it runs as 55c at pretty much full settings.


please do not blame this game

it is your fault for getting big ass GPU / CPU with a poorly ventalated case

and a good gamer case only costs between 90-110 a very wise investment for a next upgrade.


also please remeber STO is a next gen PC game and will push your machine very hard so amatuers go cry elsewhere if u lose hardware due to your own ego
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 207
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narix
i used to have overheating issues with my pc untill i got rid of my old case and got a propper gamer case with 5 cooling fans . before sto would run at 95c and now it runs as 55c at pretty much full settings.


please do not blame this game

it is your fault for getting big ass GPU / CPU with a poorly ventalated case

and a good gamer case only costs between 90-110 a very wise investment for a next upgrade.


also please remeber STO is a next gen PC game and will push your machine very hard so amatuers go cry elsewhere if u lose hardware due to your own ego
Instead of trolling you should use your energy elsewhere. Don't come tell me that STO is so demanding when it comes to graphics and performance compared to similar next gen games. A high end PC should run this easily without any probs whatsoever. There is a heating problem no matter what you say, and it must be addressed by the ones that have made the game. I think most of us know that dust, bad ventilation, cabinets can cause overheat, but when there is no problems with running other games, why does this game that demands less of machinepower than eg. *** cause problems for a big load of people?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 208
01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
if your video card is overheating then you first need to take a look at your computer case there are a lot of case out there that don't allow for proper air flow, like alien ware case. i myself have had overheating problems until i got a new case.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 209
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I find it odd that typing /maxfps ingame fixed this issue for everyone that knows about it. Its not dirty cases its the game. For 2 days I struggled trying to find out the issue until I read that someone else had the issue and fixed it by setting the FPS in game. After I saw that my FPS was set to 0.00000 I set it to my liking and now havent had the issue.

I run a very powerful rig. It was not the cooling. It was noot dirty. It was the game end of subject. At this point Cryptic should just own up to it and say they are working on fixing the issue. Blaming peoples rigs is wrong and sad when they know for a fact its not peoples system. Try the /maxfps command and I promise that if its set to 0.00000 then thats your problem.

Cmon cryptic the fix has been found in game the cat is out of the bag and its obvious the problem was the game. Fix this issue before more people destroy their rigs. The genie is out you cant put it back.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 210
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallaballa
Instead of trolling you should use your energy elsewhere. Don't come tell me that STO is so demanding when it comes to graphics and performance compared to similar next gen games. A high end PC should run this easily without any probs whatsoever. There is a heating problem no matter what you say, and it must be addressed by the ones that have made the game. I think most of us know that dust, bad ventilation, cabinets can cause overheat, but when there is no problems with running other games, why does this game that demands less of machinepower than eg. *** cause problems for a big load of people?
dude check my post the answer has been found and indeed it was the game after all.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM.