Captain
It was bad enough when the team abilities (ST,ET,TT) got taken out of having shared cooldowns and all of a sudden you started seeing aux2bat cruisers that were pretty much immune to debuffs, specially if they use the debuff clearing doff. Now you're going to add this trait that just make things worse.

Engineering
Activating any Engineering Bridge Officer ability gives 20% Damage Reduction for 3 seconds.

Now, if you first fixed the whole problem with ALWAYS having everything at global CD using aux2bat and technicians, I would have no problem with this one, but given the fact that I see no movement towards that, this is just completely over the top. They already proc on inspirational leader a lot because of all the boff abilities they have up all the time, now you give them extra resistance with a 20% chance on top of that? Please tell me after it procs it's locked out from another proc for some amount of time.
Captain
# 2
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
For some reason, Cryptic is really pushing A2B build on us. I think they want to sell a lot of doff packs to people who want technicians and energy weapon abiltiy reduction officers.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Captain
# 3
07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Honestly, I don't see that benefitting aux2batt cruisers all that much more than Aux2anythingelse cruisers.

Consider: What abilities will a typical cruiser activate:
EPTX/Y every 15 seconds.
Aux2Something every 10-15 seconds. If a cruiser isn't Aux2batting, it's Aux2SIFing or Aux2Damping instead.

On top of that, it's "Damage Reduction", which means it's likely to suffer the same brutal diminshing returns of other "damage reduction" boni.
Career Officer
# 4
07-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Eh, 3s on and 12s off isn't be that bad, is it? Especially on already-tough cruisers, it doesn't really interest me.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 5
07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Honestly, I don't see that benefitting aux2batt cruisers all that much more than Aux2anythingelse cruisers.

Consider: What abilities will a typical cruiser activate:
EPTX/Y every 15 seconds.
Aux2Something every 10-15 seconds. If a cruiser isn't Aux2batting, it's Aux2SIFing or Aux2Damping instead.

On top of that, it's "Damage Reduction", which means it's likely to suffer the same brutal diminshing returns of other "damage reduction" boni.
Say you've got a boat with...

X, X, X, X
X, X, X

...if you AtB that - how often are you going to be popping Eng abilities compared to if you weren't?

Sure, you might be hitting your EPtX abilities around the same time - but - you're going to be hitting those three other Eng abilities faster.

While there is the diminishing returns on damage resistance, you don't have to stack it. You pick this up - frees you up to do something else elsewhere. But you don't quite get that option if you're not running AtB.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Republic Veteran
# 6
07-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

X, X, X, X
X, X, X

...if you AtB that - how often are you going to be popping Eng abilities compared to if you weren't?

Sure, you might be hitting your EPtX abilities around the same time - but - you're going to be hitting those three other Eng abilities faster.

While there is the diminishing returns on damage resistance, you don't have to stack it. You pick this up - frees you up to do something else elsewhere. But you don't quite get that option if you're not running AtB.
Honestly I starting to think nearly all aux abilities should not be activatable while aux is down or make a steeper penalty for having no power to aux.
Captain
# 7
07-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho80 View Post
Engineering
Activating any Engineering Bridge Officer ability gives 20% Damage Reduction for 3 seconds.
I'm not even sure what this means. Is it

(a) shield damage reduction,
(b) damage resistance,
(c) bonus damage resistance,
(d) something similar to the damage reduction from abilities like Aceton Beam and Weapons Malfunction?

I'm also not sure how (d) works; it might work differently for ground and space too.
Captain
# 8
07-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

X, X, X, X
X, X, X

Well, ATB'd, I'd be popping my EPTX every 15 seconds, my ATB itself every 10, DEM every...however many, but that is so much of a much slower cycle that it won't even matter given that I'm popping something every 10 and 15 sec already, so anything else is just going to overlap.

Un-ATB'ed, I'd again, be popping my EPTX every 15 seconds, my aux2sif or aux2damp every 10-15 seconds depending on what I'm doing with it...

So not much changes. ATB'd, I can throw an Engi team more often, but that's going to be on a 15-20s cycle and not going to add much to a 10-15s cycle, plus you probably won't be spamming Engi team mindlessly. The result is that you're not really gaining much you didn't already.

And, of course, we don't actually know what the ability does. What *IS* 20% damage resistance? A bit of hull armor, subject to Diminishing Returns mauling? Eh...such gappy, unreliable armor, isn't going to convince me to replace my existing armor to depend on this. I am not convinced that the sky is falling here.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 9
07-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
For some reason, Cryptic is really pushing A2B build on us. I think they want to sell a lot of doff packs to people who want technicians and energy weapon abiltiy reduction officers.
We actually really don't like A2B, but it's a bit of a "third rail" situation. When we have the right fix to it, someday, we'll probably possibly maybe make it.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Captain
# 10
07-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
We actually really don't like A2B, but it's a bit of a "third rail" situation. When we have the right fix to it, someday, we'll probably possibly maybe make it.
"The right to fix it"

What does this mean?
Chive on and prosper

Anarchy Nexus recruitment thread