Lt. Commander
So I had put 50 BOff points into a BOff skill when I received a new BOff opportunity with as skill I wanted more. So I used him to train... and woo it worked! Never could do that in beta... then come to find out... The BOff skill points I had put into the old skill were lost. It still showed that I spent them... and they didn't return to the pool, but the new skill was at minimum. This does make logical sense... and I'm not complaining... so don't flame me and be all like YOU IDIOT YOU SHOULD DIE FOR KNOWING EVERYTHING N00B!!!!!onetyone YOUR ARE FAILTIEM NAO!!!

kthx?
I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks that we should get those points back? or that they should be transfered into the new skil?l I mean It costs the same to level up the skill regardless of what it is anyway so why make us re-earn them? As I said I guess I understand... but there's no real skills tree or anything that I can find that tells me what skills are even available... so until one pops up that might be better right now it's my best interest not to spend any points on my BOffs at all. Just in case I like a different skill... All the encouragement to spend skill points but none of the warnings of what could happen if you train a skill in? or is it a bug?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm curious on if it's a bug or intentional as well.

That said, I'm already being extremely cautios over spending BO points after discovering this in Beta (spent 300 points and then lost them in retraining). I can see where it makes sense, in a way, as well... but it is kind of a weak move.

Clarification would be lovely - I'll deal with it if it's intentional, but knowing one way or another would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxicorm View Post
This does make logical sense... and I'm not complaining...

I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks that we should get those points back?
Pretty sure you answered it in your own post. And no, it's not a bug, it's by design. You spend points training your BO in a certain skill, but then give them another skill, it wouldn't make any sense for your to get the points back since you can't undo the training, and also training in one skill does not help another skill.

However if you went back to your original skill, I dunno what happens but that would kinda make sense if you got your original ranks in that skill back...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
There's no skill cap on BO skill poiints so even when you've reached the player character skill cap, you'll still be earning BO skill points; so, yeah when you re-train a BO in a totally new ability, you loose any BO skill points spent on it; by design, so not a bug - WAI.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUE_The6BillionKgMan
Pretty sure you answered it in your own post. And no, it's not a bug, it's by design. You spend points training your BO in a certain skill, but then give them another skill, it wouldn't make any sense for your to get the points back since you can't undo the training, and also training in one skill does not help another skill.

However if you went back to your original skill, I dunno what happens but that would kinda make sense if you got your original ranks in that skill back...
That might something to try but I'm guessing you'd lose the points again.
As I said I understand the point of losing the points because of the new skill... but I also no longer have the ability to use the old skill... trained up or not. It's counter intuitive since I never know if the skill I'm training is the one I want to keep.... Once I've spent my skill points on them if a newer better skill pops up that I didn't know existed I'm less likely to train it in now unless it's obviously so much better that I'm willing to forfeit the points. Glad this character is my test one either way. If the old skill comes up on a future officer I'll pop it back in and let you guys know what happens... By the same logic that cost me those points in the first place, they should still be present when I train back the old skill. I mean it doesn't make sense from a coding perspective and isn't likely true but from an in game continuity perspective that should be how it works... not just one way or the other. It can't be ALL loss. That's just laziness then.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Used point will be lost is you ask a BO to train a new skill that will replace a trained one.
It's a feature that has been well documented, look into cryptic online database manual,I'm pretty sure I saw it into.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxicorm View Post
That might something to try but I'm guessing you'd lose the points again.
As I said I understand the point of losing the points because of the new skill... but I also no longer have the ability to use the old skill... trained up or not. It's counter intuitive since I never know if the skill I'm training is the one I want to keep.... Once I've spent my skill points on them if a newer better skill pops up that I didn't know existed I'm less likely to train it in now unless it's obviously so much better that I'm willing to forfeit the points. Glad this character is my test one either way. If the old skill comes up on a future officer I'll pop it back in and let you guys know what happens... By the same logic that cost me those points in the first place, they should still be present when I train back the old skill. I mean it doesn't make sense from a coding perspective and isn't likely true but from an in game continuity perspective that should be how it works... not just one way or the other. It can't be ALL loss. That's just laziness then.
Go to the BO trainer in Starbase 01 and look at the various BO powers. I'm pretty sure that's as close to a complete list as you're ever going to get. That should allow you to see which ones you do and don't want.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 12:42 PM
In closed beta you could actually keep the points you spent in the old skill slot when you swapped it with a different skill. So for example, if my tac officer had 9 points in High Yield Torpedo I for it's ENS space skill, and I trained it in Beam Overload I, it kept the 9 points in that slot.

It was changed later in beta to start over, and I don't recall Cryptic ever giving a reason. I can see a reason to have it either way, but the first way would make more sense if there were only a finite amount of BO points around.

What I don't get is why the "Points spent on officer" reflects total points rather than current points. This could have something to do with promotion... So you can still promote an officer even though the current points it has may be less than the total needed to promote (ex: you just replaced several of it's skills).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Dire: your av vaguely reminds me of the Thundercats logo...
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 01:01 PM
so each bridge officer can only have one skill then?