Lt. Commander
Ok here is a simple formula for ya

(F x T) / S = Crash

Where

F = number of Fans
T = Time of day peak hours
S = Number of Servers

Subset meaning

Champions had a Small fanbase and Str Trek has a MASSIVE fanbase so an ida for Champions is NOT a good idea for Star Trek...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
So anybody ELSE think single server is a bad idea..
Nope, I like it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Obviously there really is no benefit to their instancing. Its a failed concept that hopefully dies here.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
Ok here is a simple formula for ya

(F x T) / S = Crash

Where

F = number of Fans
T = Time of day peak hours
S = Number of Servers

Subset meaning

Champions had a Small fanbase and Str Trek has a MASSIVE fanbase so an ida for Champions is NOT a good idea for Star Trek...
Your thinking is too simplistic. There are many ways to handle a game on a single server. STO happens to employ probably the worst of them.

I personally think single server games are superior to those that aren't, but NOT the way STO was done. I'd encourage you to check out EVE and how they have done the single server game. It feels immense and wondrous, and you really get the sense you are part of a grand community, and in an expansive universe.

STO however was divided into tons of shards and instances which is the cheap way of doing a single server set up. In any case, the way Cryptic did it, I think it is probably the most inferior server set up, more so than a multiple server set up even.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
Obviously there really is no benefit to their instancing. Its a failed concept that hopefully dies here.
Going to have to agree on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Cryptic, please make an RP server so I don't have to play with them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
Your thinking is too simplistic. There are many ways to handle a game on a single server. STO happens to employ probably the worst of them.

I personally think single server games are superior to those that aren't, but NOT the way STO was done. I'd encourage you to check out EVE and how they have done the single server game. It feels immense and wondrous, and you really get the sense you are part of a grand community, and in an expansive universe.

STO however was divided into tons of shards and instances which is the cheap way of doing a single server set up. In any case, the way Cryptic did it, I think it is probably the most inferior server set up, more so than a multiple server set up even.
The way servers are instanced right now, the game feels more like Diablo II. Sector space is the lobby.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
I've been saying that since the day it was announced. They asked us time and time again to give them the benefit of the doubt, what with their "its hard to explain, you just have to experience it for yourself" routine.

We'll I'ev played STO for a few months now, and all I can say is, their heavy instancing of the game sucks.

"Whats the cheapest way to make a game, and make the biggest profit" pfff
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Unexpected downtime
and for those ******.* that dont like the game , ***.* off then more space for us that do like it
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Jita lag feast
took Eve time and money to sort out a single server, it still isnt perfect and likely never will be.

anyway this isnt a single server, the one thing I dislike about sto setup is the zone chat is fast and putrid.