Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
The gold shirts may have been an extension of the older times or the actual metal signifying command. For example, gold stripes on black uniform jackets, which is interesting since traditionally the color of Silver usually signifies seniority over gold.

Consider that Admiral uniforms were still red throughout.

Another thing that is STO related is that;

1. Your character is a pseudo-acting CO, abruptly brought from normal division duties to being CO.

2. You can very well make your character's uniform Pink.

3. We are supposedly in an alternate timeline (correct?)

But still on a whole past the 2300s the "Color of Command" was Red as seen in TNG and onward.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
...And Picard was a helmsman before becoming captain, similar to Sulu who also eventually became a captain. Think about that!

Regards,
-Grey
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Id Rather the Enemy not be able to pick me out of a crowd as my captian. I mean if My captian is wearing a diffrent color from other people in my away team well.. One would think that the Klingons would say Hey look at the Guy in the green shirt.. Bet hes important kill him!... XD

However if you read a bit it does state in a few places that Starfleet relaxed their uniform codes allowing ship captians to denote their own custom uniforms for their ship while maintaining the rank ensignia that Starfleet uses. The reason i can see this happening is because Starfleet isnt realy supposed to be a military and more of a planetary conglomerate of intrest in space and its exploration. While with the Klingon empire and Romulan star Empire they are more military and I can see them having a more rigid system for uniforms etc. Which can explain why i have to have those terrible Klingon sholder pads if I make a Klingon Empire character.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyneux View Post
The gold shirts may have been an extension of the older times or the actual metal signifying command. For example, gold stripes on black uniform jackets, which is interesting since traditionally the color of Silver usually signifies seniority over gold.

Consider that Admiral uniforms were still red throughout.

Another thing that is STO related is that;

1. Your character is a pseudo-acting CO, abruptly brought from normal division duties to being CO.

2. You can very well make your character's uniform Pink.

3. We are supposedly in an alternate timeline (correct?)

But still on a whole past the 2300s the "Color of Command" was Red as seen in TNG and onward.
No actually were in the original Star Trek Timeline. Spock and Nero created a Alternate timeline and are stuck there while we are here. all your other points are completely valid however.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Personally though I'm an Engineer I'm still wearing red in the old fleet style. Redshirt pride! Since we're allowed to choose uniforms now it doesn't seem to matter anyhow. You can take your BOs to the tailor and dress them in whatever you see fit.

All departments were wearing red in a good chunk of the movies, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 17 Uniform colors
01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
There was a uniform switch between the origional series and the next generation, star trek online goes with the next generation color scheme with a few minor things in the series that make things a bit confusing.

Red= Command - Saying red is tactical isn't really accurate, red is suppose to represent command indicating a leadership role, not nessicarily a skill background. Riker was more tactical oriented while picard was more science oriented but both wore red because they were in leadership roles. If you were a pureist then no matter what profession line you picked your captain would be wearing red because of their position as a commanding officer.

Blue = Science - This encompasses physics, medical, and social sciences (see freaking hips after she ditched the purple number in TNG) Spock is a bit of an oddity because he was both the first officer and the science officer but that could have something to do with the original series timeline aswell.

Gold = Operations - This covers anything to do with running the ship and maintaining it. Data was the ships helm officer (although he also fufilled command and science roles in TNG but that's cuz data is weird) but since his official job was to point the ship in the direction it was suppose to go he was considered operations. Worf was operations aswell on the enterprise (after the death of yar) because he was the Security officer and security is part of ship operations, when he went over to deep space 9 he transfered to command.

It's all a bit convoluted but basically the color is indicitive of the characters job on the ship not their area of expertice, however since it's an mmo I recommend you just have fun and wear the color you like wearing. But if we were being loyal to the series all captains, and their first officers, would be wearing red, all their engineers would be wearing yellow, and their science/medical officers would be wearing blue.

Personally I'm gonna wear green cuz I like green.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlueHero View Post
One thing I do, that I picked up from someone else here and that I have seen other players doing, is to let the combadges signify captaincy.

My captain, whose background is science, wears a gold combadge with the Command starburst on it. My bridge officers and crew wear silver combadges which carry their division emblems.

This way, you can still tell who's the captain at a glance.

Hope this helps,

KOS
Oooh. Didn't even think of this! Will have to do some tweaking when the servers are back up. Nice idea.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iiillume
Personally though I'm an Engineer I'm still wearing red in the old fleet style. Redshirt pride! Since we're allowed to choose uniforms now it doesn't seem to matter anyhow. You can take your BOs to the tailor and dress them in whatever you see fit.

All departments were wearing red in a good chunk of the movies, after all.
^^I've done this to! Figured it made more sense to the command era style of TNG and might also 'surprise' some people in game.

Other modifications include a purple science uniform, and a more orange than yellow engineering fashion (see the orange right above the preset yellow for engies). These are all set against mostly black, sometimes with minor gray.

Regards,
-Grey
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeny
There was a uniform switch between the origional series and the next generation, star trek online goes with the next generation color scheme with a few minor things in the series that make things a bit confusing.

Red= Command - Saying red is tactical isn't really accurate, red is suppose to represent command indicating a leadership role, not nessicarily a skill background. Riker was more tactical oriented while picard was more science oriented but both wore red because they were in leadership roles. If you were a pureist then no matter what profession line you picked your captain would be wearing red because of their position as a commanding officer.

Blue = Science - This encompasses physics, medical, and social sciences (see freaking hips after she ditched the purple number in TNG) Spock is a bit of an oddity because he was both the first officer and the science officer but that could have something to do with the original series timeline aswell.

Gold = Operations - This covers anything to do with running the ship and maintaining it. Data was the ships helm officer (although he also fufilled command and science roles in TNG but that's cuz data is weird) but since his official job was to point the ship in the direction it was suppose to go he was considered operations. Worf was operations aswell on the enterprise (after the death of yar) because he was the Security officer and security is part of ship operations, when he went over to deep space 9 he transfered to command.

It's all a bit convoluted but basically the color is indicitive of the characters job on the ship not their area of expertice, however since it's an mmo I recommend you just have fun and wear the color you like wearing. But if we were being loyal to the series all captains, and their first officers, would be wearing red, all their engineers would be wearing yellow, and their science/medical officers would be wearing blue.

Personally I'm gonna wear green cuz I like green.
And when Data briefly replaced Riker he traded in his gold uniform for a red one then but back on the yellow shirt after Riker was reinstated.