Lt. Commander
They wouldnt be able to rush the game out the door as fast if they actually had to develop something like crafting for the game. The more they can just reuse CO game engine mechanics verbatim the fast they can get the $$$. Watch now other MMO companies will start omitting feature like this once they figure out they can get away with it.......
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 02:22 PM
While there is nothing stating that Crafting has to be a part of the game. I would like to be able to deconstruct items, be able to actually create items. Have my character(s) learn schematics especially if as an Engineer and work from there.

While requiring I don't know how much coding. It could potentially open up a whole new aspect of STO though it would probably be akin to at least one other game.

Hell then I might actually feel like an Engineer in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
What is the purpose of crafting if we have replicators?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Crafting = non combat gameplay = "boring".
C'mon Ragerx, let's go kill 47 waves of KlinGornOrions ships together, this will be fun ! And since there are 47 of them, it's Startrek !
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
Ask that to Cryptic : they said there will be crafting in the game. Unless you consider they don't know what they're talking about ?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
To "make" parts :p for things that Engineers could work on. <Shrug>

I think Cryptic could limit the size/scale/amount/type of things made in/with the Replicator.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I honestly think they couldn't think of any way to include a crafting system. Thinking about it more just makes me think this is the most logical answer. How would you put in crafting in a star trek mmo? The only thing I can come up with really is something similar to what they have which is a system that upgrades what you have. I mean in the series the engineers like laforge and obrien would modify what they have perhaps making it run better etc. The closest thing I have seen in star trek was in voyager with the photonic holograms mining dilithium when the doc was seeking equal treatment. Why would we mine our own resources anyways when we can use holograms? Look at todays assembly lines for any product and they automate as much as possible.

Upgrades seem the best solution so far imo.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilican View Post
To "make" parts :p for things that Engineers could work on. <Shrug>

I think Cryptic could limit the size/scale/amount/type of things made in/with the Replicator.
Doesnt someone have to develop the "recipes" for the replicators?? Why not just call that "development costs"
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh well, OP helps prove the correlation of people who waste tons of money on rigs but are stupid as ****.

Well done mate, now go do something more useful than making a fool of yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconnaise
I honestly think they couldn't think of any way to include a crafting system. Thinking about it more just makes me think this is the most logical answer. How would you put in crafting in a star trek mmo? The only thing I can come up with really is something similar to what they have which is a system that upgrades what you have. I mean in the series the engineers like laforge and obrien would modify what they have perhaps making it run better etc. The closest thing I have seen in star trek was in voyager with the photonic holograms mining dilithium when the doc was seeking equal treatment. Why would we mine our own resources anyways when we can use holograms? Look at todays assembly lines for any product and they automate as much as possible.

Upgrades seem the best solution so far imo.
Then call it that dont try to make it rain yellow and call it good..I honestly think that they have no idea HOW to implement crafting because they are incompetent in some areas. I mean really go steal a dev from Blizz already to teach you how to build a crafting system........