Lt. Commander
# 11 Pawn Shop
01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Have you tried a pawn shop yet? Thieves tend to steal high end computers and sell them to pawn shops for quick cash.
Lt. Commander
# 12 that is funny
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
im looking for a gaming laptop as well something i can play STO when im onduty at the fire dept for a 24 hour shift ,,, what do you folks think about alienware are they fairly good/dependable laptops for the money and will they play STO
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I use a Acer Aspire 8920, Dual Core, 19 inch screen, Nvidia 9500 video card, 4 GBs of Ram, 640g hard drive, Blueray Drive, etc, works great for the game with the graphics on full blast.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
notebookreview.com is a good website for reviews, plus they have some forums (discussions), one of which is a "what notebook should I buy" forum... where you can fill out a FAQ and post it and people will tend to try and help you find something to meet your needs... usually pretty good advice there.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremedicNEO View Post
im looking for a gaming laptop as well something i can play STO when im onduty at the fire dept for a 24 hour shift ,,, what do you folks think about alienware are they fairly good/dependable laptops for the money and will they play STO
I'm playing on an Alienware m17x (first gen0;
2.8Ghz Dual Core Intel / 4GB RAM / 320GB storage (2 hard drives) / DVDRW / 1200p LCD screen / 260m SLI

I can pretty much play everything out there with this. There was some tweaking involved due to the DPC issue (read the very long thread in the Alienware forum at NotebookReviews), but I didn't have it as bad as others. Really, you want to wait for the R2 series that just started rolling out. No nVidia cards (no DPC issues, as far as we can see atm) but they're rocking RGB LED screens and i5/i7 mobile cores for about what I would of paid for mine.

I also have an Asus G50vx (Best Buy model), upgraded the CPU from the stock to 2.8Ghz as well. It runs a solo nVidia 280m and can handle just about everything my Alienware can (picked it up for $1k USD, Alienware would of cost me $2.5+.... won it in the CoH launch contest last year though).