Lt. Commander
# 211
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVermont View Post
The game just nuked my relatively new nivdia card. WTG Cryptic. I wish I had the money to spend on the lifetime sub, now it's going to my new doggamn video card.
Dude its not your cooling check my post the answer was found and indeed it was the game. I dont know why some posters stil lclaim its cooling issues; perhaps they are secret devs i dont know.
Lt. Commander
# 212
01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I might be walking through a minefield when I say this but... most new gfx cards seem to have bad stock coolers. They simply won't handle the card running at 100% for extended periods of time, even at factory clocks. (only tried 4850, 4870 and 8800 tho)

They might be able to handle it in very well ventilated cases and preferably cold air blowing in straight at the card

These overheating issues reminds me of the exact same issues ppl were having in GalCiv2 way back, ofcourse they blamed the game back then too

and STO runs fine on my oc gtx260, never seen it go over 64C (running an almost identical system as this threads resident fireman Sulda)
Lt. Commander
# 213
01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadde View Post
Dude its not your cooling check my post the answer was found and indeed it was the game. I dont know why some posters stil lclaim its cooling issues; perhaps they are secret devs i dont know.
Because "some posters" have a mind, have worked with hardware most of their lives, work with it and troubleshoot it on a daily basis, are not "secret devs", and do not get emotional or place blame if they think their PCs are perfect, not to mention haven't been banned over personal attacks when trying to defend their PC/tech skills.
Lt. Commander
# 214
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
You killed your video card, not Cryptic. If your PC was overheating or your video card died for non-heat reasons, then it's your responsibility. Games don't damage hardware, inadequately cooling or maintaining your PC does.
Please don't try to post authoritatively when you have no idea what you're talking about. I have 4 fans in my tower with two directed at the GPU for extra cooling. I clean my tower meticulously on a routine schedule.

I have never had this issue before. This particular game has also caused my notebook to start acting funny and not filter colors properly. This is clearly a much bigger issue.
Lt. Commander
# 215
01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Please don't try to post authoritatively when you have no idea what you're talking about. I have 4 fans in my tower with two directed at the GPU for extra cooling. I clean my tower meticulously on a routine schedule.

It's a matter of fact, not opinion.

I have never had this issue before. This particular game has also caused my notebook to start acting funny and not filter colors properly. This is clearly a much bigger issue.
Then you might have adequate cooling but a defective/overheating video card. The two can be separate issues. But the fact is, the game is NOT overheating or killing your video card. If your video card/GPU overheats when at 100% load, then you have issues not related to the game. Of course you can reduce graphics settings and set vertical sync to reduce load on your GPU to help, but you still have a problem with hardware, and your GPU/video card would fail when stress testing with other software..
Lt. Commander
# 216
01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:

thx bro that guy just keeps following me around I think maybe hes upset that I may have been right after all. Sadly the problem was found to be in game after all so i dont know why he is still upset. Everyone who I know in the guild that im in who had this isuue fixed it by doing this. At this point i dont see the point in argueing about it anymore with him when the facts speak so simply for themselves. If you have this issue go try it and see what happens then decide who is right.
Lt. Commander
# 217
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Because "some posters" have a mind, have worked with hardware most of their lives, work with it and troubleshoot it on a daily basis, are not "secret devs", and do not get emotional or place blame if they think their PCs are perfect, not to mention haven't been banned over personal attacks when trying to defend their PC/tech skills.
just because you know mods on the forum still doesnt change the fact i was right. I was right you were wrong and getting people banned just because youre wrong doesnt make u look any better. People will try the command and will see who is right so just get over it bro you arent right all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 218
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
And how do you set the fps to what you'd like Fadde???
Lt. Commander
# 219
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
The game just nuked my relatively new nivdia card. WTG Cryptic. I wish I had the money to spend on the lifetime sub, now it's going to my new doggamn video card.
If its new then RMA it.

Since its not Cryptics fault and all. Its the manufacturers fault.

Your video card should be able to run at 100% load 24/7 with no issues.

Its like blaming a pot hole for your car running out of gas.
Lt. Commander
# 220
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:

That doesnt change anything.

The nVidia 280GTX was RMA'd in the hundreds of thousands because they overheated too much. nVidia even acknowledged the problem.
Closed Thread