Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Games like ****, which was "tested" for almost a year in Asia prior to release here. Was the best I've seen. But it still wasn't perfect.

None of the other releases were stable at first. And about the only ones I haven't tried are: WAR amd LotR. Every MMO has a rocky start. And considering how popular this game is ... I'm amazed they've done this well.

For instance I haven't seen the game crash where they had a roll back. And it seems they are "bringing the servers down" rather than allowing them to crash. I just don't understand why it takes so long to get them fixed and back up again.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
"Has there ever been a smooth MMOG launch?"

Seriously, why should we accept mediocrity? How many MMORPGs have there been before STO. Who cares about what the others did before us. This is 2010 and every person complaining has a right to expect progress. Is it possible that Cryptic and Atari have not learned anything from past MMORPG launches? It certainly looks that way.

People will argue that Star Trek fans are a discerning bunch and that we expect too much from this game. Well, my feeling is that Cryptic and Atari should have known this and should have ensured the games success by making it good. If it weren't for the included month with the purchase of the game, I'd probably be playing BF2 beta. As it stands, the head start is no different than the OB and watching old episodes of TNG is more enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
Not strictly an MMO in some respects, but Guild Wars was pretty flawless to be honest.

Al
Yes, I hated it, but yes it was a flawless launch.
Lt. Commander
# 14
Is this where I come to desperately white knight for a game that I'm afraid is going to crater?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
Not strictly an MMO in some respects, but Guild Wars was pretty flawless to be honest.

Al
Actually my experience was the same. I hated the game, personally, but the actual launch was smooth.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen
There has been a rare few that fired up without much other than bugs to fix.
Got any names?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keniden
"Has there ever been a smooth MMOG launch?"

Seriously, why should we accept mediocrity? How many MMORPGs have there been before STO. Who cares about what the others did before us. This is 2010 and every person complaining has a right to expect progress. Is it possible that Cryptic and Atari have not learned anything from past MMORPG launches? It certainly looks that way.

People will argue that Star Trek fans are a discerning bunch and that we expect too much from this game. Well, my feeling is that Cryptic and Atari should have known this and should have ensured the games success by making it good. If it weren't for the included month with the purchase of the game, I'd probably be playing BF2 beta. As it stands, the head start is no different than the OB and watching old episodes of TNG is more enjoyable.
My goal here was not to defend what is currently happening with STO, nor to decry anyone for expressing their opinions. Stating the desire for change is what makes it happen (sometimes.)

My actual point was I could not personally recall a smooth launch and was just wondering if I was alone in that.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
FFxi had a perfect lauch here in the usa, but then it was out for a year in japan so everything was ironed out before hitting the US.

STO's Launch feels a bit like How WoWs lauch was, Game was smooth but blizzard didnt expect their servers to get overloaded to hell and back.

we have been getting the lag, loot lag in some cases and equip lag. Oh were also getting the Huge influx of losers who need to cry every time the servers go down that did plague wow at its release also.
Lt. Commander
# 19
Warhammer Online was flawless

course in doing so it killed the game

they had to many severs the Population was spread to far out

by time they tried to fix it it was too late
Lt. Commander
# 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal-p
Is this where I come to desperately white knight for a game that I'm afraid is going to crater?
No.

I really, really enjoyed my beta experience in STO and have high hopes for years of fun play. This was not intended to be (yet another) b*tch fest thread. Seriously.