Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lieutenant
# 661
07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
<QR> While earlier I had mentioned potentially increasing the time of all item creations to allow players to more easily get close to 100% of offline time as progression time in the system, we've instead decided to create "Research Projects". These projects will allow you to send a duty officer to do research for 20 hours at a time for a small amount of materials, making it more reasonable to progress in the system without logging in for multiple playsessions per day.

There are still more changes to outcome math and component pricing coming, but the component prices are dependent on the outcome math being final. We're also reviewing the XP curves, but no promises on immediate changes there, as we would rather bring them down over time than overreact now and have to bring them up later.
Good to hear that, that will make the system way more comfortable
Career Officer
# 662
07-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't know which logic brought you to 7 schools, but please either divide Projectiles into Torpedoes and Mines or mix Beams and Cannons into Space Energy Weapons.
First one half of the so called Community complains: "Give us instant access to all veteran rewards, for going lifetime.", then the other half of the same Community complains: "I've earned 1000 Day membership, I want a special reward.".
Stop complaining, if it is enough for you, you could have the "Captains Table" for the real veterans, I don't want access to another dead social zone...
Captain
# 663
07-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Quote:
<QR> While earlier I had mentioned potentially increasing the time of all item creations to allow players to more easily get close to 100% of offline time as progression time in the system, we've instead decided to create "Research Projects". These projects will allow you to send a duty officer to do research for 20 hours at a time for a small amount of materials, making it more reasonable to progress in the system without logging in for multiple playsessions per day.

There are still more changes to outcome math and component pricing coming, but the component prices are dependent on the outcome math being final. We're also reviewing the XP curves, but no promises on immediate changes there, as we would rather bring them down over time than overreact now and have to bring them up later.
Just to carry my suggestion to the eyes that might make use of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadandcircuses View Post
I'd still like to see crafting XP bonuses for having the "R+D - Dabbler" and "R+D - Genius" Accolades; a Common doff and a title aren't going to be that helpful in getting players to the point where they can even use the doff, and it's a Common... keep the doff, add +5% (Dabbler) and +15% (Genius) crafting XP bonuses to the Accolades. You want players at a high enough crafting level where they need those doffs, doff Roster slots, C-Store packs, Lock Box crafting doffs (we all know they'll be there), dilithium expenditures, etc. because that makes you money off the system.
Also, have you noticed that a couple of the Uncommon materials are not used in any component recipes, or that Ground Armor is now made with Warp Field Regulators and Ejection Systems? I know the latter is a side effect of how the craftable items were grouped; maybe shift Ground Armor into the Ground Weapons and call it Personal Armory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstorion View Post
Delicious bread and circuses time again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
I do enjoy my bread and circuses, Cryptic.
Sure it's out of context, and I don't work for Cryptic... but thanks!

Last edited by breadandcircuses; 07-10-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 664
07-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Love it or not, everyone at work
Rihannsu
# 665
07-11-2014, 01:11 AM
You might want to add a level restriction notification on an individual items crafting page as well

so for example, i was trying to make some mark VIII antiproton cannons. I was missing 3 component - firing sequencers. I clicked on the item and it took me to the componants crafting page.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps8a057bf9.jpg

as you can see the button is grayed out because i have not reached the correct level (level 5 in this case) but there is nothing on that page that lets me know that. i only realised when i went back to the main page and manually tried to find it.

It might also be a nice idea if you added a 'back' button on those individual crafting pages so if i click on a missing component and i can't craft that one, i can easily go back to the overall item to check on its other requirments rather than having to cancel and go select the item again.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 666
07-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Quote:

If we can get to level 15 in a school in 40 days, I think you've hit upon a rather perfect solution. I was dreading having to play Spreadsheets Online to level up my toons' crafting rather than go out and kill mooks.

I think now you guys just need to work on component pricing - i.e. make sure all materials are used in relatively similar quantities rather than have magnesite and hexaflorine gas be the primary materials for everything.

I still strongly suggest letting out Aegis DOFF be green quality or better. This is mostly because I don't want to accidentally dump him into the starbase.

(As is, can we please get an option to retrieve bound doffs that were accidentally dumped? I.e. the blue renown doffs, Gul Tain, etc.?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Would you rather that we had you press buttons on some console for 40 levels, serving as an ensign/lt on someone else's ship?

This is a game, people who play a Star Trek game want to be the Captain. While the justification for it in game may be weak, who cares? You get to fly your own ship.
Captain
# 667
07-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Quote:

That's good news.

I still think more XP on components and a queue need to be added, but a long project I can have running definitely solves some problems. As mentioned one of the problems with the xp requirement for 3 and 4 is the fact you are limited to low mark gear which means very little xp per and a lot of junk being produced.

I would like to add my support for increasing the rarity of the free aegis doff. personally, I'd like to see it be blue or purple since it's a better reward for having done the old crafting, but at least green keeps it out of the starbase.

On a related note, can the drop table of request R&D assistance be altered to give doffs a bit more. Components are great, but what I really need is the Doffs, and so far not to many seem to be coming out of it, and not at very good qualities. Doff packs are great to save time gathering good doffs, but if the normal drop tables are too low they become almost mandatory which I feel gets a little in the way of the idea of free to play (unrelated but similarly important, I also think it would be nice if some of the doffs from the oldest packs got added to the pool of the recruitment assignment pools).

I do still think it would be MUCH better to release crafting with the ability to select (at least some of) the mods you want on an item rather than promising it for later.

Also can everyone please just shut up about not getting anything for the old crafting system. It didn't actually take that much work and you ARE getting something for your trouble.
Career Officer
# 668
07-11-2014, 11:16 AM
(1)
Not sure if this is a problem because of corrupted character data, but on one of my characters on Tribble, I don't have an R&D inventory. I got the DOFF tutorial and the crafting tutorial, but the final step where you are supposed to create an item failed. IT may be due to a full inventory at the time. I am not sure how likely it is that anyone starts the tutorial with a full inventory (including R&D), but you may want to check that - because I now can't find a way to go back to that part of the crafting tutoria

(2) Should my log not tell me when certain items have been consumed by assignments or crafting? Or are items only consumed when finished?

(3) The Cost Prerequisites are indicated as filled when just one appropriate item exists, eve if multiple are required. The Start Task button stays greyed out and there is no tooltip explaining why. Hovering over the required item doesn't seem to help either.

Last edited by mustrumridcully0; 07-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Rihannsu
# 669
07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Ok, a few requests since the most recent patch.

A. Could we please have the crafting system consistently auto-choose the highest level DOff ?
It will often choose a blue DOff with only +15 skill when I still have purple DOffs offering +30 skill bonuses available. With as much clicking as this system requires, please, anything you can do to reduce the clicking would be appreciated.

B. Crafting components and created materials show up when visiting a vendor.
I've got over 90 slots of my 100 filled on the character I've been doing crafting with on Tribble. Every single stack shows up first when I visit a vendor and try to sell items. Scrolling past 90+ items in order to sell is ridiculous. Please make items in the R&D bag not show up when visiting a vendor. If I want to sell R&D materials, I'll do it at the exchange where I'd get something reasonable for my effort.

C. Starting Mk based projects is clunky.
Currently to craft a weapon, engine, console, etc, here's what you have to do (assume interface is already open):

1. Click the crafting tree the item is in.
  2. Scroll to the bottom and click the item I want to make.
  3. Move mouse from lower left of interface to upper right.
  4. Select the item type I want to make (for example, anti-proton, Phaser, Disrupter, etc). 2 clicks.
  5. Select the Mark I want it to be. 2 more clicks.
  6. Click the Confirm button
  7. Click the select button to choose a different duty officer (see point 1).
  8. Scroll and select different duty officer, then click "Assign Slot" button. 2 clicks.
  9. Select Catalysts. No idea since they're not on Tribble, but I'd says its safe to say those will take at least 3 clicks per catalyst you want to use.
  10. Click "Start Task".

Now at this point, you get a BIG button that says you can finish the project for X dilithium. However, most of the time, I'm going to want to start another project, so there's even more clicking to go back and start a new project.
It would be nice if there was also a "Craft Another?" button asking you if you wanted to craft another item with the same base settings (Item Type and Mark) so you could go right into another without needing to do all that clicking. Heck, that would even be welcome for crafting components.

I know its late in the game but the crafting interface really is terrible. There's WAY too much mouse waggling and clicking. 17 clicks to make a high end item. 11 if not using a Catalyst. That's also not taking into account you can double click an assignment to start it, which trades off a little less mouse motion for another click. That really is inefficient. I know you put a lot of work into the interface, it shows, but this design was not thought of from the standpoint of efficiency of motion and energy.

You could shave off two clicks by having each item type (for weapons, again, Phaser, Disrupter, etc.) have its own button, and having the Mark selection under it. also, at that point, you could have the mark selection act as the confirm button, saving a third click. You have the tech; the way the "Change" button works proves it.
You'd save another 3 clicks (and a lot of frustration) on average by having the system choose the highest ranking DOff by default.
I don't see a more efficient way to handle catalysts, because I don't have access to them yet. That said, if you clicked the empty catalyst window, it could auto assign your best one from your inventory. That would save 2 clicks per catalyst.

So, with my suggestions, you could get crafting a Mark based piece of gear down to only about 5 clicks w/o using a catalyst, and to about 7 clicks if using 2 catalysts. That's a reduction of about 50-60 percent of the number of clicks needed.
I think we can all agree that would be a HUGE improvement over the current click-fest.
Captain
# 670
07-11-2014, 05:42 PM
We still cannot craft kits or kit modules. This seems like a big category of equipment to be missing from crafting.

Romulan ground weapons and many of the hangars are still missing from the dilithium store. See the threads below.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1148761
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1152311
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1155531

Also, where have you moved Commodity Broker Rek?

Last edited by frtoaster; 07-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.