Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey can anyone let me know if anti-aliasing is available on ATI based cards, or even more specifically Raedeon 3600 series - odd question? here's why -

I was playing in open beta and enjoying STO quite a bit. I'm also a Champions Online player. Got back in town after STO beta ended, and fired CO back up, got a big patch called "Kitchen Sink" they applied over there mid week - and if you're a CO player you know that patch has not been well received for many "things it broke" reasons. Among them - anti-aliasing is no longer available on some cards - it's been disabled as an option. There is plenty of forum discussion speculation that a lot of the issues with that CO patch are related to Cryptic trying to get some common architecture between the two games (which makes perfect sense to me, if they can pull it off well and more efficiently support both, then good on them).

However, right now, I really don't want to buy into a STO subscription if it is going to have similar graphical "crippling" on my card as I have over in CO. The lack of an anti-aliasing option has really reduced the visual quality of that game, and I'd hate to come over here to STO and find out that I'm going boldy where many horrifying graphic jaggies have gone before....

If anyone is running a 3600 series ATI card and can let me know whether the anti-aliasing is available in the STO video options, I'd really appreciate it!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 03:49 PM
AA works fine on ATI cards...right now anyway. Who knows if a future patch may change this.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Use the CCC
01-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Jayhawk
Hey can anyone let me know if anti-aliasing is available on ATI based cards, or even more specifically Raedeon 3600 series - odd question? here's why -

I was playing in open beta and enjoying STO quite a bit. I'm also a Champions Online player. Got back in town after STO beta ended, and fired CO back up, got a big patch called "Kitchen Sink" they applied over there mid week - and if you're a CO player you know that patch has not been well received for many "things it broke" reasons. Among them - anti-aliasing is no longer available on some cards - it's been disabled as an option. There is plenty of forum discussion speculation that a lot of the issues with that CO patch are related to Cryptic trying to get some common architecture between the two games (which makes perfect sense to me, if they can pull it off well and more efficiently support both, then good on them).

However, right now, I really don't want to buy into a STO subscription if it is going to have similar graphical "crippling" on my card as I have over in CO. The lack of an anti-aliasing option has really reduced the visual quality of that game, and I'd hate to come over here to STO and find out that I'm going boldy where many horrifying graphic jaggies have gone before....

If anyone is running a 3600 series ATI card and can let me know whether the anti-aliasing is available in the STO video options, I'd really appreciate it!
Just activate it in the CCC before you open the game. It works fine on my Ati, but I have a HD4670.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
yep works fine...i got a old 1950 pro and it looks very nice and smooth ...well...the last time the server work
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Yup, the only option that does not work on ATI cards is Dynamic Lighting.

AA is good to go.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Oh noes! My pixels are jagged! People are fighting wars and dying, starving in poverty and suffering governmental injustices but by god I WANT MY PIXELS SMOOTH!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post
Oh noes! My pixels are jagged! People are fighting wars and dying, starving in poverty and suffering governmental injustices but by god I WANT MY PIXELS SMOOTH!!!!
Given the overall idiotic nature of the posts on these boards of late you may not win the stupidest post award but congratulations on giving it a red hot go.

On another note on my system (5770 + 9.12).. AA doesnt work if you do it in CCC but works fine in game and dynamic lighting works fine.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 06:19 PM
ATI 5850 (driver 10.1) here, and both Dynamic Lighting and AA works. Although AA was disabled during Open Beta and then enabled at some point via a patch...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I have an ATI Radeon 5850. I had AA enabled in the CCC before they added it into the game. It didnt seem to work. Last night I figured out I could turn on the AA in game. I disabled the CCC AA and turned it on in game. Unfortunately only 2x works well (30-50fps). I have a pretty beefy system and I thought I would be able to go higher. Is this expected or could something be wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebus View Post
I have an ATI Radeon 5850. I had AA enabled in the CCC before they added it into the game. It didnt seem to work. Last night I figured out I could turn on the AA in game. I disabled the CCC AA and turned it on in game. Unfortunately only 2x works well (30-50fps). I have a pretty beefy system and I thought I would be able to go higher. Is this expected or could something be wrong?
I'm running that same card, and have no problem with all my settings maxed out and running ~55 fps @ 1280x1024.