Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
The head start was marketed as a perk to people who bought the game early. This is indeed not a beta anymore and the servers should be able to handle the current load. Why? Because if you think it's bad now, wait until the game goes live to everyone. This isn't going to be pretty come the 2nd.
Lt. Commander
# 22 Servers??
01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
And only the company excuse......

WE DIDN'T THINK THAT SO MANY WOULD PLAY......
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't see how 1 server can support several 100,000 people either. Sure it creates more shards but it still seems overpopulated at times.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm not looking forward to the 2nd...
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Zed, 1 'server' does NOT mean 1 machine.

For example in eq2, I play on Antonia Bayle which is one 'server' world, that server has zones like commonlands or lavastorm and 1 machine could run just one of those zones, what is more there could be 3 instances of that zone if there is more than 50 people in that zone at a time.

So you could end up with 15 different machines (or blades, or whatever not sure what kind of cluster they are working with) under one server.

I'm sure its lode balanced and all but generally the login 'server' is the most likely to be limited in number (I think SOE has one master login server across all games, when it goes down all game login is down, though can still play if you are in-game)

P.S. The message you get down (you cannot log into this server at this time) tells me that they are at least making progress. The login server is up, but some (or all) of the instances and areas is not. In other MMO's there is 3 states of servers I've seen: DOWN, LOCKED, and UP. Seems we've gone from DOWN to LOCKED at least.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSloane
I'm not looking forward to the 2nd...
Same here. This isnt going to get better this is going to get a BUNCH worse before it gets better.

I run the game on a rather large machine with extensive connection logging. The server ip address that the game connects to are pretty scary considering how few there actually are.

Its time to spend some money cryptic and spend it fast if you want the game to have a prayer at growing.

Not complaining as I enjoy the game a bunch when its up. But I do think the people that are saying the people getting to play now before the official date are "lucky to be able to play" and have no right to complain are

A: stupid as dirt.
or
B: on crack.

I paid $300 for lifetime subscription and pre-order.

Part of what I bought gave me access to the open beta which I enjoyed and never complained or felt bad when it was down.

The other part was for the pre-launch play. This part came off my pre-ordering the game. This isnt the same as the open beta access. Between that AND the lifetime subscription I am now getting shafted out of playing time that I have paid for. So I have a RIGHT to complain and a RIGHT to get ticked off from now on if the server is down.

At this point Im not complaining or ticked off. But I do have a RIGHT to be if I wanted to be.

Again this isnt a beta. This is the SAME as the OFFICIAL release date for the people that pre-order and or bought the lifetime subscription. I hate if for you if you feel otherwise but its a fact.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyr View Post
I'm glad its down at the moment, it means I don't have to play with ******* like you. CHILD!
Is that all you have to offer? A one-liner? Nothing constructive? Poor boy.
So why wasting your time with me at all? You are just one of those kids that play the big man within the anonymity of the Internet. I doubt you act like that in your real environment, otherwise you would spend more time in hosptial than at home.

Maybe its time some people here to dismount of their high horse and look beyond their own nose.
The downtimes always hit the main playing times of most europeans. While you have still hours left of the day, its night here. When the servers come back, you can still play while we sleep.

Want to know more funny stuff? While you pay 12 -13 $, they expect from us to pay 12-13 Euro, what equals 16-18 $!
So we pay more for less playtime.
But hey, if thats what you all (some arrogant US kiddies here and the publisher) want, try to survive with a national MMO, just for the US. I doubt that the rest of the world will accept this for a long time.