Lt. Commander
# 41
01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FighterJC
Well Picard became a Borg, then he was liberated and was made a captain again.

Seven of nine was liberated and become a member of Voyager crew.

In First Contact, Data was partially made into a Borg then switched allegiances at the last minute and sided with Picard.

What about all the Borg that where liberated because of Hugh?

It logically follow that as we are in the 25th century even more Borg have been liberated and are now a part of Star Fleet.
Not arguing that there would be liberated borg around, just not particularly convinced there would be loads of them Captaining ships when a conflict with the Borg is likely.

Picard was never fully assimilated and even then when they fought the Borg Starfleet didn't want him anywhere near the fight.

Seven was not a bridge officer, she was kept in astrometrics most of the time. Remember she was unpredictable and caused a lot of problems when certain Borg implants activated. I doubt she would ever have been trusted with a command or a commission.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunami View Post
On that note, Tallen is wrong about wolf 359.

the enterprise was asked to get there ASP

But on Sector 001 battle (first contact) they were ordered to stay away, due to fear over picards sanity when facing the borg again.

Im pretty sure starfleet regulations allow former-borg to be fully reinstated, just not allowed to go fight borg

So, OP, to summarize:

Time of war, they need the officers. starfleet intel probly keeps tabs on them all, and they are probably not supposed to go near the borg.
I'm pretty sure the only relevant thing there was that Picard flunked his psych evaluations where the Borg were concerned. You might also consider what the Enterprise did with Hugh under Picard's command as an "unstable element" too.

If he had an irrational fear/hatred of Cardassians after being tortured, they would have barred him from engaging Cardassians too.

Seven of Nine, meanwhile, was put in charge of combating the Borg in the game's timeline.

So it isn't about what Starfleet does in response to assimilation and not every recovered Borg is unstable. But Picard, personally, was unstable. It was about Picard's PERSONAL mental instability.

And that is pretty much tied into both the specifics of who Picard is AND that he was a "special" Borg who had individuality within the collective.

I don't think we've ever seen a liberated drone experience psychological impairment. Not Seven. Not Chakotay from his stint with a collective. Not Hugh. But Picard did and, as noted, Picard wasn't a drone.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tallen View Post
Not arguing that there would be liberated borg around, just not particularly convinced there would be loads of them Captaining ships when a conflict with the Borg is likely.

Picard was never fully assimilated and even then when they fought the Borg Starfleet didn't want him anywhere near the fight.
Your statement is incorrect. Picard was assimilated, completely, and was renamed Locutus Of Borg.

Quote:
Seven was not a bridge officer, she was kept in astrometrics most of the time.
She was a bridge officer and served on the bridge of the USS Voyager when she wasn't in astrometrics plotting the ships course.[/quote]
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
Your statement is incorrect. Picard was assimilated, completely, and was renamed Locutus Of Borg.

She was a bridge officer and served on the bridge of the USS Voyager when she wasn't in astrometrics plotting the ships course.
[/quote]

The Borg allowed Picard to keep his individuality to serve as Locutus, borg retain no individuality, thats what makes them borg, as such i'd argue, although i guess it's a stretch, he was never fully assimilated. Although physically, yes, he was pretty borgified.

Seven never served as a bridge officer to my knowledge, can't recall a single instance of her serving at one of the main posts. She was certainly never commissioned. Love to know when if she did, i might have missed an episode somewhere
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
She was a bridge officer and served on the bridge of the USS Voyager when she wasn't in astrometrics plotting the ships course.
[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't say she was a bridge officer, per se, but she was definitely given the duties of one when her expertise was of value. For all intents and purposes the same risk is posed, though. She had full access to the bridge and the ability to do a lot of damage.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Well, I wouldn't say she was a bridge officer, per se, but she was definitely given the duties of one when her expertise was of value. For all intents and purposes the same risk is posed, though. She had full access to the bridge and the ability to do a lot of damage.[/quote]

Ok, i'll conced this
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Quote:
The Borg allowed Picard to keep his individuality to serve as Locutus, borg retain no individuality, thats what makes them borg, as such i'd argue, although i guess it's a stretch, he was never fully assimilated. Although physically, yes, he was pretty borgified.
They retain their individuality but it's suppressed by the Collective. A small distinction, but there is one. Technically speaking the Collective should be able to wipe away all of an individual's memories and traits that it finds irrelevant, and yet when Borg are liberated (or as seen in Unimatrix Zero) their individuality, memories, and traits remain.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
There was no indication Starfleet saw liberated Borg, including Picard, as sleeper agents or people whose loyalty was in question. Even if it was, the crew could restrain Picard.

They just thought Picard was mentally unstable and would use poor judgement. The clear implication was that Picard had a blood vendetta against the Borg and would be reckless and get people killed to satisfy his personal desire for revenge.

And he did exactly that. Remember Ensign Lynch? THAT was the concern.