Lt. Commander
# 1 Quick steam question!
01-30-2010, 08:08 AM
So I have to download the patch, and I was patching with steam and its at 45%. Then I wondered if I patched with steam and launched the game with the Cryptic launcher, would the Cryptic one have to patch too. I ask because my Steam patch is at 45% while if I try with Cryptic launcher it has to start from the beginning. So If I try to patch with steam and then launch with the Cryptic one, will it work?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 08:50 AM
shameless bump
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 10:49 AM
This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I have vista 64 bit, and I dont want to download anything, sorry. Someone help
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleigher103 View Post
I have vista 64 bit, and I dont want to download anything, sorry. Someone help
It has worked for hundreds of people so far and it is for vista if you can read. Your stubbornness, your problem.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleigher103 View Post
So I have to download the patch, and I was patching with steam and its at 45%. Then I wondered if I patched with steam and launched the game with the Cryptic launcher, would the Cryptic one have to patch too. I ask because my Steam patch is at 45% while if I try with Cryptic launcher it has to start from the beginning. So If I try to patch with steam and then launch with the Cryptic one, will it work?
45%? Of what? Don't tell me you're one of the ones that got stuck re-downloading the entire 10gig client?

EDIT: Now that I've re-read your post, yes, letting Steam patch finish patching it should work. If you're one of the people affected by the problem that had you stuck re-downloading the client due to Steam stuffing up, you could let it finish then launch it from the Cryptic launcher, I assume.

I'm only going by what I've read in your post though, need more information to confirm my theory.

I'm guessing the program that was posted would recover the old files from System Restore, but no point if you have it disabled or using a version of Windows without it, I'd wager.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
It has worked for hundreds of people so far and it is for vista if you can read. Your stubbornness, your problem.
OP hasn't clarified his situation, no need to copy-paste that other crap before finding out what his specific situation is.

For the record, that program isn't something I'd use myself, and I consider myself experienced with Windows.