Lt. Commander
# 1 STO is basically COH
01-30-2010, 05:05 PM
It just dawned on me, it's all coming together now.

Replace Sector Space with a City, the planets replaced with buildings and remove the space combat and it's COH with St uniforms and weapons, really it actually is.

Cryptic have basically rehashed the COH game and thrown in space combat and released it as STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vision

Replace Sector Space with a City, the planets replaced with buildings and remove the space combat and it's COH with St uniforms and weapons, really it actually is.

Cryptic have basically rehashed the COH game and thrown in space combat and released it as STO.
As a matter of fact, that is true

Really, what did you expect that they would come up with in two years? Its not perfect, but it is playable.
Lt. Commander
# 3 all mmo are the same
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM
its just your preference of mmo that u want to play
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:

Yep same engine and everything... only if I had figured that out before I pre-ordered from Atari.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:

They totally did. How very disappointing. CoH was a very boring and bland game. I fear they are using the exact same formula for STO. Same graphics, sounds, music too. Ugh.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
As a matter of fact, that is true

Really, what did you expect that they would come up with in two years? Its not perfect, but it is playable.
Well call me Mr Silly but I expected a Star Trek game with an engine that would allow me to see ST in the game, not COH.

However I am much wiser than I was 2 weeks ago, so with my new found wisdom I will now expect this of all future Cryptic games and stay well clear of the lot of em.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Yep. They changed what needed to be changed and didn't change what didn't need to be changed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:

Yep it's 1 part Star Trek, 3 Parts COH.

The space travel is just a COH travel power, complete with 45 degree max climb/descent limit lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Tiki
Yep it's 1 part Star Trek, 3 Parts COH.

The space travel is just a COH travel power, complete with 45 degree max climb/descent limit lol
I have to disagree.

Its Champions Online in space not COH.

The COH engine was different.

But point taken.

The problem is devs don't wont to try anything different. They all want to be the last best thing not original.

I must admit eventhough though it is flawed in places STO is still an enjoyable game.

When it is running that is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
You have to hand it to them and am not being funny here but Cryptic have pulled a great number here.

Buy a popular licence (Star Trek)
Rehash old game to look like Star Trek
Try and sell as much of it as possible before people actually play it (this is why you can only buy lifetimes before release, no one in their right mind would buy one after)

This game has totally been done on the cheap and nasty, grab as much $$ in as shot time as possible and then do it again with another licence, they are just a money making machine LOL

But like I said, I have to hand it to them, they really seem to have pulled it off, they will make a nice profit off this, the only losers are the gamers.