Empire Veteran
# 2041
07-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Updated my STO news page theme styler.
Those that have it already can go to the themes page and update to get it working again.

(PWE altered the URL structure a bit)
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Bulwark, Voth Fighter. Favs - Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Bastion, Nicor, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Risian Cruiser
Republic Veteran
# 2042
07-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadme2kirk View Post
Was that before or after they denied this was the case?
Neglecting their steam user-base while focusing purely on Arc does make it seem a little more likely that they might be gearing up for a future competition/business drive. Nothing would be entirely wrong with that but... It'd be nice to see steam lovers.... not get totally ignored in the process.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong in my viewpoint.... as appearances are not always everything. Simply seems that way. Why pay attention to steam when you have arc to work on? Makes sense business wise.
Republic Veteran
# 2043
07-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Deleted....not worth it.
Rake Morgrave - Federation Human
Fade Akira - Federation Reman
Reza Malin - KDF Nausicaan
" Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first and the lessons after..."

Last edited by caldannach; 07-16-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Captain
# 2044
07-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Hello Devs,

Today at 11:26 AM (Server Time) I decided to log and play my game... how ever when I try to launch the game... I got a NASTY anti-virus detection....

I do not know if this is related to ARC or STO client so thought I'd let you know...

Here is a link to a pic:
http://i.imgur.com/Fxyu9df.jpg
AKA "Comrademoco" Join Date: February 20th, 2012
Follow me on: Twitter - Raptr - Arc
Check out my Screenshots at:Imgur
Join the: R&D_Trade Channel
Community Manager at Borg Defiants
Lt. Commander
# 2045
07-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Things you need to know b4 installing ARC:

1. Arc wont quit after exiting the game. The best option is to terminate its process tree in task manager. Otherwise, it will eventually crash other program or the comp due to memory leak.

2. It's a spyware. If you don't mind it collecting your system nfo and web activity, then it's fine.

3. It eats up your bandwidth. ARC is constantly communicated with PWI server. It would congest your network.

I haven't played any pwi game that requires ARC to launch due to all the reasons above. I use my computer heavily for work. I don't like to be spied on whenever it's just a sysinfo or my web activities. Another reason I don't want my computer to be spied on is PWI is a Chinese company. Their regulation about the nfo they collect are questionable. We all know that site like FB/Google collect our data when we login. However, we also know that the privacy law is heavy enforced and advocated unlike China.

I have 64GB RAM on my workstation and have no problem running simulators and other heavily resources demanded apps when I launch STO from its launcher and minimize it when I'm not playing. I only re-launch STO when there is an update. However, if I use ARC, my computer/my apps keep crashing for no reason.

If you want to verify what ARC is sending to PWI server, just use a sniffer and collect data.
Community Moderator
# 2046
07-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix0 View Post
Things you need to know b4 installing ARC:

1. Arc wont quit after exiting the game. The best option is to terminate its process tree in task manager. Otherwise, it will eventually crash other program or the comp due to memory leak.

2. It's a spyware. If you don't mind it collecting your system nfo and web activity, then it's fine.

3. It eats up your bandwidth. ARC is constantly communicated with PWI server. It would congest your network.

I haven't played any pwi game that requires ARC to launch due to all the reasons above. I use my computer heavily for work. I don't like to be spied on whenever it's just a sysinfo or my web activities. Another reason I don't want my computer to be spied on is PWI is a Chinese company. Their regulation about the nfo they collect are questionable. We all know that site like FB/Google collect our data when we login. However, we also know that the privacy law is heavy enforced and advocated unlike China.

I have 64GB RAM on my workstation and have no problem running simulators and other heavily resources demanded apps when I launch STO from its launcher and minimize it when I'm not playing. I only re-launch STO when there is an update. However, if I use ARC, my computer/my apps keep crashing for no reason.

If you want to verify what ARC is sending to PWI server, just use a sniffer and collect data.
I would re read a bit of this thread.

Steam does the same as #1

#2 - It is not spyware that's been proven by multiple people in this thread

#3 - ARC constantly communicates with PWE servers not PWI just like any mmo game. It doesn't congest your network as it barely sends any data.

It doesn't track your web session, your system information is basically like any mmo in existance and while PWI is a chinese company PWE is not and there are limitations to what htey can and cannot collect.

But ya know hey that's just my extreme knowledge and reading of details from a lot of people in this thread.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Lt. Commander
# 2047
07-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post

#3 - ARC constantly communicates with PWE servers not PWI just like any mmo game. It doesn't congest your network as it barely sends any data.

It doesn't track your web session, your system information is basically like any mmo in existance and while PWI is a chinese company PWE is not and there are limitations to what htey can and cannot collect.

But ya know hey that's just my extreme knowledge and reading of details from a lot of people in this thread.
Just run a sniffer and network monitor m8. Don't trust anything you read until you check it out by yourself. Google the subject. People who post on this forum is either pro or con. The sample size is too small. As for steam, it basically do the same thing as ARC. I couldnt say if it would crash the other running apps or comp since I only played FPS and quit after playing. As for network bandwidth, it's all depend on each person internet connection. I did say MAY congest not congest. If a person internet connection had a limit bandwidth, there would be lag when playing. That's certain. Players from US/EU may not suffer but certainly if they're from country where internet connection is bad.

Correction to my previous post: PWI is a game. PWE is the company, Not sure where you get your info from, but everyone know that PWE is a Chinese based company. Not saying that it's bad. Just saying that China doesn't have the same privacy law as the USA or EU. As I posted, if you don't care about ARC collecting your data, then it's fine. ARC is advertising as a game launcher which by definition to launch game. Shouldn't it quit/terminate when no game is played?

It's a weird concept creating a mmo manager. People normally only play one maybe two mmos at a time. No one has time to play multiple mmos. I understand Steam since 99% of its games are arcade/FPS, so the need for one launcher is necessary. Otherwise, there are too many launchers.

How many PWE mmos are you actually playing? I played PWI and Forsaken world but never both at the same time. The mmos I'm playing atm are gw2 and STO. GW2 isn't really an mmo imo. It's more like killing fest for me

Last edited by matrix0; 07-25-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Community Moderator
# 2048
07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix0 View Post
Just run a sniffer and network monitor m8. Don't trust anything you read until you check it out by yourself. Google the subject. People who post on this forum is either pro or con. The sample size is too small. As for steam, it basically do the same thing as ARC. I couldnt say if it would crash the other running apps or comp since I only played FPS and quit after playing. As for network bandwidth, it's all depend on each person internet connection. I did say MAY congest not congest. If a person internet connection had a limit bandwidth, there would be lag when playing. That's certain. Players from US/EU may not suffer but certainly if they're from country where internet connection is bad.

Correction to my previous post: PWI is a game. PWE is the company, Not sure where you get your info from, but everyone know that PWE is a Chinese based company. Not saying that it's bad. Just saying that China doesn't have the same privacy law as the USA or EU. As I posted, if you don't care about ARC collecting your data, then it's fine. ARC is advertising as a game launcher which by definition to launch game. Shouldn't it quit/terminate when no game is played?

It's a weird concept creating a mmo manager. People normally only play one maybe two mmos at a time. No one has time to play multiple mmos. I understand Steam since 99% of its games are arcade/FPS, so the need for one launcher is necessary. Otherwise, there are too many launchers.

How many PWE mmos are you actually playing? I played PWI and Forsaken world but never both at the same time. The mmos I'm playing atm are gw2 and STO. GW2 isn't really an mmo imo. It's more like killing fest for me
Might wanna look at my title again before asking where I get my information from I'm aware of the fact Perfect World is the arm in china, however PWE is a subsidiary of sorts of them but they are also doing their own thing (which apparently includes looking for development type companies to work with their ARC system). And I have run sniffer and network monitors when running ARC and steam. I know what's sent what isn't, and I've also read every last rant, rave, complaint, compliment post to date around here and other places. The connection that ARC uses is so low (probably lower than even reading a line of a text file on a website) that I wouldn't even concern myself with it. Some might, if they're REALLY that hard pressed for bandwidth limitations, but for the majority of the world it won't make that big of a difference.

Ultimately NO DATA goes to China it all goes to PWE's offices located here in California and as such they have to abide by US law. Unless the EU arc client is different and it goes to Amsterdam's offices that I'm not sure of.

ARC, like steam, has an overlay that runs as well once the game is started. It's also used to monitor for hacking/exploiting programs which at that point it for sure has to keep going even after launch, and even allows you (or will I should say) the ability to chat with friends when in game etc.

As for what PWE mmo's do I actually play? Consistently NW, STO, Swordsman, and Champs (though it's been awhile). Have played? All of them

Anyone can take my word or anyone's word for a grain of salt. No one that's convinced this program has spyware and backdoors will ever be happy.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 2049
07-27-2014, 07:24 AM
What can I say here. I use it, because I also play Neverwinter Online. I don't see much performance issues. I have two things.

When I start Arc it ask permission to make changes to my computer, well the software, I suppose, my screen, keyboard always stay the same, but when I want to find out what exactly is changed, well, I stiil have to find out. Do tell us here, or give a link to some information that can be understand by a non-computer pro.

Quitting Arc is another thing. I have to rght-click the icon in the taskbar. Nothing wrong with right-clicking, but as an Apple user, I want to left click, esspecially common commands as quitting. Left clicking the cross-button in the upper right corner, leaves the program 'actif'on the taskbar.
Captain
# 2050
07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Quote:

Belive it or not, there are ppl. like me who don't like steam as well as any other software like it.

Quote:
People saying things doesn't proof anything.
What matter is what ARC really does.
Unless you are a employee of PWE, you can't know for sure.

Quote:
Again, you can't know for sure what kind of data being transmitted.

Quote:

The point is that many people simply don't trust PWE/Cryptic (anymore).
There where too many things gone wrong and too many misinformation in the past.

You and and other ARC pros can praise ARC the as long as you want, it won't change anything. Even if it's not "spyware" in most ppl sense, simply collecting data even if it's some insignificant trash is too much IMO. I don't want any data being collected, no matter who it does or for what reason.
I just can't understand the urge to spy normal people nowadays. Whats going on with those people doing that? Don't they have anything better to do? lol.

STO runs well without it, i see just no reason to install ARC.

Is very simple, just keep everything as it is.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit