Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 121
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidel View Post
I havent moaned about blizzard at all - dear god man read my posts.

The only referance I have made to WOW is their user numbers by region. Keep up please!!!
Let me quote you to you, then:
Quote:
Are you being intentionally dense?

The mmo market has shown time and again across more games than I can find the info for that the american market accounts of ONE QUARTER of subscriptions.

so - they are being nationalisitic about it. And you are just being a troll now.
You're accusing Cryptic of being nationalistic because you believed Europe has a larger subscription percentage than the United States, and you cited World of ******** as an example to support your argument. I provided evidence to debunk you and, by extension, provided evidence that Cryptic isn't being nationalistic; they're acting based on the numbers.

Quote:
And, despite a large amount of europe being very proficent english speakers (thank god because I cant speak any of their languages!) if you told the french or the germans that they are 'English speaking countries' I susspect you would have WW3 starting before you could finish the sentance.
Which would be ironic since they would have had to understand me. I might be wiped out by a nuke, but I'd be grinning all the while.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 122
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Well putting aside the national bashing it still comes down to whatever time they do maintenance someone in the world will be at prime time, it would make more sense for the servers to come down during PST daytime when there will more likely be more Cryptic staff available to work on the servers and patching, the result of that would be most of the EU losing the game for the evening which I am sure you don't want. The current issue that the OP is complaining about is the game being down for a couple of hours around Noon in the EU which only affects those not at work or at school and unless you are a shift worker you still get to play prime time. True some parts of the world will be affected with the current schedule during their prinetime but is the mass debate here from those that play weekdays during the day or the larger population in the EU that can't and wont even notice it ? and I am a Brit currently living in the US so I am not having a dig as I'll be experiencing EU downtime when I return :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 123
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
It doesn't matter where it's marketed. It's primary base is in the United States. You have to play to your base. A majority of subs are from the U.S. This has nothing to do with some nationality superiority complex. Look up Pirates of the Burning Sea. Updates and such are done on Aussie time, because it's primary player base is from Australia, and it's an Australian company.

I think you are the only one who is the narcissist here.
are you sure about these ? most of the EU pre order sellers gone out of stock and most of us ordered through steam....

And world vs US hmmm are you kidding me ? Forget about Europe but also asia, australia etc. (I know most of the US guys belive that we are linivg in caves tent etc at asia and eastern europe but guess what. We are not!)

And for the burning see, last time I check there was 5-10 people per server still playing....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 124
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godbeing
It's an internet game, marketed world wide.... internet goes further then just the US. Their base is the world, the US is only a small part of that.
really SMALL part
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 125
01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
Let me quote you to you, then:


You're accusing Cryptic of being nationalistic because you believed Europe has a larger subscription percentage than the United States, and you cited World of ******** as an example to support your argument. I provided evidence to debunk you and, by extension, provided evidence that Cryptic isn't being nationalistic; they're acting based on the numbers..
WHAT???

You accused me of whining about blizzard.

Which I havent.

Please explain what you are saying ive said now, because ive lost track.

You havent produced evidence of anything - quite the contrary. So - please try again.

All Ive said is that MMOs have about 1/4 of their user base in the USA/north america, 1/4 of their user base in europe and 1/2 their user base elsewhere.

Therefore, pandering to the American market is NOT a good way to go because you alienate 3/4 of your user base.

The only way you can prove me wrong is to show me figures from STO which says 3/4 of the subscriber base is American - which isnt going to happen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 126
01-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
I agree to that, but what Im saying the past four posts is that the downtime determination was not made on actual player base at this point, but more on default custom to do maintenance during the most convience time for US players.
You're just wrong about this, totally wrong. They've had hundreds of thousands of people around the world in beta. They know what their player base looks like already, and they don't care WHERE the people are from, they only care how MANY of them there are at given times. I know you like to think that your own personal favorite time to play is everybody's favorite time, but it's simply not true. Star Trek fandom skews older than most games, and the average MMO player is much older than the average gamer anyway. Most of the people playing this game have jobs. Most people with jobs don't log on during the early afternoon.

Quote:
They perform their communication in PST time SINCE DAY ONE, even before closed beta, if you aim at servicing all regions you communicate in GMT time, period.
You think this because you're in Belgium. EU companies communicate in GMT, because half their customer base is either in GMT or GMT+1. American companies tend to communicate in their own time zone, and offer GMT information secondarily if at all, because the majority of their customer base has never needed to know what "GMT" is in their lives. You should have seen the chaos in the IRC channels when we tried doing times in GMT only; it was a constant flood of questions "what is that in my town's time?"

But none of this has ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the downtimes decisions, which are 100% solely based on concurrency numbers. Period. There's no conspiracy here; it's simply a matter of reading the logs and seeing when the fewest people play.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 AM.