Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,438
# 51
07-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
So, if Al, or Cryptic/PWE in general are responsible for providing a written transcript, what about some STO fan that only speaks Swedish? Are we also responsible for translating the entire interview into Swedish? Hindi? Tagalog? There could be a deaf and blind person out there that still wants the information. Are we responsible for providing an ASL translator to go to their house and translate the interview?
Sorry Taco, but this is a strawman argument.

You're conflating basic accessibility with obscure languages.

One could make the same argument as you have about wheelchair ramps.

I mean, if we have to make our building accessible to those in wheelchairs, where does it end? Do we have to make provision for brains in jars?

Thats the argument you just made.


Quote:
I'm also not trying to put this onto P1. I think the demand of a transcript is unreasonable. I think it would be nice, I think it would be great if they could do it, but I don't think we can demand that they do. As Elijah has said, they would be more than happy to have someone help them in this regard. He's going to investigate the use of technology for this.

In the mean time, there are more than a few people in this thread who are NOT hard of hearing, and would be perfectly capable of doing the transcription work. Why are you not volunteering? For that matter, I am capable of doing the work. Why am I not volunteering? Because I have a full time job, and the free time that I do have, I don't feel like spending transcribing audio interviews. I'm sorry if that makes me a terrible person, but I would guess I am not alone in this regard.

And all this would be valid if the P1 stuff was supplementary to a basic information service on the official forum.

Problem is, that basic information is not coming to the forum.

We still dont have an announcement here regarding 9.5 on thursday.

If the decision has been made to use third parties such as P1 to be the primary source to disseminate your information then you can't just hide behind their volunteer status.

You've made them official.
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,046
# 52
07-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkster View Post
Sorry Taco, but this is a strawman argument.

You're conflating basic accessibility with obscure languages.

One could make the same argument as you have about wheelchair ramps.

I mean, if we have to make our building accessible to those in wheelchairs, where does it end? Do we have to make provision for brains in jars?

Thats the argument you just made.


No it's not. Brains in Jars are not things that exist in the world. People speaking Swedish are.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy



Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,892
# 53
07-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No it's not. Brains in Jars are not things that exist in the world. People speaking Swedish are.
There's quite a few brains being deposited in jars around the world...

Nonetheless, the main point of arguing is the lack of official communication from Cryptic/PWE. As great as you Taco are on the forums, you can't reveal much if anything. You don't necessarily know about things and you certainly can't be asked (by us forumgoers) to write explanatory/additional/needed blogs in here.

If official information is given in podcasts, twitter, facebook, other sites, whatever... Smirk and Trendy (on behalf of Cryptic/PWE) should make sure the information is as widespread as possible and that should definitely include this forum (and transcripts would go a long way in that, btw).

Since that's not the case, misinformation spreads and you may get undeserved flak for whatever is revealed in said podcast/social site/... Then you logically stop revealing anything and the whole thing looses any meaning.



Now I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but isn't the spread of information (from devs to players, from players to devs, from this game outward ...) the job of Trendy and Smirk? I believe they should be able to do more. More blogs (Summer event was severely lacking in detailed info), more of that relaying of information. It almost seems Branflakes managed more alone than these two CMs.

Seriously, Smirk and trendy, (wo)man up!
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 564
# 54
07-16-2014, 09:20 AM
I volunteer my services to write up all the blogs. Just send the official information this way and I'll make sure it gets out there.


See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,438
# 55
07-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No it's not. Brains in Jars are not things that exist in the world. People speaking Swedish are.
Well, I admit I can be as guilty of hyperbole as the next entity.

However, the point is you have used a slippery slope argument to argue against providing written transcripts of what is becoming the primary source of information to the players.

My admittedly hyperbolic argument was merely a somewhat absurd version of your same argument.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,553
# 56
07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
It's not a slippery slope or a straw man or anything.

It's not Cryptic's responsibility to publish the interview in any form, it's Priority One's. People have been asking Priority One to provide transcripts forever, and they've declined, at least once even giving reasons. That's not Cryptic's fault.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,438
# 57
07-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It's not a slippery slope or a straw man or anything.

It's not Cryptic's responsibility to publish the interview in any form, it's Priority One's. People have been asking Priority One to provide transcripts forever, and they've declined, at least once even giving reasons. That's not Cryptic's fault.
However, if Cryptic are moving away from using the fora to disseminate information about the game and towards things like P1, doesn't that change the equation?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,955
# 58
07-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No it's not. Brains in Jars are not things that exist in the world. People speaking Swedish are.
I dunno. Have you ever actually seen a Swedish-speaking person?

I thought not.
You're right. The work here is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,628
# 59
07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No it's not. Brains in Jars are not things that exist in the world. People speaking Swedish are.
I am 'farid so ... you see STO is only available in a few languages, if I recall its English, French and German and not Swedish.

Using your analogy why bother with access ramps then because at one point heads in jar will need access ... see were I am going?

Fact is since our previous CM left communication got worst, I understand our two CMs are apparently "buy" but certainly doesnt seem they are buy with STO from were I stand and as I understand neither are exclusively CM for STO, unlike our previous CM that as far I can tell was.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,385
# 60
07-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
So, if Al, or Cryptic/PWE in general are responsible for providing a written transcript, what about some STO fan that only speaks Swedish? Are we also responsible for translating the entire interview into Swedish? Hindi? Tagalog? There could be a deaf and blind person out there that still wants the information. Are we responsible for providing an ASL translator to go to their house and translate the interview?
The problem with your examples is there are numerous resources out there already for translating foreign language. Google Translate (while usually never optimal), can have entire webpages translated in a loose approximation of a foreign language in a few seconds.

There are no such services for podcasts or other audio-only media that can be translated on-the-fly.

And if your company is running a computer game where you have (in the past) added functionality support for the hearing impaired, then yes, it does inevitably fall in your lap. I need only mention the Breen FE with the musical notes in order to progress in the mission -- which eventually had text annotations added to it.

Not to mention the foreign language translations of STO (which do get updated on a fairly regular basis).

If STO takes an active interest in making the game more accessible from a development perspective, but then refuses to accomodate that same accessibility from an information standpoint, it sends mixed signals.

At best.

Quote:
In the mean time, there are more than a few people in this thread who are NOT hard of hearing, and would be perfectly capable of doing the transcription work. Why are you not volunteering? For that matter, I am capable of doing the work. Why am I not volunteering? Because I have a full time job, and the free time that I do have, I don't feel like spending transcribing audio interviews. I'm sorry if that makes me a terrible person, but I would guess I am not alone in this regard.
Should it be the responsibility of the players to provide information of the game to other players? Isn't that what marketing is for? I don't know about you, but I see a lot of players distributing the wrong information even without the agenda of informing those without fully functional ears.

I mean you have people on payroll who get paid to figure out what information gets released and when. You have writers who clock in every day whose job it is to write information for us to read.

I am suggesting that this job should include some type of accomodations for the hearing impaired, those without sound cards or speakers, or any other multitude of issue that would prevent them from receiving information.

And I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting that.

I don't think it makes you a terrible person, either. Everyone at PWE and Cryptic has a job they get paid to do.

I would say it would make you a terrible person if you expected the STO playerbase to do environmental art assets for you and your team, and if they don't -- then it's their fault STO has no new environmental art. But you don't do that.

Quote:
Well, when we revealed things in Podcasts, we got crap for it.
To be fair, you get crap no matter what you do or do not reveal.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 07-16-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 AM.