Career Officer
# 101
07-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
And if they did, I'd be fine with that too. I don't mind giving P1 pageclicks as long as those pageclicks end up somewhere I want to be.
My point is, though, that responsibility falls to P1, not Cryptic.

Quote:
The Massively interview articles are usually conducted in text, or transcribed into text.
Yes, but my point is, Cryptic doesn't host the article by republishing it on their website. Transcribing a P1 interview and posting it here would be essentially playing host to P1. Why, then, would they need their own website? Those aren't cheap.

Quote:
Again, from where I'm sitting... asking them to step down has the same exact result as not transcribing at all.

In both scenarios, I'm not receiving any communication.

I'm not saying they should step down. I like the idea of P1, and I respect the work they do. But for those of us with hearing impairments, there is absolutely no difference between them talking and conducting interviews, and not talking at all.
And I get that. But obviously, that's a failing on P1. They aren't marketing to you and that audience.

Quote:
I have, and P1 has been very diplomatic about the situation. But the root of the problem isn't with P1. P1 is a symptom of an even greater problem with communication at PWE/Cryptic.
I meant take Cryptic to task with their own video/audio clips without transcripts. THOSE they have control over, not those of P1.

Quote:
Yes, it is their responsibility. As much as it's their responsibility to provide dev blogs, press releases, and everything else relating to their job of releasing public information.

They put themselves into this position. I wish they didn't. But they did. If this is how they are going to release information, then they don't get to wash their hands of any responsibility when not all of their players can consume that information.
No, their responsibility lies with their own publications and how they choose to get those out to the masses. If they fail to provide a transcript for their YouTube video, that's on them. If they fail to translate their Dev Blogs into another language for wider distribution, that's on them. The responsibility of the dissemination and publication (in all its forms) of information lies with the interviewer/publisher not the interviewee. They cannot tell the third party how to go about their business. Nor can they be held responsible if the third party chooses to report misinformation.

Quote:
If I have my choice of a canned interview, and true journalism where hard questions are asked -- but not everybody can hear the answers (literally), then I'm going to go with the canned interview.

It sucks. But it's the only fair choice.

What's important is it doesn't have to be a one-or-the-other choice.
No, it's not fair at all. That's a false argument.

But the point is, can you be accommodated? Yes, we know you can be.
Is it Cryptic's responsibility to do so where third parties are concerned? No, it is not.
Is it the responsibility of the third party then? Yes, it is.
Is the third party willing and able to accommodate? Well...?

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Survivor of Romulus
# 102
07-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I think we'll need to agree to disagree. I agree with many of your points, but without results on one end of the communication, then I go to the other.

And if I want to solve a problem, I want to permanently solve it. If P1 and their experience with this annotation software goes somewhere productive? Awesome.

But that's a symptom solved, not the problem that caused the symptom to begin with. That's best-case scenario.

There are still going to be problems with communications from PWE/Cryptic. Whether it be the reddit forums, twitter, facebook, or what have you. More symptoms of a greater problem than just P1.

If I have to address it symptom-by-symptom, as I've been doing, I will. But if given the choice, I want to get to the root of the problem.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
# 103
07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by altechachan View Post
Then, Iconian, I feel that this issue is less about a transcript being provided and more that an official announcement Dev Blog wasn't made that repeated what was said in the podcast, immediately after said podcast.

Ideally, I think this is what you wanted:
  1. PR: Okay, you're going to have a podcast. Here are things you can talk about because we'll release a Dev Blog on it within 48 hours of the podcast going up.
  2. :: Podcast is done and posted by the podcasters ::
  3. <48 hours later (ideally 24 hours)
  4. Official Dev Blog posted (written a week before the podcast) about the stuff the interviewee was allowed to talk about in the podcast
Correct. It has less to do with transcripts and more to do with how PWE/Cryptic releases public information.

If the dev blog (or whatever form the information takes in a text format) details everything mentioned by a developer interview from third-party media, then yes, my complaints will have been resolved.

What you propose is a solution I would consider viable.
Do you know how logical and helpful that would be?

If Cryptic were to release a blog with keynotes, I think they could use it to address everyone's concerns. Cryptic does not have to transcribe an entire interview.

While I do not need to know about a developer's favorite color, I would like to know about upcoming seasons, upgrades, and expansions.

Last edited by venkou; 07-16-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Career Officer
# 104
07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Quote:
I think we'll need to agree to disagree. I agree with many of your points, but without results on one end of the communication, then I go to the other.

And if I want to solve a problem, I want to permanently solve it. If P1 and their experience with this annotation software goes somewhere productive? Awesome.

But that's a symptom solved, not the problem that caused the symptom to begin with. That's best-case scenario.

There are still going to be problems with communications from PWE/Cryptic. Whether it be the reddit forums, twitter, facebook, or what have you. More symptoms of a greater problem than just P1.

If I have to address it symptom-by-symptom, as I've been doing, I will. But if given the choice, I want to get to the root of the problem.
I certainly wish you luck.

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Republic Veteran
# 105
07-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No it's not. Brains in Jars are not things that exist in the world. People speaking Swedish are.
But do you translate all of your posts answering questions into all languages?

No. Your responses are (unless I'm not aware of some other section of the forums) in English.

If you can inexpensively translate transcripts into the other languages that the game is written in (I believe it's just French and German, right?), then have at it. If not, the forums are mostly in English, so that's what we get.

After all, the languages that the game is written in are the ones that matter for this context, right? Would someone who can't understand any of the text in the game really be reading the transcript of a podcast about the game that he or she can't effectively play?
Captain
# 106
07-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post

[...]

Well, when we revealed things in Podcasts, we got crap for it.
I can completely understand the reason behind it, especially when, after mentioning something you'd "like to do" or are "thinking about" gets turned around into "but you promised to do that in that one podcast!!11!!".

It's just that for me, without that kind of information, the podcast has lost it's main reason why I'd listen to something like that.

1.5 hours of chit-chat with a bit of advertisement, moderators asking their listeners for money for a field trip, combined with no information and no critical/investigative questions might be something others might continue to enjoy, but it isn't for me anymore.
Career Officer
# 107 Interesting reading
07-22-2014, 01:49 AM
There were some interesting points in this thread. I wonder why i have not been on these forums in a while. Guess I should start again.
Livestream | STOkedradio.net
Facebook | STOked Radio
Youtube | STOked Radio
Twitter | @STOkedRadio