Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalief
Its not so much the crashes, its the frequency of them. How many times is this today alone? 5? I expect it to be rough at the beginning, but this has been an issue since the server has had a load on it and its not like the dev's didn't know about it beforehand. I hope they can get it together and get this game stable, I do enjoy it, I would just like to play it.
In all likelihood it will crash more frequently when the game opens up to everyone Feb. 2nd. It's hard to predict what issues will pop up as server load increases. All you can do is deal with it as it happens. I guarantee you there is a team at Cryptic scrambling to get this taken care of right now. I believe they will get this game stable, it just won't happen overnight.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
This is the launch of a brand new MMO. Crashes happen. It's the nature of the beast. Why would the launch of STO be any different? Expecting a crash-free gaming experience here at the beginning is not realistic.
IF MMO's where a new thing, and IF they did not already know how big the fan base for Star Trek is. Then I MIGHT believe this. However, MMORPG games are NOT new. Cryptic has done multiple MMORPG games and should know by now how to launch one. Also this is NOT a new game engine, which means the server software and hardware requirements should already be known.

I do not think these arguements will hold much weight for most players and I know they are not going to hold much weight for reviewers of the game.

"No MMO launches without server crashes.." Really, and as customers we are supposed to accept this? Why?

"It's still beta.." Really? I did not think I was playing beta code. I did not get to keep my beta character, and I did have a complete character wipe and restart. Thought this was supposed to be the release game.

"It's not even release yet man.." Umm, yes it is.. The fact that you call it head start does not make it any less so.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 10:54 PM
There's probably more people playing now than in OB and even more in release. People are just impatient.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RORWESSELS View Post
IF MMO's where a new thing, and IF they did not already know how big the fan base for Star Trek is. Then I MIGHT believe this. However, MMORPG games are NOT new. Cryptic has done multiple MMORPG games and should know by now how to launch one. Also this is NOT a new game engine, which means the server software and hardware requirements should already be known.

I do not think these arguements will hold much weight for most players and I know they are not going to hold much weight for reviewers of the game.

"No MMO launches without server crashes.." Really, and as customers we are supposed to accept this? Why?

"It's still beta.." Really? I did not think I was playing beta code. I did not get to keep my beta character, and I did have a complete character wipe and restart. Thought this was supposed to be the release game.

"It's not even release yet man.." Umm, yes it is.. The fact that you call it head start does not make it any less so.
No really...this is not new, nor out of the ordinary, welcome to MMO play...
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
We wish and want it to be perfect, but it is not will not ever be that. With time and lovin it might come close some day. Be Patient.
Lt. Commander
# 16
I agree, it is going to have problems, being that it's a new game and all. I think the frustration lies in the fact that it's past beta testing now. A lot of the issues and crashes seem to be a lack of foresight rather than your typical MMO launch problems. It almost feels like the game should not be pushed live quite yet. Let the open beta continue, stress the servers some more and iron out a few more kinks. I would not complain if they pushed live back another month, I've waited this long after all. This game has the potential to be awesome, and the players that decide not to go forward with playing b/c of a rocky start are certainly not going to break the bank by any means, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RORWESSELS View Post

Umm... because no MMO launches without server crashes? Lol, take it easy and let them do their job. They'll get it sorted out in time.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonboozenklaus View Post
I agree, it is going to have problems, being that it's a new game and all. I think the frustration lies in the fact that it's past beta testing now. A lot of the issues and crashes seem to be a lack of foresight rather than your typical MMO launch problems. It almost feels like the game should not be pushed live quite yet. Let the open beta continue, stress the servers some more and iron out a few more kinks. I would not complain if they pushed live back another month, I've waited this long after all. This game has the potential to be awesome, and the players that decide not to go forward with playing b/c of a rocky start are certainly not going to break the bank by any means, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
It was known that the game is not ready for launch, but they had a headline and it was not allowed to be pushed back. Other MMOs have had the same problem and had to launch anyway. (SWG comes to mind.) All we can do is keep going.
Lt. Commander
# 19 Proven Servers?
Why people are upset is because they pre-ordered a game that is due to go public in just a few days and is crashing. It's the nature of the beast that people complain when they feel they are not getting what they paid for.

Didnt Cryptic boast that this game was being run on a proven engine used by City of Heroes and City of Villians?

My two cents. We are all human and some are bound to get more frustrated than others when things don't go their way
Lt. Commander
# 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticgamer View Post
I can only guess immature or new people to MMOs would be upset, anyone else should be used to this or able to cope with it.
And I can only expect people who are either paying with mommie's or daddy's money and don't care or those who just don't have enough self-respect to expect to a quality product would not be upset at this fiasco!