Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Its obvious there isn't really any backup servers in place to minimise downtime. Heck, probably isn't any backup in place period so each time there's a problem just simply 'flipping a switch' isn't going to solve the problem, they have to track the problem down, fix it and then reboot the servers. Checking logs takes a damn long time.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I can think of the PC Gamer headline now:

Boldly going delayed due to technical difficulties...
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Maybe if the folks at cryptic got their heads out of their ***** and read these posts, maybe STO would actually work and not crash. Maybe they would keep their promises of bringing more servers online. Oh wait, they don't read the forums and they don't care. Obviously losing players is more important to Cryptic than keeping players.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
..not to contradict you, but i am going to contradict you.

I've been playing as much as possible since the head start began yesterday, and i'm here to tell you that the game has been online. Everyone enters panic mode when the servers go down unexpectedly. It will be fine. Relax.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
You mean their 486s just aren't going to cut it? Blasphemy!

Seriously, however, I want to know why it takes ages to bring the servers BACK on line. What is the boot time and app/database launch time on these things?
The Hamsters are dieing faster than they can be replaced.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philroe View Post
Hahaha in your dreams pal.
Okay, so a million is pushing it. But it'll definately be more than 100,000 people. Age of Conan launched with close to 300,000 people, and that number rose to roughly 1 million about a month into it....2 months later there was a mass exodus because of all the promises broken.

Now, Star Trek is just as big and hyped as Conan was so expect similar numbers. I expect, and I mean this - Feb 2nd, I would not be surprised if there is at least 150k-250k people online or trying to get access to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Cryptic better be careful. I remember one MMORPG that launched so badly, the company had to bring all their spare hardware online in the first week. Login queues numbered in the thousands, lag was atrocious, entire zones would rubberband to death. You'd be wandering around a zone, and everything would just start disappearing, until finally you were left with empty countryside followed by a "server disconnect" message.

Was horrible.

Just think how successful World of ******** could have been without all those launch problems.

As I understand it, as heavily instanced as things are, they can easily expand the "server" capacity by adding more nodes to support more instances. The login server, however, seems to be killing them.

And just to be pedantic, even the "login server" is almost certainly a large cluster of computers.

They'll sort it out fairly quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Having dabbled in WoW, and having played in City of heroes for several years now, I am well aware of problematic games, and the time it takes to deal with them, but the fact that Cryptic is trying to launch this with a single server, no matter how capable and quick it might be, seems unthinkable to me.

It seems to me that simply looking at how other games operate would give you plenty of warning! There have been times when CoH has been glutted, with every server filled to bursting because of events or promotions, and they have eleven seperate servers to chose from. With only one, it feels like Cryptic is trying to kill it before it starts.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Captain We Have A Fire In The Server Room!
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, I have to say that I am a little disappointed too. But I still believe, that Cryptic will handle this (pray pray pray ). There are about 30K people online 24-7 playing EVE (daily downtime excluded of course) and there are no problems. Hope STO will adapt. I will stay (got lifetime subscription ).