Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULUFAN View Post
Funny, that was 6 yrs ago. You think Cryptic would do their homework.
No, YOU think that. I know better, sir.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 11:34 PM
How long does it take...

To get some sommunication from the devs?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Its not how difficult it is, it has more to do with how much the kid they are paying minimum wage cares and is thinking "Hey maybe I should go over and flip that switch.".

Seriously though, server and tool reboots on multi-million dollar semiconductor tools don't take this long. If it took this long, someone would be getting fired...
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Night crew at the server farm probably watching some ST shows on the TV in the lounge while having pizza and soda and can't hear all the alarms or phones ringing in the monitoring room
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I think they lost the wind up key.........
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 11:37 PM
takes about

this long
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecanis View Post
How long does it take...

To get some sommunication from the devs?
Depends what you mean by "devs". Programmers are busy programming. System engineers are busy engineering. Support personnel are probably handling angry phone calls and emails.

A statement like this would either come from the support staff or from the marketing people. The marketing people are probably home in bed. The support staff... I donno. Maybe there's nobody in that group authorized to make RFO statements, or they haven't been well-enough informed by the programmers/engineers what the cause is. And that's assuming it's a cause they're willing to make publicly known.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfury View Post
Its not how difficult it is, it has more to do with how much the stoner kid they are paying minimum wage for weekend graveyard cover cares and is thinking "Hey maybe I should go over and flip that switch.... what do you think, Sasquatch? Or should I go fix the snacky machine? Yes, the SNACKY MACHINE! Must have cheezits. And Ringdings. AND 3D DORITOS! YES! CRUNCHYMUNCHYMUNCHY!

*fades off in hysterical laughter*

...say, you look like Neil Patrick Harris under all that fur. Anyone ever told you that?
!"
Edited for truth and greater experience in dealing with weekend support.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
The idea isn't to just bring us back up and allow the same issue to repeat itself. Most of the time when the server comes back up, we all get a new little bit of code on our ends. Even if we didn't, we don't always really have to for them to change something on their end. This isn't a MUD where you can just run it until it crashes and then reboot. The idea is that with every crash Cryptic is learning something new, a new way to crash the system can provide you with a wealth of information. The problem is, without a server loaded to epic proportions many of these crashes would likely not happen at all. There's no real way to test certain bits until you get some real world numbers. There was no way they could have known that we would defy industry standard conventions for the number of people in the beta, or during headstart.

What people who actually enjoy this game should take away from this is that while it's a pain now, it's a good thing in the long run. Even after we lose all the QQ and filter the community down to more pew-pew, we're likely to have a very substantial player base. And by April, when many of the one month folks are gone, we could very well have one of the largest subscriber bases of any new MMO. Personally, I imagine that a great many of the people who get into this game will keep playing it, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial player retention rate set some records.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmun
Have you ever rebooted an exchange box ...?
Oh my god, yes I have! I have a lab exchange server in one of my classes, and it can be BRUTAL.

We're doing a SMS server too, and sometimes even that one can take its sweet time to update/refresh/populate/whatever from SQL. Then other times will be instant. Depends on it's mood.

Clearly what ever server set up STO is using is in a bad mood today, haha.