Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Career Officer
# 11
07-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
In the old days I remember the Devs posting a lot more than they do now. Sometimes they posted stuff that we liked, sometimes they posted stuff that we didn't, but their presence was felt, especially around releases, be they major or minor releases.

I appreciated that. It felt like they cared. When they posted on threads regarding things that were outright broken THAT'S when their posts really mattered. It let us know that they're aware of the issue and they're working on it. To me, knowing they were on to it made me feel like a fix was only around the corner.

These days I never see Devs post, nor do I see them in game. To me, this is a really bad thing. To my mind it shows that the Devs are separating themselves from the player base. To my mind it encourages an us vs them mentality that can't be good for the game, no matter how you slice it.

These days we see more posts by the moderators. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the job that these people do. It's thankless and time consuming but they power on. (Thank you, moderators, in case nobody has thanked you yet.) That being said, there are some things that the moderators are unable to do, like comment on issues and glitches and releases.

Devs, you really need to start interacting with the player base more. You don't have to be in every thread, posting with a little more regularity would make your presence feel known and let us feel like we're being heard. When something makes the game unplayable for any section of the player base then that should MANDATE a post.

Adding (INVESTIGATING) to the title of threads? I'm sorry, that's slackness that tells us nothing. You could be INVESTIGATING something for a year for all we know.

I won't be playing the game for a while now. Not because I'm upset or pi$$ed off, but rather the Mac resolution issue that is being (INVESTIGATING) makes the game unplayable. How long will I be unable to play for? Who knows. The moderators can't help, other people in the forums can't help, only the devs can. A single dev comment could set everyone's minds at ease. Until then I can only imagine how long that will be.
This bug is annoying, for sure... as a fellow Mac user, I feel your pain. And I am more frustrated with the lack of stereo sound in the Mac client. It's things like this that really makes Mac users feel like second-class citizens in the gaming world... which shouldn't be the case.

I can still play the game on my Mac, mind you... even with jacked up resolution and no stereo sound. I do this, however, because I want to play the game... and, I believe that "sitting out" will do absolutely nothing to convince the mothership to do something about it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-18-2014, 10:15 AM
How about the devs explain how the F--- the f---ing new RND system resets all the points I had before?
Captain
# 13
07-18-2014, 10:19 AM
To more easily explain the answer to the OP... I am going to quote the actual devs, on something that very very very true...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Well, if we're just talking in wishes. . .

I miss the days where we could talk about what we were working on. Where we could slip out sneak peek images now and then, etc. Unfortunately, that all leads to 'You Promised!' land, which is no fun for anyone.
AKA "Comrademoco" Join Date: February 20th, 2012
Follow me on: Twitter - Raptr - Arc
Check out my Screenshots at:Imgur
Join the: R&D_Trade Channel
Community Manager at Borg Defiants
Career Officer
# 14
07-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Na, I do think PWE had something to do with this. As soon as they took over, the number of Dev Posts dropped significantly. But really there other factors in their lack of posting.
  • Forum Anger and their sensitivity to negative feedback.
  • Their work schedule.
  • Their word is taken at value and leads to false promises and false expectations.
  • Moving to media to hype content.

And I'm sure there is more to add, but this is at the top of my head. But pretty much it's not entirely the community's fault, its more of they can't. Though, I really do think they should mingle more with the commoners, they are indeed losing touch. For instance, they know what we want, but they aren't understanding how we want the wants.

For an example, we wanted the Dyson Sphere and we wanted Territorial Control, so they combined the two and turned it into the Battlezone (which to me is nothing but an overgrown Capture and Hold, and gets old fast). And we wanted the Delta Quadrant, and now we are going into the Delta Quadrant (far earlier than Q said we would be). But how they implement the DQ is yet to be revealed. Though I don't think it's going to be what we expected. <cough> tiny box <cough>.
Captain
# 15
07-18-2014, 10:40 AM
It's not really surprising they don't post much considering how vindictive posters can be to them.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Empire Veteran
# 16
07-18-2014, 12:37 PM
a likely story hey.
i reckon people simply prefer to dodge any sort of public accountability. its easy to avoid having your feet held to the fire if you simply never log in.
free jkname
HouseOfBeautiful.org | /channel_join House of Beautiful
free t5 access for all!! | /channel_join NoP Public Service
Republic Veteran
# 17
07-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivannanuke View Post
How about the devs explain how the F--- the f---ing new RND system resets all the points I had before?
And it's these types of posts that make the dev's not want to post.

Anyway, they said already tat they didnt just upgrade crafting, they wiped the board clean and started the new system FROM SCRATCH, meaning there was no way to "port over" the progress from the old system.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lieutenant
# 18
07-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
I don't think any dev in any game thinks that everything they do will be greeted with open arms. That said, there are times you gotta do the hard thing because you know the plans that the players don't and take the heat because of it.

That isn't the issue. The problem that comes is there are some that just instantly go after any dev posting numerous questions, hating on them for xyz and non stop badgering them. Yes, my fellow mods and myself can step in and stop it (and if necessary Trevor can ban people) but if it's a continuous thing...would you come back?
So because my customers are angry I stop talking with them? Great idea, really. We're not in kindergarden here, dev's get paid, dev's make all decisions so they have to take the heat, that's part of the job.
So you're a native speaker and I'm not. So what?
Republic Veteran
# 19
07-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papercliprider View Post
So because my customers are angry I stop talking with them? Great idea, really. We're not in kindergarden here, dev's get paid, dev's make all decisions so they have to take the heat, that's part of the job.
actually, its no where in the Dev's job description that they even HAVE to post on the forums. the community team, (mods, trendy, smirk) are really the only ones who HAVE to show up here at all. they can try to get answers from the devs. but doesnt mean they are forced to answer to every single post asking a dev about something.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 20
07-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papercliprider View Post
Communicating with the players via the forums is not part of the job of most of the people there. For others it varies from posting patch notes to stating that something is under investigation.

And it doesn't help a lot of players are screaming that somebody should be fired. It has got to be discouraging and disheartening. Just for morale's sake, I'd probably avoid the forums and just do what I'm being paid to do, by people who tell me what they want done.
Closed Thread