Lt. Commander
# 1 How soon we forget
01-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Launch woes...

Everquest, do not know
Wow - 2hour waits in the quest to get logged in...
SWG virtually NONE of the crafting systems and some of the combat classes were not working at launch
COH- decent start little laggy
Shadowrealms - TOTAL gme change between beta and launch
Champions on line-became Getting mugged online at launch
EQ2 fair enough except that crafting a sandwhich could kill you and walking through the city took as much time as doing quests

but if we had multiple server at least more than one might be up....just have the toons mirrored on the other serers, have a back up server ready to go when the main box dies
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 12:00 AM
All these kids using WoW as the grand example of an MMO launch should remember that no on expected WoW to be the phenomenon it became, and that its launch was AWFUL. Just because launches are usually terrible lately doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more. **** and LoTRO both worked at launch off the top of my head, and I don't recall SWGs launch as being particularily problematic but that could be because I was mostly playing off peak times.
Still, Two hour waits? I think you forgot a ten, sir.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I do not mind there being some initial problems.

What I mind is that it takes FOREVER to get things back up and running (this can NOT be the fastest they can bring these systems back up), and the near total blackout of information from within Cryptic.

Just give us some communication, such as, "The servers will take extra time to come back on line because we are patching them with some code which we hope will resolve our ongoing issues."

Is that too much to ask?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Most of what you listed are functional glitches... Those to me are forgivable...even months of beta testing doesn't catch things that only a million simultaneous users will...

I don't dig WoW but I heard about the launch troubles...but that was a relatively long time back in MMO history, and Blizzard was doing it solo without the support of mega MMO's machines...

My problem isn't that there are issues...It's that there are fundamental issues with the game's architecture... This was heavily scrutinized in beta... and they said they were bolstering the infrastructure back then...

This is a fundamental breakdown of the entire game....repeatedly...in production... the whole thing...dead...

That's why it's different than broken mechanics...bugs... and even controlled access... It's no access...for anyone...

They have to stop duct taping the thing ....make the sacrifice and bolster the entire infrastructure... with a redundant set of servers if necessary... It's not going to get any easier than it will be now...In fact it will probably get harder...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
I remember the LotRO launch being pretty much flawless.

WoW was a nightmare for the first couple weeks...

I don't expect a MMO to be 100% working on launch, but STO has some pretty bad issues that I think quite frankly should never have made it past closed beta. I honestly think the spawning as the ship on away missions/spawning as player in space would still be in the game if someone hadn't found a dupe exploit tied to it.

I love Star Trek, but one thing I told myself before launch was if they don't get the servers stable by the end of the so called headstart they aren't getting lifetime from me... If they don't have the game smooth by the end of my free month... I'm outta here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
I do not mind there being some initial problems.

What I mind is that it takes FOREVER to get things back up and running (this can NOT be the fastest they can bring these systems back up), and the near total blackout of information from within Cryptic.

Just give us some communication, such as, "The servers will take extra time to come back on line because we are patching them with some code which we hope will resolve our ongoing issues."

Is that too much to ask?
I agree completely. All I ask is that they try to communicate. It shows that they care about what's going on.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbheep View Post
All these kids using WoW as the grand example of an MMO launch should remember that no on expected WoW to be the phenomenon it became, and that its launch was AWFUL. Just because launches are usually terrible lately doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more. **** and LoTRO both worked at launch off the top of my head, and I don't recall SWGs launch as being particularily problematic but that could be because I was mostly playing off peak times.
Still, Two hour waits? I think you forgot a ten, sir.
**** worked at launch?!?! How much pot did you smoke that week and damn... it must have been great quality for you to remember it as a good launch.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
Launch woes...

Everquest, do not know
Wow - 2hour waits in the quest to get logged in...
SWG virtually NONE of the crafting systems and some of the combat classes were not working at launch
COH- decent start little laggy
Shadowrealms - TOTAL gme change between beta and launch
Champions on line-became Getting mugged online at launch
EQ2 fair enough except that crafting a sandwhich could kill you and walking through the city took as much time as doing quests

but if we had multiple server at least more than one might be up....just have the toons mirrored on the other serers, have a back up server ready to go when the main box dies
What do any of these things have to do with this product?

Seriously - I haven't paid for any of them at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Out of all of the MMO's I've played, ****'s been the only one that's had a really smooth launch. Didn't have any problems with it. STO is doing fine, my lag is minimal for the most part, and there's bugs in the game which can be annoying but definitely not game-breaking to me. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Except for the servers being down all the time. That part sucks, I always have bad luck and they go off right when I'm about to finish a mission, never fails. >_<
Lt. Commander
# 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannyone View Post
I agree completely. All I ask is that they try to communicate. It shows that they care about what's going on.
I think that's fair, or rather it will be once the game launches. For the next couple days All Hands on Deck to keep things going and figure out where problems are coming from is prolly more important than telling us what they're up to. Once it launches I'm sure they'll have a dedicated person to update the news every day or every reset and not just once or twice a week.