Lt. Commander
# 1 Teams and Questing
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi,

can someone clarify or point me to an existing useful thread that discusses closed teaming and questing?

I have a few friends and we'd like to create a closed team and cooperatively do some of the quests. I've read that getting into the same "instance" can be tricky.
  • What happens if one person in team is higher rank than the others? How are the rewards split?
  • If one person in a team has already completed a quest, can that person still join that space/ground instance and "help" the others? Seems like I can't join a ground mission or enter a sector if I don't have the quest but people in my team do.

Closed teaming isn't very well described in any of the documentation I've found. Quite disappointing for an MMO. We're not interested in the "fastest" way to level, whether or not quests can be solo'd or if it's quicker with open public teams.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Team setup couldn't be any easier.

Next to your minimap, you"ll find an arrow pointing down.

Access it and choose Social, make sure all your friends also do this.

You can adjust it to your liking under the "Team Settings" tab.

The mode that would suit you best would probably be "Allow Requests" or "Closed teams"
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks Peter. But it's not the setup of teams that I'm interested in but rather how questing works when in closed teams. But I appreciate your response.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Questing when in teams works the same way as your alone.

On ground missions, instead of NPCs, you share those 5 slots with your teammates, but it's always 5 people.

During space mission, you have more enemies to compensate for the number of players.

Missions itself can be joined at any time by any team member as long as someone who has the mission zoned in first.

Mission can only be shared with players of the appropriate level, usually 1 or 2 levels maximum difficulty above the player your trying to share it with.

Even if your teammates does not have your mission and they can not get credit, they do get credit 'experience' for the kills, just not as rewarding in the end.

Hope this answers your question.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I think what he means is, instead of being randomly assigned to any group with strangers, he'd like to hit up the same instances with his friends, which is somewhat difficult to do without a lot of prep. I've been trying to find a simpler way to do this myself, as the purpose of my guild/fleet/team is character and group progression, we work very tightly together and rely on communication in ventrilo. It would just be nice if you could group up with your buds and not have to do the instance dance or have to bring along tard rushing loot mongers.

If anyone could give a solid answer to the original poster, I'd greatly appreciate it myself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, the idea still works the same way as missions.

Just make sure you have 1 person zone in first and wait a few. I have never seen this not work.

And if it's not working as intended, you should submit a bug report.

Only time this would not work are for global instance like a starbase where everything is shared with other players. In other words cap is at 50, you have 3 friends. You join an instant that happens that was at 48, your 3rd friend will end up in another instance.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks Peter for the answer. That sounds promising. We'll have to try it out. Our first impression (with some of the newbie missions - right after the tutorial) was that it seemed to not work unless all had quest themselves. We'll give it another shot.