So what the excuse now?
TRIBBLES!!!!!:p
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Umm, they run on M$ servers?
Nope, about a 80% chance they run on oracle machines with solaris 10.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannyone View Post
Agreed! Even though it is an inconvenience. Oh and I would be surprised if they have problems on Launch day as well... That's how some of these things go!

What I do not appreciate is the lack of communication on Cryptic's part. They should know this might happen. And there should be staff on hand to deal with it and communicate with their customers too.
"launch"day is a Tuesday. some of us have jobs and work for a living. i sat down today to spend the day playin star trek, and instead spent the day in the forums waiting.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
The instability issues will not be solved by launch day. At times, this makes me wonder if I should pony up for the Lifetime sub.

The game has issues and it will continue to have issues for some time. Had they achieved stability during the public beta, I wouldn't be singing this tune. But I'm not trashing Cryptic over it. Should they have done a better job? Obviously. Shoulda, coulda woulda. That's all in the past.

Bottom line, it's 2 am, headstart weekend and I'm waiting for the server to come back up. Yeah, unless stability issues have prevented me from getting into striking distance of Cammander by Monday, I'm going to buy the sub. Either way, I'll still be playing.

Am I annoyed and frustrated by the down time? You bet. Fact is, I feel this way because I'm having so much fun when it's up.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziros
You're my new God.
Be sure to take some twigs and berries for a sacrifice.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziros
Nope, about a 80% chance they run on oracle machines with solaris 10.
They better be.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
So what the excuse now?
This is war.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy View Post
This is war.
wOOOOOar !

Glad to see you here Samy :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicorx
Same old excuse, are we going to be saying the same thing in 50 years time too...
If in a situation like this, yes.
All of human history is built on trial and error; correcting problems so they no longer exist. I don't know why you think 50 years would make a difference, or 100, or 1,000.

Quote:
Cryptic should have enough experience developing and launching MMO's now that these kind of issues can be identified and fixed quickly, whilst also communicating with its player base.
Every MMO is unique, every server configuration built anew from the ground up. And I dare say STO has probably attracted more attention than any of their prior MMOs, so they're quite possibly confronted with load issues of the likes they've never encountered before.

Quote:
Turbine are the perfect example of a company who's MMO launches are close to perfect... I don't remember LOTRO having any huge issues at launch.
Uhm... yeah.
LotRO was the first MMO I was in the beta for. While it did seem pretty stable.... that game is as slow as molasses. STO is much... MUCH... faster pace and action packed than LotRO. A lot more happens a lot quicker in this game and that will inherently present more opportunities for problems.

I'm actually curious how the opening day numbers will compare between the two. Both are powerful IPs and both came out shortly after related films, and interestingly both are portrayed slightly different than those films; LotRO didn't model after Newline's characters/music/etc., and this is based in the Prime timeline versus Abram's new one.

I'm still thinking, though... that more folks are here for this release than there were for LotRO... but that's just coming from my gut.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Drake
either you are trying to troll or you have the brain IQ that matches my shoe size. Either way, explaining to you is a waste of breath.

White knighting for Cryptic again?

As for the whole IQ/shoe size bit, you're implying he has an IQ of 8? You know what they say, the smaller the shoe size the smaller the... yea, thought so.