Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukhufu
This game is not one huge open server .. there is one Hub from which you get shuffled to instanced zones with a max of 5 players in each instance. If you signed up for massive multiplayer you have been cheated like everyone else.
Max 5 players huh? You sure you're not exaggerating the instancing? Here's a hint: you are.

Unless of course you've never left the tutorial, then you might be right.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytram View Post
Max 5 players huh? You sure you're not exaggerating the instancing? Here's a hint: you are.

Unless of course you've never left the tutorial, then you might be right.
I'll admit to some drunken enraged exaggeration there .. but I think my point is clear and precise. Sector space is the hub... everything else I have entered is instanced.

I understand its head-start beta but from open beta to now i have never encountered more than 5 players anywhere but sector space ... and ...if you have been in sector space ... well .. thats no place you want to spend anytime in at all.

I purchased this game for one reason and one reason only... Genesis exploration.

Perhaps I was and AM confused. Probably Both. Only two things are for certain:
1: this is not a traditional MMO
2: Willy Nelson only smokes killer weed
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Eve Online is one server and i honestly don't see why everyone would do it that way. You are ALWAYS with everyone else. Never have low populations, never have to worry about where your friends are, and it is very established technology.

EVE has been doing it for something like 8 years and they are doing great. I wouldn't worry about the server end of things. There are sure to be issues that far outweigh this one.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Quote:
I'll admit to some drunken enraged exaggeration there .. but I think my point is clear and precise. Sector space is the hub... everything else I have entered is instanced.

I understand its head-start beta but from open beta to now i have never encountered more than 5 players anywhere but sector space ... and ...if you have been in sector space ... well .. thats no place you want to spend anytime in at all.

I purchased this game for one reason and one reason only... Genesis exploration.

Well I'm not sure how Genesis Exploration will be implemented if it's anything like the "explore so and so sector" missions that already exist, it will not be good. Sector space is an abortion, with it's huge grid making a floor in space and the inability to do anything except go to already mapped out systems. I mean they don't go for immersion one bit in this game. Forget walking around planets as well, they're all tiny instanced little maps that vanish into thin air as soon as you leave them. So much for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
Eve Online is one server and i honestly don't see why everyone would do it that way. You are ALWAYS with everyone else. Never have low populations, never have to worry about where your friends are, and it is very established technology.

EVE has been doing it for something like 8 years and they are doing great. I wouldn't worry about the server end of things. There are sure to be issues that far outweigh this one.
Something to be said about repeating past mistakes over and over and not learning and improving upon something that has already been proven to work and work famously, hmm?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 03:09 AM
Quote:
..... quoter edited out as not needed for reply.....
well.. i cannot argue against you there.

oh and several have said.. yes its one shard, server, realm, world, what ever else you wanna called it.. that we are all in.. just broken up into instances.. that you can move between... but it is not one physical computer.. its is lots and lots and lots of computers, wires, magic pixie dust wands, hampsters, switchs, hubs, routers, telepathic projecters, and the flying dutchman.. that make up this game
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 03:15 AM
No, its in shards and instances.

This was works fairly decently, and allows them to increase the amount of players in each 'area' bit by bit.

Champions online had a 100-200 player cap in its huge 'zone' instances (Which were huge maps) and then its interiors had about a 100 cap too.

Im pretty sure they will increase the interior caps on this game to at least 100 (starbases etc) and then, eventually, fleet instances and so forth.

Deep space encounters were lowered to 5-9 people because any more made them ridiculously easy.

People have been spoiled by the mmo's that have 1000's of players on one area, so they 'think' this is not a mmo.

It is infact a MMO, it qualifies under all categories, regardless of what they think.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 05:47 AM
I just think 70 to 5 is a step backwards in gaming evolution. I understand I havn't come anywhere close to endgame but this is not what I anticipated or expected. /shrug ... but like ten years later .. take an obvious step forward please.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post

Ever been in a big fleet battle in EVE with hundreds of ships in the same place?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 06:09 AM
No ..but I've ate acid .. stuck my head up my ass and climbed a tree backwards!

Point is I did that all by myself! .. This Game feels more like a single player than an MMO.

Maybe I'm still trippin?
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:

Maybe I'm still trippin?

Yep, you are.