Lt. Commander
# 41
01-31-2010, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminorum View Post
Since the last poster mentioned Eve , I mentioned to a friend that STO is one server like Eve, but divided into instances with certain things. This got him interested after watching me play for a couple hours, but then I went on to mention all the unexpected downtime and to wait a couple weeks after launch to get the game. I logged on to Eve during the last downtime where there were 50k+ accounts logged on, did a few missions, did some mining with 5-6 people, and there were no problems, no lag, no disconnect. Granted Eve has been around since 2003, but I would think Cryptic would have known how to create a stable server with a MMO that, according to my friend, is much less complex than Eve. I couldn't understand all the technical jargon he was spouting off, but kinda disappointed now of all these problems Cryptic is having.

Are these problems expected for a new MMO, YES!! Should the frequency of these problems be expected at the official launch? I really hope not. I love Star Trek, grew up with it, and spent the money to be a lifetime member. I really hope I don't reget it.
Its not a single 'server' but a cluster of servers in a farm working together. Cryptic have already stated in previous posts that they have received and installed new servers into the game. If I recall correctly, Eve is also a server farm and each server looks after a galaxy (or whatever) and when you move around, you jump from server to server, but they are independant.

(on a completely geeky note, I also believe they use top of the range solid state drives now as well)

People really need to move away from this 'single server is bad' like cryptic has engineers / developer who dont have a clue.

And if someone wants to come back and say 'even if its a lot of servers, it is still defined as a single server' , please dont humiliate yourself with such rubbish. As a cluster engineer, I find comments like this a true 'facepalm' moment.

Many large enterprises employ numerous dedicated server machines. A collection of servers in one location is commonly referred to as a server farm. If very heavy traffic is expected, load balancing is usually employed to distribute the requests among the various servers so that no single machine is overwhelmed. Hence single "Service" but multiple "servers"
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-31-2010, 03:22 AM
the actual name of all the servers does not mater.. the server.. works just fine for most..

so even though it is not one physical computer.. its is lots and lots and lots of computers, wires, magic pixie dust wands, hampsters, switchs, hubs, routers, telepathic projecters, and the flying dutchman.. that make up this game

i still want to see it all light ablaze on launch .. via live webcam.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-31-2010, 03:41 AM
OK.. weekly checkin to see the condition of STO

Condition - Unknown due to not being able to get online

Result - Back to playing ME2, back in a week to be sorely dissapointed again..

Conclussion - Cryptic still havnt smelt the coffee... you release a MMO on a hugely popular IP when spread globally and put your hands in the air when you get more subs then expected, 2 weeks of beta crunching and still screw the pooch with server capacity issues...

I went from excited about it prior to open beta, to sadly dissapointed with the numerous bugs and out of there mind type design flaws, to just plain cant be stuffed even checking the damn game..

spend a little to make a little i say..
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-31-2010, 03:44 AM
Have they actually said anywhere it's running on 1 Server????

and if so wtf are the specs for this thing???? i mean come on it would have to be a MONSTER!! this is a Huge IP we are talking about here. you know probably like every "trekkie" in the world is probably gonna be playing this let **** probably pre-ordred not to mention the people coming from other mmo's or this being their 1st time or whatever the case.

Instancing is basicaly a cheap way of running something. its basically like Virtual Servers cost less but demands a hell of alot more if you throw to much at it but very iffecient if no load. However we the Consumer who are paying for the Game get shafted because that means less hardware and more downtime/instability when more demand then resources are available.

Regardless of the way they are doing it and whoever Design it needs to get 2 in the bakc of teh head in some dark ally and call it a day along with anyone else in charge who setup in this fail manner, This is unacceptable, Regardless of the MMO.

2 things show when this happens 1.) Mismangment of Funds, & 2.) People who don't know what they are Doing period.

The 1st MMO's i can understand but Gneration after Generation all having the same problems is just plain retarded. You would think people would learn by now and learn of the mistales of other that you can's skimp out on hardware. and to stop pushing game sout b4 they are ready, Stop giving Bllsheit time frames, If i ran my business teh way these companies due i woudla went out years ago, You give your client or people wanting to make contratcs with you nobulshiet assignmenst and if they don't like it they can either go on to somsone else who will tell them the same thing or they'll find some who will bend over and feed them what they wanna hear.

and no MMO's arn't supposed to be like this i'm sorry, if you feel that way yoru just jadded and accepting of the fact whihc then enturn allows them to do this.

people like you are the worst this is why these companies(let alone other things in life) feel like they can get aay with stuff because eyoru so complacent, Ur the type of people who wouldn't mind getting ased ra@ped and then afterwards be like "it is what it is"
/rolls eyes maybe in your world. but in reality were you actually are worthless basicaly you'll never amount to anything because you except that fat doong slaped in yoru face, u should just hang yourself from a giraffe dieck's since you suck on cornhole.

MMO's should not have these problems anymore, They have access to huge ammounts of Play base with lots of diferent client hardware during betas they know what to expect. it's just an excuss not to correct them. and it's a poor excuss when it happens it show syou the integrity of the people in charge whihc is worthless.

Now grant it they can possible fix these things at later points but it leaves a bad tatse in our mouths.

In running a Business all we have is our names and if you Constantly sully it why would anyone trust you.

With all the other post I agree i'm afraid of whats gonna happen on Open Launch.

Now City of Heroes/Villians I thought was a good showcase on Virtual Servers(at 1st), However they went to far with this game to the point of Desocializing and removing the player base. 5-32+per Instance area wtf??? not to mention Everything is assinine Instanced.

Sol system should be caped at 100+ add more feel to the aww of a space fleet, Sector space should be the same actuall ingame Fight should then be instance to either 5 man teams and or zones that are open to a fleet size party of up to 25+ so you don't feel so alone because your not. I wanna see giant fleets going at it and being able to say yea i cma eout of that alive while almost everyone else go creamed.

I know this game makes you and trys to make you feel alone not to mention not wnat to chat because your not really playing a char your flying a ship and your your own captain so to hell with others. It's a game thats real impersonal butb still.

it has the same Feel that every other game of it's kind does where your not really lvling a char, Auto Assualt had the same feel as this but was more open and less Instance but it failed(really liked that game wish it didn't die i would still be playing that).

ignorant people(idiocracy), hate them so much, you all need to be put on an island so i can glass it.

mmm time for bed. fun reading all(especialy you grammer police grow up it's the net not school learn some reading comprehension skills if it hurts that bad).
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonphase View Post
100,000? Try at least a million.

Yes. I think many people bought/will buy this game.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Really multiply the population by tenfold on Feb2nd? I really don't see it. Considering 90% of the people who preordered are playing now, most people that WANTED this game preordered. I don't expect much more than a 25% increase on release day. In all likeliness by March 2nd the population will be down around 50% what it is now.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Don't worry, all the people who are going to be playing the game are already in the headstart. The numbers will only decrease from here.

There are aspects of this game that I like, but overall I think it will provide maybe a month of enjoyment before it becomes old to me.

At first I didn't really like the ground game (beta) but now it is my favourite part of the game. I think that the space combat really lacks the feel of star trek.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masclobo View Post
Don't worry, all the people who are going to be playing the game are already in the headstart. The numbers will only decrease from here.

There are aspects of this game that I like, but overall I think it will provide maybe a month of enjoyment before it becomes old to me.

At first I didn't really like the ground game (beta) but now it is my favourite part of the game. I think that the space combat really lacks the feel of star trek.
Riiight. Want me to throw a few energy credits your way so you can buy a tinfoil hat?

Every single MMO has problems at least for a few weeks after launch while the servers get stable.

If you want bad stability, go to WoW. 5 years later and theyre still having problems, on dead servers.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-31-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonphase View Post
100,000? Try at least a million.
Until they get to lvl 6 and try Klingons and see the dark side of STO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Riiight. Want me to throw a few energy credits your way so you can buy a tinfoil hat?

Every single MMO has problems at least for a few weeks after launch while the servers get stable.

If you want bad stability, go to WoW. 5 years later and theyre still having problems, on dead servers.
tinfoil hat for what? Dude was stating an opinion and that the gamew is gonna get old for him, and you jump on the "stability/tinfoil hat" train, trying to make HIM look a fool lol
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masclobo View Post
I'm with you, the ground game is my favorite part of the game so far. The problem with space combat all I feel I am doing is spamming my space bar while turning in a circle. Besides the server instability, I am enjoying the game.