Lt. Commander
I pre-ordered the special edition of Star Trek Online from Gamestop, turned out the pre-order benefits are only for Gamestop in the U.S. and the shop here in Ireland do not give keys, another guy however gave me a key for Beta which he is not using, I wanted to get the pre-order so I could get a lifetime subcription and the borg character, can I do this with the key given to me or are the keys tied to the actual game you ordered? I don't want to log in with a key and sign up for the lifetime membership only to have it take effect on an account other than my own? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm a complete noob to gaming and I don't really understand how the whole game downloading/instalation and keys works.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serinas View Post
I pre-ordered the special eddition of Star Trek Online from Gamestop, turned out the pre-order benefits are only for Gamestop in the U.S. and the shop here in Ireland do not give keys, another guy however gave me a key for Beta which he is not using, I wanted to get the pre-order so I could get a lifetime subcription and the borg character, can I do this with the key given to me or are the keys tied to the actual game you ordered? I don't want to log in with a key and sign up for the lifetime membership only to have it take effect on an account other than my own? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm a complete noob to gaming and I don't really understand how the whole game downloading/instalation and keys works.
Okay, first of all:-

The lifetime membership is not a limited-time offer. What they have right now is a sale price that comes with extra perks (the Borg playable race and character slots). If you miss the deadline, don't worry, you can still buy a lifetime subscription later. The price will go up to US$299, and it won't have the promotional extras, but the lifetime will always be available.

With that out of the way:

There are two kinds of beta key. One of them is just a beta key - and beta is over. This was the sort given out free by websites and promotions.

The other kind is a preorder key; this is the sort you get from, well, preordering the game. This gave access to beta, currently gives access to headstart, and makes you eligible for the lifetime subscription offer.

You need to be sure what kind of key your friend gave you. If it's the first kind, it's useless now. If it's the second...then we're in business.

Assuming he hasn't activated the key himself (and if he's giving it to you, I assume he hasn't)...

Then preorder keys are just keys. Don't worry - they don't have any account attached to them. Rather, when you log into the website and enter them at http://startrekonline.com/betacard, what you're doing is attaching them to YOUR account.

My recommendation: just try the key. No harm in doing so. If it doesn't work, you'll get an error message - so no worries.

If it works, when you go to your account settings/dashboard, you should see 'Star Trek Online - Preorder' listed as an activated code/product.

If this is the case, you can then proceed to buy the lifetime through the website.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 06:51 AM
A beta key is not the same as pre-order. Pre-order gave access to beta though. To see if you can buy your lifetime, see here if it's gray or not. If not, try to get a pre-order key today before the offer is expired!

On the main website, click on "My account" in the top-right corner and you should what you have. Mine shows "Star Trek Online - Preorder"

The retail key is what you get in the box.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I tried the key and it didn't work, is there any way I can get a pre-order key without buying the whole game all over again?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 07:08 AM
I think you could cancel the order on Gamestop. I don't know how it works with them. Try to log in with the username and password you were given.

At this point, seeing the shops in Ireland don't give you pre-order keys, I'd tell you to get a digital version from Steam, Impulse, Gamersgate, Xfire or whatever. I can't guarantee any of them would give you the pre-order key right now though. Impulse did for me. You won't get the physical loot though. Anyway, I head the communicator badge is not available in Europe.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd suggest doing what GhostMatter did. If you haven't paid GameStop Ireland yet, if you cancel before Friday, it should be fine.

Ordering from one of the online retailers like Steam or Direct2Drive UK...should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMatter View Post
Anyway, I head the communicator badge is not available in Europe.
Yeah, no commbadge.

Most European retailers are selling the 'Gold Edition' rather than the Collector's Edition, which comes with different physical boxed extras. It does have the same DS9/Voyager and TNG uniforms as the Collector's Ed, though.

Amazon Germany does have the American-style CE, but it's hideously expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Ok thanks, cancelled the Gamestop order and got it online. I suppose the last question is - if they don't send me the pre-order key before the deadline of the pre-order date, will logging in using the key at a later date still give me the bonus stuff?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Other people had this problem. Send Cryptic an email with a copy of your purchase order form and they can provide a key for you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Q: How does the pre-order work? How do I get into Open Beta and the Head Start?

A: When you purchase the preorder, you’ll receive a Key that works for Open Beta and Head Start. Keys will either be e-mailed to you or given to you at the store. Each retailer is sending out keys at different times so check with them about timing.

Q: What happens if I don't receive my key?

A: It's really up to the retailer to provide you with a key for your pre-order. We'll try to help as we can, but they should always be your first contact.

Q: Will I receive my retailer exclusives during the Head Start?

A: No. The exclusives are tied to the retail product, not to the preorder key. In other words, you’ll need to purchase the full version of the game and input that key.
Please read the Preorder FAQ located here... http://www.startrekonline.com/preorder-faq
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puella
Other people had this problem. Send Cryptic an email with a copy of your purchase order form and they can provide a key for you.
I'm unable to find the appropriate email address to use, a little help?