Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 07:59 AM
I am a full time + employee, married with kids. Avid MMORPG player as well. I will say the STO is not particularly friendly to towards players that need to manage time.

- Not indication how long a mission component will take. Some missions look short and quick and turn out to be long involved.
- The single man missions can only be paused to 45 second (which is better than none). Few missions have wandering patrols so often you can just clean up the local area and your good for the 15 minute idle time out.

On the good side however,

- There is no death penalty so if you die, no big deal, just come back and some missions will even let you start where you left off.
- You can log out anywhere, any time. Which is great for when you draw wife agro.

I would like the ability to be replaced by a drone ship or BO of other member of the party when you have to log out. Nothing worse than loosing your only science officer at the end of a long ground based mission
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 08:14 AM
I have time to play maybe 2 or 3 hours a day, 3 or 4 days a week. I played in OB. STO is a pretty nice casual MMO. You don't need to dedicated retarded amounts of time to it to get anywhere. You can log in for an hour or two and accomplish something and have fun -it's not like you need to dedicate 5 hour play sessions to actually get anywhere. IMO that's a really strong point of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Huh.

You'd think a "full time employeed adult" would be sensitible enough to realize that the first few weeks of ANY new MMORPG is shakey and unpredictable, and would be mature enough to accept it without pointing out how precious his time is.

Weird.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtedExtra
I am a full time + employee, married with kids. Avid MMORPG player as well. I will say the STO is not particularly friendly to towards players that need to manage time.

- Not indication how long a mission component will take. Some missions look short and quick and turn out to be long involved.
- The single man missions can only be paused to 45 second (which is better than none). Few missions have wandering patrols so often you can just clean up the local area and your good for the 15 minute idle time out.

On the good side however,

- There is no death penalty so if you die, no big deal, just come back and some missions will even let you start where you left off.
- You can log out anywhere, any time. Which is great for when you draw wife agro.

I would like the ability to be replaced by a drone ship or BO of other member of the party when you have to log out. Nothing worse than loosing your only science officer at the end of a long ground based mission
i disagree. while individual missions can take up to an hour (so far), i feel like i make a fair amount of progress while playing only one or two full missions a day.

and there's lots of opportunities to afk between the action during missions, as long as you're not in a group.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
Just wanted to talk to other full time employed adults who have bought this game.

My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.

So with these "teething" problems it means that if I try and plan for a little bit of STO time I have twice now found myself unable to play.

Now I am a patient man and when the server is up I am having a bit of a ball.

But I was wondering if this would make it hard for anyone to continue playing this game?
down time chaos will improve once the launch settles.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
This is one reason why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get a lifetime subscription or not. I am just not sure if it is worth it, what with their unpreparedness, their irresponsibility of rushing this game, and their current business practices with their other MMO as potential indicators of what we might face down the road... I am just unsure at this point. The game is fun... but repetitive and shallow, and for that I am not sure what kind of longevity this game ultimately has.
This is my concern exactly as a subscriber to CO.