Lt. Commander
This needs to happen, to expect everyone to connect to one server farm, pretty much from everywhere is not the greatest idea.

There are two golden eggs when it comes to games like these.

Star Trek and Starwars

If you fix it up right you will be swimming in cash, get it wrong however, and no one will touch another cryptic mmo again. You have a cash cow here, waiting to be milked.

MMOS have been around for a long time now, so the whole "You need to expect this sort of thing at launch" argument doesn't cut it anymore.

We as paying customers should not have accept this, nor should you expect us to.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
5th thread about this today

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Cryptic should ring Funcom or SOE and ask to move into their data centre in Amsterdam and then setup an EU server.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou1975 View Post
This needs to happen, to expect everyone to connect to one server farm, pretty much from everywhere is not the greatest idea.

There are two golden eggs when it comes to games like these.

Star Trek and Starwars

If you fix it up right you will be swimming in cash, get it wrong however, and no one will touch another cryptic mmo again. You have a cash cow here, waiting to be milked.

MMOS have been around for a long time now, so the whole "You need to expect this sort of thing at launch" argument doesn't cut it anymore.

We as paying customers should not have accept this, nor should you expect us to.
I completely agree that the stability is an issue.

I completely disagree with the idea of segregating servers.

See my previous post (check my history) for why.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 10:09 AM
For all we know they have server parks in different areas with quick connections between them. Wouldn't be the first company to do that. Without knowing the exact location/setup of the STO server cluster(s) it's no point arguing for/against creating separate shards.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't know much about IT, but this sounds like a pretty huge undertaking...