Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
IMO I like this game. Yes there are currently some server stability issues, and it can be somewhat linear when it comes to missions and battles. But it's.... fun
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Sykes
He's just copying and pasting current nerd rage posts because this isn't WoW in space. I'm tired of people *****ing the game servers crash, all MMOs crash, WoW launch probably holds a record for crashes at launch, and people seem to think spending 97 hours solving a puzzle is fun. I play MMOs to blow **** up and have fun, not get frustrated trying to find a Andromedian screw driver in a Klingon Nebula to fix Deep Space whatever.
Nerd rage huh.

You do see the irony right lol.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
I would suggest not listening to the QQ'ers. MMO's at launch are always a bit dodgy, and remain so for quite awhile. People tend to forget that wow had problems months after release, because that release was over 5 years ago. By the time I started playing (just before 1.7), it had gotten most of it's kinks worked out. But then again most popular servers around that time had hour waits to get in, the game still had place holder graphics for some of the Tier armor, along with random crashes and what not. In short I would suggest that you remain cool headed about the game and the down time you are bound to have as they work it all out.

On the other hand I'm playing it, and I bought lifetime for the exact reason you are talking about. I'm a little burned out on WoW, the game play here is very very different , and at least at this point a little loser. Then again I'm basing that opinion on getting to LC5, which in WoW terms is about level... 20ish. So yeah end game (when it gets put in) could be different. But the way I figure is, I get burned out on wow for a bit, come here and blow up starships until I'm green in the face, and then go get my fantasy on.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 10:13 AM
If you like ground flooring an MMO, STO is a good one that has the potential to be amazing, unlike CO. Aside from the persistent bugs from beta like the Bridge Officer rewards the game is fairly solid and stable. Albeit fairly unbalanced at the moment due to the skill cap. HOWEVER, neither Cryptic, their server admins nor the ISP involved was prepared for the deluge of players. And as such the server itself is a steaming pile.

Overall, I'd give it a C right now, with a potential grade of A if many of the issues we are experiencing get cleared up in the next few days. Overall, I'd say hold off for a few weeks unless you have a decent tolerance for frustration. If you can handle the kicks and server downs, right now is a fine time to get in.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhan21 View Post
ok so i would like to know is this game any good like is this game worth getting on feb 2nd or like should i just stick with WoW untill swtor comes out.
Basically if you are a ST fan and want to be able to explore the universe in your Enterprise, beam down to strange planets and explore new civilisations and boldly go where no one has gone before, this is not the game for you.

If you want to experience tense standoffs with Romulan Warbirds, trying diplomacy, maybe beaming aboard their ship and fighting to take over their bridge or vice versa, they beam into your ship and you have to defend it, then I am afraid this not the game for you.

If you want to actually walk around your ship, train up professions on your ship and do some quests on your ship while you warp to your destination then I am afraid this is not the game for you.

If you want faction v faction pvp like it is in Star trek, you know Feds v Romulan v Kilngon v Borg then this is not the game for you.

If you expect planets to be circular and teaming with life and not small flat rectangles with no life at all then this is not the game for you.

If you think missions should be immersive and interesting involving diplomacy, strange new worlds and totally different interiors then again this is not the game for you.

I Star Trek to you is about freedom, flying through the vastness of space, checking out that sensor reading, orbiting planets and scanning for life then beaming down all without loading screens then again it's not for you, infact you can't even go through a door without a loading screen.

HOWEVER

If all you want is a series of mini ST themed games where you get to run around the same interior or planet over and over again firing your phaser, then this may be the game for you. If you like the sound of nearly every mission in space being to the format of go here, kill 3 waves of [insert ship name here] beam down to planet click 5 flashy things, beam back to ship kill 3 more waves of [insert name here] then this may be the game for you. And finally if you are totally gullable then this is most certainly the game for you.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Wait on WOW until Star Wars comes out .... WOW is a deeper , more involved game. Then when star wars comes out that is showing alot more things that you can do compared to star trek in its form now.