Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by framinal View Post
but i know enough that if i bought a car in 2009, i hope it wouldnt have the problems they had 10-15 years ago
Indeed :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
i know i know, all MMOs have historically had problems at launches , umm arent ppl supposed to learn from
mistakes?
at what point will devs step up and makes things smooth?
no i dont have any ideas on how to do this as im not a dev or in the computer/server field
but i know enough that if i bought a car in 2009, i hope it wouldnt have the problems they had 10-15 years ago

just because all MMOs do this at launch doesnt make it right
That's a really horrible analogy.....cars and massive software programs running on a server farm aren't even the same galaxy of being comparable. Cars are "hardware". MMORPGS are massive software programs running on hardware.

Take it this way: If your Windows is crashing the computer, but its not the hardware, you'd have to fix the software, right? In a mmorpg, I can't even begin to imagine how many millions of lines of code there are to sort out. Maybe you could tell me.

So yea, the only mmorpg I've been through that could have been called a "smooth" launch was LOTRO. All the rest have been like this.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
i know i know, all MMOs have historically had problems at launches , umm arent ppl supposed to learn from
mistakes?
at what point will devs step up and makes things smooth?
no i dont have any ideas on how to do this as im not a dev or in the computer/server field

People keeping saying all MMOs suck at launch, but **** didn't have these problems. I haven't played every MMO under the Sun, I've played WoW, ****, and this... Guess whose launch was WAY WAY WAY WAY worse than the other three? I'll give you a hint, I'm posting this on their board right now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
And, therin is your problem.

Quote:
Server farms aren't cars. If they were you would have a point. There are a number of problems that you just can't work out until things go live as there is no way to simulate "live". Beta's can get close, but not all the way. Cars are much simpler (there are millions of lines of code working here), have been somewhat unchanged for many many years (tech is still moving VERY fast so the software technology hasn't been being in use for decades to get to that point), and you can test a car in *harder* than real life at a race track (for us nothing is rougher than live).

Quote:
It is mostly software in general. It is why the place I work can and has to charge 150k for a piece of software. We do mission critical (911, credit cards, etc) where losses and fines can exceed 1 million a minute of downtime. If they could even develop a testing cycle such as ours for such a large project (ours tend to be narrow in scope - do one thing and do that well) it would take decades to get out. Heck, we are still shipping products on OS's from 6-10 years ago because of that.

It may not be right, it may suck - but it is reality. I'm sure someone that happens to wander into a den of hungry lions feels it isn't right (and I would agree), yet they still get ate for supper. Reality tends to trump anything we feel about situations like this being right or wrong. It will take a month or so to get most of these things worked out and until/unless this type of project becomes canned software it will always be thus.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm sad that nobody has quoted me, someone quote this!
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfindel View Post
This game should still be in beta, there are not still small errors to be fixed experienced by only a few, there are MAJOR GOD DAMN MALFUNCTIONS. I've played many mmos at launch and they all have problems, thisone simply has more of them. Also, most people arent ****ed because the game is crashing they're ****ed because the entire point of the preorder was the "headstart" which is going to end up being a day and a half of the 3 playable days that have been promised since the beginning. Kick it back to beta and call me when you have a finished product.
Besides the fact that all mmo servers crash a lot during head starts and full launch the other thing that happens is most everyone says, "This game should still be in beta"
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyrogers
They didn't have drive-by-wire 10-15 years ago. The Toyota death-trap problem is two fold:

1. The ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL bugs out and go full throttle with no user control. A problem conventional linked throttle doesn't have.
2. People don't know how to put their cars in neutral. Put the car in neutral, calmly apply the breaks. That's all it takes to not die.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
There is a major fallicy here. The only way to learn from past mistakes is if that information is given out. But Blizzard does not go around to Cryptic and other MMO studios and warn them of past mistakes. You don't see CCP giving their code out to other developers to make a new MMO. The *best* you can do is hope that you have institutional memory from developing another MMO.

Every time a new MMO is made it is esentially starting from scratch. It took WoW how many years for the code to get to the point it is now, and even then there have been some very bad, buggy patches. It took Eve Online years in hardware and software development to be able to handle to load in Jita (1,000 people crammed int he same uninstanced solar system).

To say a game needs more months in beta means nothing more that a game will perpetually be in beta until the investment funds run out. Unless you are willing to give the funds to Cryptic so they can continue doing beta work.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfindel View Post
I dont pay to understand how a game is made, I pay for the finished product. Would you enjoy eating a jelly filled Donut filled with chalk because the cook didnt test his recipe before he served it to you? Thats the point of BETA TESTING or alpha for that matter, you dont shell out an unfinished product just to meet a deadline.
Apart from the server issues, STO is one of the more polished pre-launch (since it doesn't "launch" 'til Tuesday) MMOs I've experienced, going back to ***, WoW, SWG, **** and AO. Whatever your issues are from a "this game is broken" standpoint, I don't know what to tell you. My play, when I'm actually able to get into the game, has been flawless from a technical standpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Most of your crashes are hardware related. I don't mean that something is wrong with your system. I am talking about the game with your hardware.

I run Cross-fired 4890'. I can easily max everything out on this game and make it very pretty. However, doing this causes the game to crash often. So for now, I play it on the lowest settings and I almost never crash out of the game.

I would suggest trying the same, at least on your away missions as those seem to have the most problems.

After a few weeks, most issues with hardware will be sorted out.