Lt. Commander
# 1 Open beta vs Head Start
01-31-2010, 10:40 AM
heh, cryptic thought open beta was rough for the server's. You should have anticipated what i'm going to say now, you see open beta (most) people play just to feel/test the game a few will tweak it, but most will play only few hours a day. And yet you still had server problems. Head start is a whole nother ball-field people take off work, get as much caffine/drugs/whatever to play most the day an race to level cap. Kinda dissapointing that you didn't anticipate this and thought your upgrades during open beta was enough. anyway I really do hope all ends well, and you guys are prepared for actual launch, because assuming theres alot of trekkies out there that still haven't heard about STO that will soon...
I've played alot of MMo's an open beta's it really isn't to bad considering, when playing WOW's beta and then launch was alot more agonizing servers would run for about 15 mins then crash an be down for 30 mins first few days after retail launch, just alittle heads up to the community and cryptic, but i'm sure you all know this already at least I hope cryptic does.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
The first day of open beta I couldn't make a character because the game would crash every 15 minutes and undo my guy. So thinks are improving from my point of view.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Maybe they should have run a true open beta to really stress test their servers instead of the "hunt for a key" silliness they ran.

An open beta means anyone can download a client and use it. Requiring luck or having to pre-order the game to get into an "open" beta means it's not an open beta and you won't have near the same numbers to stress test your server.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keln View Post
Maybe they should have run a true open beta to really stress test their servers instead of the "hunt for a key" silliness they ran.

An open beta means anyone can download a client and use it. Requiring luck or having to pre-order the game to get into an "open" beta means it's not an open beta and you won't have near the same numbers to stress test your server.
Totally agree with you there, but there is alot of things cryptic "coulda/shoulda" done, like really look at what they are picking up. License to Star trek is a pretty heavy load on anyones shoulder's I expect this heat minimal lol, atm the forumss are raging with these types of post...